Downloads
    Uploads

mbus and moe handguard

Howdy folks I am new here but not to firearms,
    in the last year I perchased a dpms ar 15 and so far I am impresed I've put 1600 rounds threw tube with great results no malfunctions I perposely shot 1200 rounds of the 1600 with out cleaning the rifle just to see if it whould malfunction guess what it is reliable as the day is long and shots where I point it.
    the question I have if you all will indulgence my lack of not knowing. I want to instal a moe hand garde and the mbus backup sightsbut there is no place to mount on the garde and I have been told that mounting the mbus on the gas block will result in melting the plastic, what should I do skip the hand garde and go for a monolithic rail or is there some outher way to get that front sight on the rifle any help will be appreciated

Downloads
    Uploads
    Most of the MOE handguards I've seen have been with the standard front sight triangle. The MOE just clamps on like a regular two piece handguard and wouldn't be stable enough to maintain much of a zero either. Your best bet would be to use the standard front sight assembly, a different BUIS on a railed gas block, or go for a free float RIS if you prefer to keep your front BUIS off the gas block.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Man do I feal stupid or what lol prime thank you for geting me on the right track I am fairly new to the ar platform but I just love it what a great gun thanks again

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey, no problem. I've heard much worse things in regards to these guns over the years...

Downloads
    Uploads
    MOE and MBUS works great, I'd even look at tossing on an MOE Trigger guard and grip while you're at it.
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    MOE and MBUS works great, I'd even look at tossing on an MOE Trigger guard and grip while you're at it.
    This is not good advice. The MOE handguards have considerable play to them, similar to standard plastic handguards. Your sights or optics will never hold zero if mounted to something that isn't rock solid.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Captains1911 View Post
    This is not good advice. The MOE handguards have considerable play to them, similar to standard plastic handguards. Your sights or optics will never hold zero if mounted to something that isn't rock solid.
    Not sure that you read the referenced post correctly. Optimus Prime did indicate that the handguards were unsuitable for sighting applications for the very same reasons that you cited.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    Not sure that you read the referenced post correctly. Optimus Prime did indicate that the handguards were unsuitable for sighting applications for the very same reasons that you cited.

AC

Right, but the person whom I quoted suggested otherwise, am I missing something here?

Downloads
    Uploads
    TheLlama was being facetious, I suspect.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I didn't catch that -- and I'm still not sure it is all that clear, but I think I'm tracking now.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I actually missed that... stupid helo dunker induced vertigo moment. Rear MBUS on the receiver are fine, but if you don't have a proper FF tube to mount the front MBUS to, you'll need a metal front sight.
    With an Omega or similar rail system, front MBUS could work, but not the combo of MOE handguards with MBUS front sight attached to that.

I run MBUS rear and DD Fixed Front on my go-to rifles right now, and that's a very solid combination - sorry for not reading the OP well enough.
    I guess I rejected the idea of front MBUS on MOE handguards too subconsciously to notice that's what was being asked.
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC