Downloads
    Uploads

Would you shoot this stuff?

Backstory: I bought a bunch of green tip a while ago, it supposedly came out of a belt and the guy stored it loose in the ammo can.

Apparently he didn't take very good care of it, because I had about three dozen rounds that looked questionable after doing a 100% check on every cartridge.

Thing is, these all drop right into a clean LMT chamber and will fall right out when the upper is turned upside-down.

The round on the far right has a crease about halfway down the case, it's pretty weird and I don't think I want to shoot it:

The ones with minor dents, are they still good for plinking or should I consider them junk?

Downloads
    Uploads
    To me, the damaged rounds look like reloads that once were damaged by a feeding problem. Or ammunition that was cycled into the chamber and ejected without being shot. If you don't know exactly where the rounds came from, I would be careful in what I put in my rifle. If they are reloads, which they very well could be, you should be careful in trusting where they come from if you do not personally know the source. As for the damaged rounds, I would not personally put them into my rifle.

Additionally, do any of them have primer strikes? Even a chambered round usually has a minor primer strike on it from the firing pin when the BCG seats in the chamber.
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM
    Email ||| Webpage ||| Facebook ||| Flickr ||| YouTube Channel ||| Twitter ||| Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    And from a Firearms Instructor standpoint...the dented rounds would go into our "Bad Bullet" can and not even be attempted to be fired. Ammo is cheap (relatively)...fixing a damaged rifle is not.
    Email ||| Webpage ||| Facebook ||| Flickr ||| YouTube Channel ||| Twitter ||| Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    If they chamber then you are fine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No dents on the primers but I did notice some of them had scratches from the feed lips of a metal mag, like they had been loaded and unloaded or something.

It almost looks as if a few handfuls of junk ammo got tossed into a batch of good ammo, the rest of the stuff is shiny and the cases are pristine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If the rest of the stuff looks good to you it should be fine. I would get rid of the bad though. But I am just one of many opinions.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by zero7one View Post
    If the rest of the stuff looks good to you it should be fine. I would get rid of the bad though. But I am just one of many opinions.
    I'm in agreement with Z7O. Chuck the damaged, keep the good.

I even sort through new factory ammo while loading mags. You just never know......

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm keeping them separate and starting a new stash of "absolute last resort" ammo.

Thanks for the input guys.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can see little reason to use or even hold onto heavily damaged ammunition. I don't mean minor dents, but when you look at that second round, what possible use could you have for it?

Downloads
    Uploads
    The rounds pictured are getting tossed, those are by far the worst ones that I found.

The other damaged rounds have tiny dings in the cases and they look fine to me, those are the ones I'm keeping.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well it's an agreement with all, dump the bad ammo before it becomes an issue. We put stuff like that in a can and our gun nutz guys take it apartment for other use.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've ran ammo that looks like that through weapons I don't own (just issued)... no negative results thus far, however, I would absolutely not use it in a personal gun, nor rely on it as carry stuff. Ammo is comparably cheap.
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC