Thread: ar15 to 22lr

Downloads
    Uploads

ar15 to 22lr

I have thinking about buying a convertion for my ar. I was wondering what ill affects whould I have to face with having a barrel of 1-7 twist??

Downloads
    Uploads
    You won't get great accuracy out of most .22 loads. Mine can hit a basketball at 50yd, but that's about it. Plenty good for what I use .22 training to do, but if you need something accurate, it's probably a better choice to spend more and get a complete upper vice a conversion kit so that you have a separate unit with a more suited barrel.
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another consideration with .22 conversion kits, is gas system blockage.

If you do decide to go with one of the .22 conversion kits verses a dedicated .22 upper receiver, keep in mind that gas system blockage can occur and it has been recommended at the end of a shooting session with .22, to remove the conversion kit, reinstall the standard bolt and carrier, and fire at least a 30 rd mag through the weapon to ensure the gas port remains free from lead build-up.

ETA: More on that subject here......http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...conversion+kit

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have thought about this a little and I don't really want to buy another 22 but ilike the idea of geting a upper for my ar that shoots 22lr. Can I buy and bulid this upper or do I buy a assembly ready to slap on my lower?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I personally found I shoot .22LR enough that it justified building a complete caliber marked rimfire AR. At a minimum I would pick up a dedicated upper from CMMG or Spike's. I know CMMG doesn't get much love but they've done wonderful things for the rimfire AR.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Either the CMMG or Spike's will do - my CMMG .22lr stuff runs great, but I wish I had waited instead of running only convo kits - I too burn enough .22 that I could justify the complete uppers instead of just the conversion kits.

With the BHO modifications, and good magazines these can be brilliant - last thing I'll add is that the Christies Products loading tools are a MUST. I have been suggesting them for years now, and I think CMMG is even including them in some of their bundles.
    The beauty of .22 ARs is that you can shoot tons, but after two bricks of the stuff, the paws are hurting. Loading tool is worth it's weight in gold.
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well guys you've talked me in to it as soon I get my money I am going to get the lr upper and shoot the piss out it heck I might even get a slide cov for my 1911 too thank you for the info you all been great

Downloads
    Uploads
    Heh, I did the same. The .22 slide hasn't gotten as much use as the rifle, but it has seen a lot. The .22 AR is great to take to the range and let other folks shoot too.
    S/F

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just as a side question any opion on that ar22?? I think that it whould something to consider for a lookalike tactical plinker