Downloads
    Uploads

Accu-Shot Atlas V8 bipod

Bear with me folks as this is my first product review. And to make it even better, I'll admit that my experience is kind of thin in the world of bipods. So here's an open invitation for you guys to correct/clarify any comments that aren't in keeping with your experiences.

Let me begin by saying that I was looking for a bipod that was robust in function, but also a simple looking, clean design. In other words anything that wasn't bulky with exposed springs. Now I have nothing against Harris and others when it comes to function. But since this is going to reside on my new SPR (which should be finished this week) I wanted something...well...slick. I know that sounds shallow...but hey...

In the end the choice was between Bobro and Atlas. I'm still wondering if I made the right decision. But I'll never know until I own the Bobro as well. We'll see about working that into the budget at some point.

So having researched as much as my ADD would allow, I took the plunge on the Atlas. I heard that the wait was going to be a while, and honestly that almost pushed me to the Bobro. But was able to find one at US Tactical Supply. I had to purchase a "no mount" model to get one without a backorder. So if you're interested in ordering one with the ARMS mount, I can't comment on that aspect. I don't own any ARMS products, but I'm sure it would be fine. I chose to order a LaRue LT-171 since my experience with LaRue has been good.

This is a very solid unit, and it has a pretty small "presence". It doesn't really look like much, until you start exploring the settings and functionality. It seems to load well, and the 15 degree cant and swivel is nice. The tension adjustment knob doesn't have a lot of travel, so transition from a "locked down" tension to a swivel and cant mode is pretty good.

As I've found to generally be the case with 6-9" bipods, loading the Atlas is a bit harder without some extension of the legs. In their shortest position the natural body weight behind the weapon doesn't seem to apply enough downward force. In the case of the Atlas, if you knew that you needed to be lower to the ground, its ability to position the legs at a 45 degree angle seems to provide a decent downward force on the legs. I did take the Atlas to the range for a light workout this weekend, but I didn't test this with rounds down range. I can only speak to my dry fire practice. I'll test this out next time I get to the range, but I'm pretty confident this will help. I want to see if there's any noticeable difference between the short and extended positioning. I'll also have to find someone to test it on a larger caliber (5.56 and 6.5 Grendel just won't do).

Just a bit of speculation on my part, but I imagine the 45 degree capability could be a benefit for high angle shots as well.

Perhaps it will change with repetition, but I find the legs a bit slow to deploy. Since the legs move forward and backward into a gated, gear-like mechanism, you have to make sure the retention is fully released. If not it can bind. If you've ever tried to pull a sidearm from a Serpa holster before your index finger fully releases the retention device, you know how it can hang. Same thing here. As well, the Atlas leg extension can bind if you pull it before retention release is complete. Not necessarily a big deal. I can't really imagine (at least for myself) the need to deploy bipod legs in a high stress situation. So I'll just have to learn to be a bit smoother.

That's it for now. As I give it more of a workout, I report on any more observations.

And now for the pics. I need to take some at the range as well.

LaRue LT 171 Mount

Atlas

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice detail pics.

How about a shot or two that shows the entire bipod in the extended and stowed positions?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good write up on the ATLAS. I have had one of these for the past 8 months and while I had the same initial hesitations that you had, I have found once I got used to it, it far exceeded my expectations.

First off as far as mounts go, If you order one direct from the manufacturer you can request alternate QD mount other than the standard ARMS 17 mount. After speaking with Kasey Beltz (owner of the company) he filled me in on the option for other mounts at the customer's request. I asked for and received a ADM QD factory installed on my ATLAS. The wait was also a concern to me but after speaking with Kasey and being mil, he expedited my order and I had mine in a little over a week.

When I first received the ATLAS deploying the legs from the stowed position was a bit "stiff" however with a light application of some CLP and after some use the deployment became much smother. Same thing with the leg extensions.

As far as loading the bi-pod, I have found that with the legs in a short position it is difficult to get the feet to bite on smooth surfaces such as wood, however in the grass, sand, gravel the feat really grip and the design allows the legs to flex back slightly towards the shooter creating a very stable shooting platform.

The swivel function is excellent as well for rapid lateral transitions from target to target, My only complaint about this however is that after repeated swivel it seems that I have to re-tighten the tension knob, this is much more prevalent on my MWS than when mounted on a 5.56 rifle.

Overall I prefer the ATLAS to the Harris especially on a 308 rifle.

Below is a pic of the ATLAS on my MWS at rest prior to being put to use, I know its a crappy photo but I have not claims or aspirations to be a great photographer

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Quib View Post
    Nice detail pics.

How about a shot or two that shows the entire bipod in the extended and stowed positions?
    I wasn't real happy with these shots. But I suppose they would be helpful.

Downloads
    Uploads
    15ICAM

Thanks for your comments - good info. Love the LMT.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodman24 View Post
    I wasn't real happy with these shots. But I suppose they would be helpful.
    Thank you Sir......looks good!