Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

light-weight AR build

Hey I'm looking for a little input from some of the old veterans around here. I'm building a light-weight on a budget and here is what I've got so far
    -Flat top receiver w/ M4 feed ramps
    -16" light-weight barrel w/ mid-length gas system
    -fixed front sight
    -Phantom flash suppressor
    -Magpul mid-length MOE hand-guards
    -Magpul mil-spec CTR stock
    -Magpul MOE pistol grip
    -Magpul BUIS
    -Teardrop forward assist
    -Magpul MOE Trigger Guard

Anything i didn't mention is gonna be plain old standard parts.
    I'm just looking for any suggestions, advice, or criticism from those who can help
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."
    - James Earl Jones

Downloads
    Uploads
    Fist of all, welcome!

-16" light-weight barrel w/ mid-length gas system
    What manufacturer?

It looks like a reasonable list, without a lot of unneeded junk. I like the LW plan and the mid-length gas system arguably has benefits compared to a standard carbine system. The Magpul CTR is something I use on a few carbines, to include my duty rig. The Magpul MOE trigger guard & grip are inexpensive upgrades that makes sense and MBUS works well. The Phantom line of FS works very well and are reasonably priced. Any plans for optics?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm using a DPMS lower and may go with a a del-ton upper or a rock river arms but its not certain yet. I plan on mounting an Eotech or Aimpoint in the future but a cheapo will have to suffice temporary untill the funds are available
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."
    - James Earl Jones

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd prefer an quality rear BUIS to a cheap optical sight.

I'd go with the MOE stock over the CTR, if you don't already have the CTR.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I'd go with the MOE stock over the CTR, if you don't already have the CTR.

Why do you say that?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Why do you say that?
    Probably because it's cheaper, and fits a mil-spec receiver extension so well that it doesn't even need a friction lock.

I'll be buying MOE stocks from now on unless I need a QD socket.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AR-10 View Post
    Probably because it's cheaper, and fits a mil-spec receiver extension so well that it doesn't even need a friction lock.

I'll be buying MOE stocks from now on unless I need a QD socket.
    OK. I'm curious because I am building a lightweight SBR and already have the carbine MOE handguard and grip, need to decide CTR vs MOE. I was wondering whether or not there was a functionality issue one vs the other. I'm using a Noveske end-plate so I don't need a QD socket on the stock. Cost is not a consideration.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    OK. I'm curious because I am building a lightweight SBR and already have the carbine MOE handguard and grip, need to decide CTR vs MOE. I was wondering whether or not there was a functionality issue one vs the other. I'm using a Noveske end-plate so I don't need a QD socket on the stock. Cost is not a consideration.
    If you don't need to QD socket then I'd go with the MOE, its solid on the extension. Aside from the friction lock and QD, there's no major difference

To the OP, I rebound what eric asked, what manufacturer for the barrel?
    -Mitch-

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just finished a very similar light weight mid-length build and ended up choosing the moe over the acs due to the .4lb difference in weight and have been very happy. Good luck with your build! that sounds like it will be a nice rile!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I also just finished a lightweight profile midlength AR and am very happy with its balance and handiness.

The upper/barrel assembly/M16 BCG are Daniel Defense with MOE hand guards. Lower is S&W M&P-15 with a Stag LPK and BCM receiver extensionH buffer/M4 stock.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The barrel and BCG are going to be what dictates performance of the rifle (accuracy, reliability along with other things), so spending enough to get a really quality unit would be worth it. MOE Furniture across the board is remarkably good for the price.
    For a 16", I'd just run the cheaper A2 compensator for the moment, make a decision on muzzle device later.

I'd even throw the Spike's LE into the mix for the complete upper.

Either way, a stripped lower, a DD/MOE LPK from PSA (or BCM Blemished Complete), and a Spikes/DD/BCM Midlength 16" LW Upper, and either MBUS rear a fixed rear sight will work great.
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    I find the friction lock of the CTR to be wholly unnecessary. I believe "stock wobble" to be right up there with "play between upper and lower" and "the froth sight obscures my view through the optic" in terms of things that people think matter when mucking about around the house and which go completely out the window once on the range doing anything other than static target shooting. The MOE, therefore, is lighter, and cheaper, and simpler, all of which are plusses in my book. Just to be clear, I own several CTRs and several MOEs, and the MOE is what I buy now that I've had hands-on with both. Frankly I have found little reason for any other stock at all, although I do retain the M4 stock on most guns that come with them as the stock is really the last thing anyone needs to be concerned with "upgrading" but for some ironic reason is often actually the first. I suppose it's the drive to tinker combined with the relative ease of the stock change. At any rate, get the MOE, the CTR is unnecessary.

Agree with Llama above, as well. BCG and barrel are the critical elements to longevity, reliability, and accuracy provided that one does not scrimp so bad on the other features as to create tolerance issues that prevent assembly or increase wear.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I posted pics of my wifes light weight build in the explain your ar layout thread if you wanted to take a look

Downloads
    Uploads
    The barrel is century arms and the BCG is DPMS. I am not opposed to the MOE stock verses the CTR but actually have a great deal on the CTR. So not figuring price i figured why not have the friction lock. Is there any weight difference Between the MOE and CTR?
    - James Earl Jones

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 11specialcf View Post
    The barrel is century arms and the BCG is DPMS.
    What are you paying for these parts? You are not off to a good start IMHO and there are likely better options available for a few dollars more.