Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 11specialcf View Post
    I'm using a DPMS lower and may go with a a del-ton upper or a rock river arms but its not certain yet.

Hmmm. I'd be inclined to agree with Rob_s and suggest you rethink your choices . Maybe a little more research.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Honestly I'm mostly using parts I have lying around. Its looking like its gonna be a bit of a Frankenstein rifle
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."
    - James Earl Jones

Downloads
    Uploads
    I appreciate all the comments. What would some suggestions be on the best parts for the money, while still maintaining good reliability and respectable accuracy keeping to my original design?
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."
    - James Earl Jones

Downloads
    Uploads
    What kind of shooting will you be doing, and what kind of ammo will you be shooting?

Buy a quality barrel and bolt, those are the only two items that I wouldn't scrimp on.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 11specialcf View Post
    Honestly I'm mostly using parts I have lying around. Its looking like its gonna be a bit of a Frankenstein rifle
    If you're just taking things out of the trash bin and bolting them together to see what you get, that's something different than what I gathered from your first post.

If I were looking to build a lightweight AR from scratch, I'd still start with a quality Barrel and BCG. This barrel from Daniel Defense gets my vote, as does this BCG from BCM. I'd put an M4 stock, A1 pistol grip, oval mid-length handguards, and irons instead of optics before I'd scrimp on the barrel and bolt.

If you need the FSB, gas tube, and barrel nut/delta ring then Daniel Defense has this one too. BCM also has this stripped barrel for $230.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with Rob on the DD barrels. I (and others I know) have had very solid results.

Just an FYI - with the 1/7 twist I've found that my DD prefers heavier weight bullets. For GP use the 55gr to 62gr are okay, but it really prefers the heavier stuff.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This rifle is mostly gonna be a plinker. I'm hoping to do this build in all Lewis Machine parts down the road but not yet. I made a mistake on the barrel earlier, it's actually a Wilson. What is the consensus on the Wilson LW barrel? Most of the ammo I'll be feeding it is gonna be 55gr Sierra reloads.
    - James Earl Jones

Downloads
    Uploads
    I also have to agree with Rob on the DD 16" LW midlength barrel. I recently got a complete DD URG with this barrel and it's turned out to be exactly what I needed. No doubt a BCM would do just as well.

As far as your Wilson barrel, I don't know if you'll get many comments on their LW but overall they're all right. The Wilson HBAR on my ArmaLite upper is unremarkable, nothing horrible to say and no raving either. The chamber is a little too loose but that's better than too tight.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's not a bad barrel, and if you're shooting mostly 55gr then it won't hold you back tons.
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    If you're just taking things out of the trash bin and bolting them together to see what you get, that's something different than what I gathered from your first post.

If I were looking to build a lightweight AR from scratch, I'd still start with a quality Barrel and BCG. This barrel from Daniel Defense gets my vote, as does this BCG from BCM. I'd put an M4 stock, A1 pistol grip, oval mid-length handguards, and irons instead of optics before I'd scrimp on the barrel and bolt.

If you need the FSB, gas tube, and barrel nut/delta ring then Daniel Defense has this one too. BCM also has this stripped barrel for $230.
    Don't forget, if you go with the DD barrel assembly, you will need to buy and install a .625" handguard cap, to run standard handguards. Not a big deal, but worth noting. I bought the same thing a couple months ago, and had a bit of trouble finding a .625" triangle cap.