Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be and now that I've done it I'm confident that I can do it again.

I just now finished cutting off the sling tabs and bayo lug, hopefully the new handguard isn't any skinnier than my old one:

There's maybe 0.100" between each side of the sight base, and I can still shave down some more without getting too thin so we'll see when I get the new handguard this week...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks good.

I'm pretty impressed. Just though I'd mention that just in case you don't like it for any reason, there are alternatives to cutting your sight post.
    I have a pinned 14.5" and saw this problem coming. My solution was this:
    Specter Gas Block
    ...which will obviously require cutting your gas block completely off. Just thought I mention it for you, and anyone else that's in a similar predicament.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's a nice looking part, and they made it long for guys like me who have barrels that aren't parkerized under the GB.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've done several FSB cuts for gas blocks and love it simply because it is pinned and should you have to remove it any time you're not worried about loctited set screws being hard to remove or them coming loose because of the dynamics of the barrel. Get some hi-temp black and paint it. All of the gas blocks I've cut down have had that paint and it works very well for the application.
    "Ever notice the sound of a gun being charged is the universal language of dominance?"

Why I own a Grendel: "You don't shoot 6.5 bullets. You toss them in the air, they go downrange on their own."

There are no such things as problems. There are only opportunities for solutions. And I've arrived at a solution for you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Honestly it wasn't that bad and I would have no problem doing it again.

I found that an 80 grit flapper wheel on the end of my Dremel worked great for shaping the sight base after chopping the top off.

I never thought about the whole pinned vs. set screw thing, but I am glad I left mine the way it is.

Something I noticed, LMT uses straight pins, they don't have a taper...I thought that was a little odd.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It looks good, and like you said, once you have done one, its easy to see doing more. Good job working through everything, and doing it all yourself.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Stickman, I originally planned to send it out but I figured why spend the money.

This thread wouldn't be complete without pics of the fnished project, so here it is, finally ready for some abuse:

I must say, I am much, much happier now that I have 10" of M1913 goodness.

Now that I have one build finished, I can start working on the middy and the .308 but not until I put a bunch of green tip through this little guy.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like a great rifle. Good work on the modification. As a side note, I'm interested to hear your experience with the Troy grip after your next class.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I will definitely let you know, thanks for all the help guys!

I spent many nights up late reading this forum, what amazes me is you can find solid info on pretty much ANY product related to the AR platform which is great.

I bought this upper and realized it had some features that I didn't care for, WEVO helped me turn it into something that I will now enjoy shooting!

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is a great thread. It answered questions I had in my mind. Thanks for posting it and your rifle looks great. I hope you enjoy it. Nothing better than working on something yourself and then enjoying the outcome!