Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Did I screw up my lower?

Last night I a assembled a lower and I suppose I had my mind on other things while I was doing it. To make a long story short I used the safety detent as the bolt release plunger. I don't know what I was thinking but it just fit right in. It's seems to work ok but it bothers me. Should I change it out? I dread doing that as the roll pin for the bolt release was a real PITA to get in and I'm sure it will be so to take out. Plus I'm afraid of damaging it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Each part needs to be used with the correct spring. If you don't have problems now, you probably will later. The pin can be a bit of a pain to remove without the correct punch. You want this one here, from Brownells. One side of the punch is shaved to allow enough clearance to prevent gouging the lower.

From Brownells.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have the punch described above. Works great for getting that roll pin back out. I'll second Eric's advice. If you're getting into AR's, it's good to have dedicated tools and this punch will do a great job of getting that pin out without effing up your lower.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Disassemble the lower, and reassemble it correctly.

As an option to ordering the specialty pin punch Eric lists above, check SEARS for an extra long pin punch.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks everyone. I guess I will try to take the pin out and put the correct Plunger in.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No, you didn't screw it up.

Just get the right tool to punch that pin out, and if you have OCD like me, you will be replacing that particular roll pin rather than re-use it.

In my opinion a roll pin is only meant for one installation, once it's been squeezed it loses it's holding strength.

Most guys will probably tell you to just re-use it, no way you'd catch me doing that when I can buy a new one for a dollar.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Of course it's totally up to the discretion of the user, but typically roll pins or spring pins can be reused after a visual inspection determines they are serviceable.

If a roll pin was driven in, then immediately driven back out, I personally would not have a problem re-using it, and have done so quite often in the past. So long as the pin visually appears serviceable, and if during re-installation it drove in snug...I'd re-use it.

Some guidance regarding roll pin/spring pin usage:

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's an interesting read and a little surprising to me, I am a mechanic and roll pins are one of the items that I was taught to replace every time they are removed.

They are usually inexpensive, but I'm sure Quib wouldn't give you any bad advice so if yours is still snug on installation then run it!

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's FAA guidance regarding Roll Pin/Spring Pin installation.

The way I look at it: If I can re-use a roll pin installed in something my butt is strapped in going 100kts at 75' AGL above the tree tops, I can re-use a roll pin in my AR-15's bolt catch.......LOL.

Of course, I wouldn't fault anyone for taking the side of caution, and replacing the roll pin if they felt the need for peace of mind.

ETA: Also, if the manufacturer’s maintenance instructions clearly state to replace the roll pin, then I would adhere to that verses the general installation guidance I posted. Manufacturer’s guidance when available, always trumps general install guidance.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow, that's even more surprising...I would think the FAA would recommend replacing roll pins EVERY time.

I was taught to replace anything that relies on spring tension to hold a component in place, such as roll pins, internal/external snap rings, piston wrist pin circlips, etc.

Also, I have quite a few spares so if I ever do need to punch one out of my AR there is a new one ready to go.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You have to realize, roll pins are not typically found in safety-of-flight components. And if they are used in a critical component, you may just find them safety wired for added security.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's a good point, and a bolt catch roll pin isn't doing much anyway so I guess I really do have OCD ha ha.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AR-10 View Post
    That's a good point, and a bolt catch roll pin isn't doing much anyway so I guess I really do have OCD ha ha.
    LOL......you're not alone. I'm infected too......LOL.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I might add......if one has a copy of the latest -23&P W/C #8, take a scroll through the manual and observe the procedures for removal and installation of the various roll/spring pins.

• Some R&R procedures give no guidance for replacement of the roll/spring pin.
    • Some R&R procedures call for inspection of the roll/spring pin for serviceability before re-use.
    • Some R&R procedures give specific guidance to discard the used roll/spring pins and replace with new.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I fixed it. I drove out the old pin and installed the correct plunger and pinned it back together with a new roll pin. Thank you everyone.