Downloads
    Uploads

which free float rail system??? pics and why?!?

I'M CURRENTLY TRYING TO DECIDE ON A FREE FLOAT RAIL SYSTEM FOR MY MID-LENGTH RIFLE.

I HAVE IT NARROWED DOWN TO LARUE AND/OR DANIEL DEFENSE.
    AND I PLAN ON KEEPING THE STANDARD FSB ON THE BARREL.

I UNDERSTAND ITS NOT ALL ABOUT L00KS... BUT, I DON'T HAVE THE FUNDS TO BUY EACH ONE AND TRY THEM OUT INDIVIDUALLY. SO I WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOME PICS OF YOUR RAILS INSTALLED AND THE REASON WHY YOU LIKE IT OVER SOME OF THE OTHER RAILS OUT THERE.

I HAVE HAD A DANIEL DEFENSE 9.5FSP ON ONE OF MY PREVIOUS CARBINES.
    I LOVED IT BUT DECIDED TO CHANGE THINGS UP A BIT.

THIS RIFLE WILL BE USED FOR SHOOTING PAPER TERRORISTS, VARMINTS AND YOUR GENERAL PLINKING.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
    "Fear knocked on the door. Faith answered. There was no one there."
    -Christopher Moltisanti. The Sopranos.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The choice is becoming a lot easier as the DD LITE rail dropped prices to match the M4 prices. There isn't a sturdier rail system which also features a continuous top rail in the market place today.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I dont have a pic to share of the DD, But I would strongly suggest the DD lite!
    Death Is Certain,
    Life Is Not

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just noticed the price drop...

When did this happen??? I've been missing out!

My decision just got harder.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hwang View Post
    The choice is becoming a lot easier as the DD LITE rail dropped prices to match the M4 prices. There isn't a sturdier rail system which also features a continuous top rail in the market place today.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If the price were the same I would have gone with the DD Lite Rail but there was a substantial price difference when I got my Larue rail. The truth is either rail will work fine and they are both solid, quality pieces. I know that probably won't help a whole lot in finding a solid answer but it's not you are comparing great gear to crap gear. You are comparing two pieces of gear that for all intents and purposes are both excellent.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MerQ View Post
    If the price were the same I would have gone with the DD Lite Rail but there was a substantial price difference when I got my Larue rail. The truth is either rail will work fine and they are both solid, quality pieces. I know that probably won't help a whole lot in finding a solid answer but it's not you are comparing great gear to crap gear. You are comparing two pieces of gear that for all intents and purposes are both excellent.

Very nicely said. There are a lot of really nice rail systems out there and it's personal preference at this point. IMO, you can't go wrong with these high end systems.

HIGH END
    1 Piece: DD M4, DD LITE, Larue, SWS, PRI
    2 Piece: Samson, Troy, DD Omega

VALUE
    1 Piece: VTAC
    2 Piece: MI

Downloads
    Uploads
    With the price drop, the DD lite is the way to go as it is the lightest and hooks up tight. (JMO)

TS

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by d.hodgee View Post

I HAVE HAD A DANIEL DEFENSE 9.5FSP ON ONE OF MY PREVIOUS CARBINES.
    I LOVED IT BUT DECIDED TO CHANGE THINGS UP A BIT.

Daniel Defense LITE Rails are built off the same basic platform as the rails they build for the US Special Operations Command under the SOPMOD RIS II program. The largest difference being that they are a one piece, instead of a two piece. Unless you have a need to mount a M203 to your weapon on a non-rail launcher, the LITE rail is probably the way to go.

There are a lot of decent rails on the market, however, the Daniel Defense LITE Rails install and lock in like no other. Unlike rails using only a barrel nut to lock the rail in place, the LITE rail uses a bolt up system similar to the lug nuts on your car in addition to a barrel nut. When was the last time you heard about a lug nut coming loose unless someone forgot to tighten it? Daniel Defense rails are welded, which may not be a big deal to some people, but it is to me.

Aside from KAC, which makes a high quality rail of their own, Daniel Defense is the only company I'm aware of who has not only one, but three different military rail contracts. These are items which have gone through extended military testing, as well as endured combat.

If you are looking for an extended rail for your midlength carbine, DD offers the 12.0 FSPM rail, as well as standard mid length rail lengths.

The rail market is heavily saturated right now, and there are plenty of valid offering, and there are more than enough to fill almost every budget requirement.

Here is my midlength with its DD 12.0 FSPM. Eventually I'll change it out to the DD LITE rail system, but I'll stay with the 12.0 FSPM rail style.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Stick:
    Thanks for the pic and valuable info on how the LITE locks!

I'm leaning towards a lite rail.
    Last edited by d.hodgee; 6 March 2008 at 09:43.

Downloads
    Uploads
    +1 on the DD Lite

If I had to do ALL my rail systems over, they would ALL be DD lites!
    Death Is Certain,
    Life Is Not