Downloads
    Uploads

NvrenufRR- HK45 review and range report

This is my review submittal regarding the HK 45.

HK45 review and range report.

Id like to begin with the features of this pistol that I find more appealing and operator friendly than the USP series.
    Grip frame size and comfort are what truly sets this above the USP's. The grip of the frame with it's interchangable backstrap and finger grooves, now being called unofficially; (Spidey Grip), is Excellent. much less chunky than the USP grip and hand position is better. The finger grooves are more prominent and comfortable, the texture is much better, not requiring the addition of sandpaper decals like many have added to the USP's.
    The frame is however, still quite large, not bulky or girthy, but long and will take a bit to get used to.
    The large size does allow felt recoil to be deflected and transferred very well and the weapon is a pleasure to shoot.

VS the USP series this pistol has all the improvements I found much needed.
    The addition of the Mil-Spec rail for standard pistol lights/Lasers was a greta upgrade, It fits M6/M6X's, Surefire X200 series and many others very well, no more need to get a rail adapter or HK specific light.
    The trigger is excellent, not quite the feel a Factory match trigger, but the best you will get from the box. The trigger is appropriate for both combat and range purposes. It is not a hair trigger in SA, it has an acceptable amount of take up before engaging the sear, but the take up is smooth and the engagement is clean and crisp. Overtravel was very minimal through the SA firing. The DA was your standard heavy pull, giving a shooter more than adequate time to react or the individual who cannot keep his finger out of the trigger guard enough warning on actually firing the weapon.
    HK has removed the two piece plunger/spring recoil assembly of the USP's and replaced it with the one piece with bushing similar to P2000 series.
    The barrel has an O ring, similar to the MK 23/Tactical, and Elite's, this makes lock up tight and foolw up quick.
    The hand is placed higher on the frame to lower bore/hand axis for more positive and accurate shot placement and easier foolow through.
    The magazines have been downgraded to 10rd capacities, but, to me, 10rds of .45 is more than needed on or off range.
    The finsh is the familiar HK "Hostile Enviornment" Black hard coat, mine was excellent, no complaints, no purple or red tint like some earlier HK pistols (P7's).
    The sights appear Novak style 3 dot. Mine were the Luminescent style that must be charged with a flashlight before glowing, but they glow BRIGHT with a blast from a Surefire E2D for about 1-2hrs with fading during that time. I am told they WILL be offered with the original Night Sight configuration.
    My Variant was Variant 1, side safety/decocker, not much changed here, I understand that LEM variants are scarecely available as the pistol itself. I read elsewher all the variants will be offered eventually.
    The ambidextrious slide relesase was located in the same place with no apparent change.
    The trigger guard has been downsized from the prominent flare outs on USP's.
    The magazine release is still ambidextrious, It has been enlarged to accomadate faster, more positive reoading.
    The frame has recesses on the mag well to allow for forced extaction of jammed magazines in FTE/FTF situation when a reload is necessary. No fuusing as needed to complete tack reloads during my COF.
    Many of the other workings were that of the USP and will be second nature to those familiar with HK USP's

Downloads
    Uploads
    As far as shooting...
    A++!! What a phenomenal firearm to shoot!
    The felt recoil vs a full size 1911 was dramatically different. It had the kick and snap if a nice .40S&W in my opinion. I have let others fire it side by side with other .45's and they agree that it is a much more comfortable gun to shoot and very suprised by how its looks were so deceiving.
    You would expect this to be close to a hand cannon, but you could comfortably shoot 250-500rds at the range or a COF with this and not be shaken.
    The HK 45 is a very accurate pistol. Two handed shooting at 21-25ft proved it to be a tack driver. I am only a tool for the machine, but this gun could outshoot my best attempts. Most shots were exactly as placed using the center to cover the bullseye.
    Follow up was quick and double taps remained in an acceptable consistency. "Riding the Sear" took a bit more travel than I am used to, but it was readily felt as soon as the connector was reset.
    Reloads were second nature and required no looking or fussing to guide in magazines properly.
    I had ran 230gr Winchester Range white box, 230gr +p Winchester SXT's, 230gr Fiocchi FMJFN, ARMSCOR 230gr NATO, and some crap Blazer through it with no failured or major noticeable accuracy deviations.

All in all, I think HK has produced a fine weapon AGAIN, this is one you may want to add to the collection for keeps, range time, CCW, or Duty weapon.
    I use mine for CCW in winter months, it is easily concealed in IWB holster under the shirt, but for most of us, it is a tad large to carry on a daily basis.
    Compared to a full size 1911, it is slightly (3/4-1in) shorter in leght slide side, but a little longer frame and magazine length.

The negatives...
    Once again HK has made us use propietary magazines for the HK 45, they do not interchange from any other series.
    For the time being, 10rd magazines are all that is available, but the manual stated that 15rd LE mags are an option. I am not sure if they will release a Jet funnel kit for this, or different style mags to upgrade.
    Parts are almost non-existant as of right now, mags are scarce and expensive, (Just like alll HK).
    Not like you ever need to replace the recoil spring, but you probably wont find a replacement item for some time to come.
    . 45 ammo is EXPENSIVE to Shoot!!!!!!!!!
    I don't care for the luminescent style sights, why change something that has worked fine since it's adoption?
    Holsters are available, but only from a a couple of manufacturers and will be some time before a line is devoloped.
    Magazine holster are not compatable from other HK magazine holsters unless you have a retention style system.

I give it a 8.7/10, but don't regret the purchase one bit and would do it again in a heart beat!

Downloads
    Uploads

HK 45

With regards to the HK 45, I understand there is the LEM trigger vs the standard double/single action. Were you able to shoot the LEM trigger? I am in the process of switching over to the HK45. I did not care for the grip on the USP 40/45. As you said the hard part is now finding some duty holster for HK45. Raven holster makes a decent off duty holster but I would like to see more.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tac40 View Post
    With regards to the HK 45, I understand there is the LEM trigger vs the standard double/single action. Were you able to shoot the LEM trigger? I am in the process of switching over to the HK45. I did not care for the grip on the USP 40/45. As you said the hard part is now finding some duty holster for HK45. Raven holster makes a decent off duty holster but I would like to see more.
    I recently had my hk45 switched to LEM. The main difference is a consistent trigger pull and a shorter reset. The shorter reset is quite nice. The new trigger did feel unusual to me at first, my hand seemed to remember the old trigger. I'm breaking the habit though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    First time I went to the range with my HK45C I blasted through 300 rounds, right out of the box, no problems. It was a joy to shoot. They build a mean handgun.

If I could make one product improvement, I'd have HK make one that was even slimmer and took regular 1911 mags.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to say, I desperately want one of these. I currently EDC a P-30. I converted it to LEM, and love it. I was shooting a Glock 34 in IDPA, but even with the longer trigger reset, I shoot the P-30 just as well, and mag changes are waaayyyy faster, and more instinctive. I do believe once my wife stops making me waste money on diapers, I'll have this beauty in my safe!!! Just kidding I loves my baby girl. Keep up the good reviews this site is great...