Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

New Build (add your 0.02 please)

Alright I'm starting a new build and would like some input.

Lower: Tac Innovations T15BDX (unless there is another "clean" billet lower
    Lower Parts: Any really (I do my own trigger jobs)
    Upper: Rainier Ultra Match Billet upper with gunfighter latch
    Barrel: 13.7 White Oak with perm KX3
    Rail: This is where I am stuck. I love the clean look, so do I go with a troy 13in rail or a Vtac 12in tube or the JP 15.5 tub or something Daniel Defense?
    Magpul BAD
    Voltor Emod Stock
    Optic: Aimpoint Comp m2 or Vortex Strikefire.
    Irons: Not sure
    Grip: Ergo rubber

Thats the basics. I look forward to your input guys!

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo_Santos View Post
    Is this a fun gun or for serious use?
    Both. I intern in LE and do quite a few classes. So mostly a training gun.
    Last edited by The-S; 10 May 2011 at 17:34.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The-S View Post
    Both. I intern in LEO and do quite a few classes. So mostly a training gun.
    Then I'd get the Troy TRX Standard or Extreme for the rails and I'd also get the MBUS Gen 2 Front and Rear. Get a quality lower parts kit. The price isn't too much of a difference between manufacturers, but quality is, so don't skimp on that. Also, train with what you plan on using. If you plan on using the BAD levers on all of your guns, then also put it on this one, if not, then I'd leave it off. I personally don't want to learn two different manual of arms, so I don't use the BAD levers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Then I'd get the Troy TRX Standard or Extreme for the rails and I'd also get the MBUS Gen 2 Front and Rear. Get a quality lower parts kit. The price isn't too much of a difference between manufacturers, but quality is, so don't skimp on that. Also, train with what you plan on using. If you plan on using the BAD levers on all of your guns, then also put it on this one, if not, then I'd leave it off. I personally don't want to learn two different manual of arms, so I don't use the BAD levers.
    Thanks, I usually use a rock river or DD lpk. I do have and use BAD levers on all my guns. How is the weight on the troys?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a T15BDX lower and a Rainier Ultra Match upper. Top-notch all the way. My LaRue rail was not coaxial with the bore on a Bushmaster upper, so I installed it on the Ultra Match and it was perfect. It would seem the manufacturing tolerances are quite good compared to some of the cheaper stuff out there. The billet lower seems a bit heavy. I will be using forged lowers from now on. The rest of your parts look good to me. Choices like these are highly subjective ... the good news is there are an amazing array of manufacturers making quality parts nowadays.

Downloads
    Uploads
    13.7 and a kx3 looks awful cool but I'd rather have a 14.5 and a better, less heavy muzzle device. If you are worried about others on line in a class I get the KX3. Me personally I'd take a PWS or Surefire MB556 (both of which I have) or a battle comp or Knights (which I don't)

Chris

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post
    I have a T15BDX lower and a Rainier Ultra Match upper. Top-notch all the way. My LaRue rail was not coaxial with the bore on a Bushmaster upper, so I installed it on the Ultra Match and it was perfect. It would seem the manufacturing tolerances are quite good compared to some of the cheaper stuff out there. The billet lower seems a bit heavy. I will be using forged lowers from now on. The rest of your parts look good to me. Choices like these are highly subjective ... the good news is there are an amazing array of manufacturers making quality parts nowadays.
    Have any pics? Thanks for the advice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CCK View Post
    13.7 and a kx3 looks awful cool but I'd rather have a 14.5 and a better, less heavy muzzle device. If you are worried about others on line in a class I get the KX3. Me personally I'd take a PWS or Surefire MB556 (both of which I have) or a battle comp or Knights (which I don't)

Chris
    I had thought about just that but am not happy with the ATF right now (took way to long) so my shorty got scrapped into this build.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just some thoughts I had on things I would (did) consider. And as stated above, custom builds are personal so YMMV

Both. I intern in LE and do quite a few classes. So mostly a training gun.
    With this in mind I'd let my needs on duty dictate this build, and my reasoning is this:

Shooting is fun and so are classes but LE work is very serious. So build the weapon to that standard even if it has the slightest potential to be used there. If you're never going to put it in the trunk of a patrol car then the needs become more like wants and your imagination will drive the design.

The KX3 is called the Flaming Pig for a reason. When employing it on a duty weapon could it make you a target? What advantage does it provide you? No right or wrong answer here, but something to think about.

The T15BDX is a beautiful lower but doesn't provide any functional improvements over a forged lower. I own one and like it because its pretty, thats it. In hindsight the additional money spent on it would have been better spent on something else.
    I haven't weighed it but believe its slightly heavier as welll. I mention weight because its important to me when toting the thing all day. Is weight a consideration for you? How important is it?

When selecting a stock I'd choose something that provides all the functions I need (storage, sling attachments, whatever) but also balances the weapon in a manner I prefer. A stock's features often overshadow how it changes the weapon's handling characteristics, which I believe is equally important.

As for a rail I'd think about what I'm going to put on it. Lots of gadgets that I need to have or can I get away with something light and simple because I don't need much? The Troy/VTAC Battlerails are very light and provide a lot of flexibility, as do the MOE's.

Food for thought
    -Mitch-

Downloads
    Uploads
    1) Identify perceived need
    2) Evaluate current inventory and how it addresses need
    3) Establish shortcomings in established inventory relative to perceived need
    4) Compile specs based on 1-3 above
    5) Employ final product in actual use (or reasonable facsimile thereof)
    6) Evaluate success of final product

Or, if it's a fun gun, bolt together whatever parts look cool, or blow your skirt up, or impresses the guys at work, or compile a bunch of parts you've been wanting to try to see how they work out.

FWIW, IMO an RDS and a stainless steel barrel don't really complement each other very well.

For more info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloom%27s_Taxonomy
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have any pics? Thanks for the advice!!!

I had thought about just that but am not happy with the ATF right now (took way to long) so my shorty got scrapped into this build.
    I meant permanently attached.
    Chris

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you considered buying a complete AR? Or a complete upper?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you considered buying a complete AR? Or a complete upper?
    I have considered a POF

Downloads
    Uploads
    (I do my own trigger jobs)
    This has no place whatsoever in an LE weapon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just de bur them and bend the spring slightly. This isn't a LE weapon don't forget.