Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Factory 16" Middy upper accuracy

My First post here.... this site is really GREAT, congrats you guys are doing a fantastic job.

OK to my Question:

I have built ARs from the ground up and I have the tools but in looking at the prices on uppers I dont see the point from a cost POV for a quality 16" 5.56 upper so Im looking at just buying one.

Assuming that reliability on the Bravo SS is comparable with the Hard Chrome Lined barrel which one of these are most accurate?
    How much difference is there. From what I can see there is about $200 difference between the most & least expensive listed

If the Noveske is the way to go then I dont mind the extra $200. I did find the writeup from Molon on another forum about accuracy of Noveske barrels. I also understand that I will have to reload to get good accuracy.

barrels A Noveske Light Recce Basic

A Daniel Defense

A Bravo Standard

A Bravo BFH

A Bravo SS410

A Spikes Tactical

If I should add someone let me know (I don't want a Colt or CMMG...personal thing)

Thanks for the help

Larry

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Noveske N4 barrels are known to be quite accurate, but if accuracy is the only thing you care about, the Noveske SS barrels can probably eek out a bit better groups if you are spending the time to hand load and try out different powders and bullets.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Larry, and welcome to WEvo.

Because you have different types of barrels listed in your post, perhaps you should evaluate/define what you consider to be 'good accuracy.' I think all of your options listed are capable of some interpretation of 'good accuracy,' but (for example) I would think the mechanical accuracy potential of Bravo company's SS410 barrel would likely be better than their Standard barrel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Before you get too far, ask how much you're willing to invest in ammunition (cost/time). Any good SS barrel, and many of the higher end CL-CHF units will outshoot all but the best factory match and accurate hand loads, so if you're only planning on running decent quality stuff through it, most any of those barrels will work great. The only point of this is that it's not going to be worth ponying up that extra $200 if you're only going to be shooting 3MOA accurate ammunition through it anyway.

The mid/recce/taper contoured 16" Middy should be capable of plenty of mechanical accuracy, a Bravo Company, Noveske, Centurion, Rainier, or WhiteOak should work exceedingly well in that role.
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    Before you get too far, ask how much you're willing to invest in ammunition (cost/time). --- The only point of this is that it's not going to be worth ponying up that extra $200 if you're only going to be shooting 3MOA accurate ammunition through it anyway.
    Very good point and one that many (including myself) seem to forget from time to time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why type of build is this going to be? Precision build or something else. My LMT Piston Upper, which has a chrome lined barrel shoots close to 1 MOA. If you want something that shoots consistently under 1 MOA, I'd get a SS barrel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Agree with everything else posted so far. You need to establish your need, weigh against the realities of your situation, and go from there.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Agree with everything else posted so far. You need to establish your need, weigh against the realities of your situation, and go from there.

Rob- Didn't you get some very good groups out of one of your BCM uppers?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Depends on your definition of "good". :D

With Black Hills 77 grain, shooting four, 5-round groups, I got an average of 1.4 MOA out of a 14.5" BCM RECCE 14 rifle. With 62 grain Brown Bear I got 3 MOA.

I am not a bench shooter, and typically damn near fall asleep at the trigger, so someone else might have done even better.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok guys,

thanks alot for all the replies.....

Since no one knows me Ill give a little background.

Im IDPA CDP/ESP/SSP master and I have classified IPSC production Master. I shoot some three gun and steel locally but its club level stuff and honestly I havent shot much in the last 7 yrs.....Son was born in addition to a butt load of family crap happening and running two businesses I just havent had the time but I went from shooting 12K+ rounds a year just in pistol to NOTTA.

Im an amature gunsmith, Ive built a few ARs and even done some stuff for the local Sherrifs SWAT teams ARs. thats a interesting subject too.

As far as this build,Its gonna be used for all around whatever. Matches and hopefully some Training Classes as I have never had a class on Tac Rifle.... In a SHTF situation My Wife or Mother may be holding this thing if its that bad... Ill most likely have a 6.8 in my hands...

now as far as accuracy, Im most worried about reliability, which I understand is more of a chamber issue barrel wise so that will limit the amount of accuracy I can achive, but with the listed uppers I dont think thats a problem! Iin all honesty I will most likey mount some glass to this thing so I know what "IT" is capable of in my hands, (with match quality ammo, most likely reloads) and then it will have a dot scope on it for most of its life.

this is a hang up I have, probably some form of OCDC but if its not accurate I wont shoot it. If I KNOW it will shoot past my abilities I have no problem with it. In reality this build has no NEED to be better than 3MOA at 100yd and I KNOW that....
    However if its capable of 1MOA out to 200 yds it will get USED If I can get 1.5 MOA out of it I will be OK....
    Barrel life really doesnt interest me as long as I can get 10K out of it Im happy anything more than that is gravy....
    10K in todays prices is what close to 9 or 10 barrels..... Im not a mag dump kinda guy other than to see if it will run. So I guess Running and gunning in a match or training class is about as much as it will be punished heat wise.

Im not set on anything and honestly if I can build it for around the same money Ill do that, but GOOD quality uppers seem to be relatively cheap now and I dont really see that I can do much better with the money I have to spend but I could space it out and spend a little more over time without a problem I guess.

Just looked at Centurian barrels and was thinking maybe I should just build around CHF chrome lined barrel from them...Last time I actually had to build one from the ground up I didnt have as many choices....It was a 6.8.

OK I think I covered everything and once again THANK YOU ALL
    Good Lord its nice to come to a place where everyones not posting " Just buy an X and youll be happy."

THIS IS GREAT. People with experience and a genuine interest in helping....

THANKS AGAIN for the help.

Larry

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Depends on your definition of "good". :D

With Black Hills 77 grain, shooting four, 5-round groups, I got an average of 1.4 MOA out of a 14.5" BCM RECCE 14 rifle. With 62 grain Brown Bear I got 3 MOA.

I am not a bench shooter, and typically damn near fall asleep at the trigger, so someone else might have done even better.

I must have been smoking dog food over here, I thought you shot a uber group with a BCM CHF barrel. 1.4 sounds like an honest barrel, especially for an off the shelf, non-special, not a mega ninja uber stealthy long name barrel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Larry,

Unless things have changed, the Noveske and Centurion Arms cold hammer forged barrels come from the same place. They are very good barrels for a combat rifle, in my opinion, but I agree with Stickman, that you'll find the Stainless Steel barrels offer a bit more accuracy. The profile of the Noveske SS barrels give them a bit more heft in my experience -- which is not necessarily a bad thing. Though I tend to always lean towards building my own uppers, I think a Noveske SS upper would fit your bill nicely. You may also want to take a look at Larue's offerings.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by triplebravo View Post
    Larry,

Unless things have changed, the Noveske and Centurion Arms cold hammer forged barrels come from the same place.

Centurion Arms barrels are using a taper, but aside from that they should be highly similar, and both should prove to be very accurate long lasting barrels.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What a barrel can, and can't, do in an AR in my experience has had far more to do with the ammo being fed to it and the person pulling the trigger than the barrel itself.

(within reason, of course)

I agree with the recommendation of Noveske barrels, but would stick with the medium contour due to weight considerations. Their full contour plus their proprietary rail system makes for a very heavy gun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You may have looked at the group sizes without noticing the range. All of the above were shot at 50 yards and I doubled the size in the post.

I also only have one CHF barrel in the safe and it's the Dissipator with irons, although one day I'll group it.