Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OK guys, So Noveske no surprise there...

The Centurion Barrels, I have read about them having a taper but I dont understand.... so there is a taper in the actual bore of the barrel? what are we accomplishing
    with the taper?

Anyone have a problem with the White Oak barrels for what I am talking about? I noticed they have a Wylde chamber, how does that affect reliability?

Now how much difference in accuracy are we talking about? Yea I know there are no hard and fast numbers but you guys sound like you have owned and/or been around
    a bunch more ARs than I have. So Im asking for a SWAG I guess 8^).

Larry

Downloads
    Uploads
    I hate to keep beating the same dead horse, but what type of ammo do you plan to shoot? Have you thought at all about how the type of ammo you wnt to shoot plays out when you factor in cost x number of rounds per year you plan to shoot? For example the 77 grain Black Hills that I've had the best results with is about $1/round. XM193 is about $0.30/round. Steel-case is <$0.25/round. If you shoot 5k rounds/year that makes a big difference. Or, if you annual ammo budget is $5k, that means shooting 3x as much ammo if you shoot the XM193.

If ammo money is no object then I'd bet that barrel money is too, and I'd just pop for the Noveske or a stainless BCM.

I do understand what you're asking, I think, which is "two otherwise identical barrels and a good shooter with good ammo, how much more accurate is the stainless over the chrome-lined?". Right? I don't know of any such test off the top of my head but I think a stainless barrel with hat same Black Hills could shoot <1" groups at 100 yards with the right shooter and ammo and optic. Even the best chrome-lined barrel is going to be 1.5-2" groups at 100.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    You may have looked at the group sizes without noticing the range. All of the above were shot at 50 yards and I doubled the size in the post.

I also only have one CHF barrel in the safe and it's the Dissipator with irons, although one day I'll group it.
    You clearly haven't got this errornet thing down. One is supposed to shoot 3 round groups at 25 yards, pick the best one, post photos and claim it is a 100 yard sub MOA group, which you can shoot all day long.

So, I'll embarrass myself now. I just returned back from the range where I shot a standard CL Armalite mid-length with an EOTech. After getting it a bit dirty and warmed up, I ran a 20 round mag through at 50 yards, shooting four 5 round groups about as quick as I could without getting booted off the public range. The groups ran from about 1" to 1 3/4", while shooting from a bench. Ammo was 55 gr HSM reloads.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Rob you hit the nail on the head......

Thats what Im looking for on the barrels.

As far as ammo Im most likely gonna shoot normal run of the mill brass cased cheap ammo or reloads with whatever happens to be cheapest bullet. But I will work with it to get an accurate load with a good bullet and then I will load 1-200 stick them away along with the info I have, Ill take the glass off and put a dot sight on and all will be right with the world according to me.....Im sure its an OCD thing...

If a Noveske Chrome lined or Centurion Chrome lined wont get me any better than 1.5 -2, I better go with a SS as long as its as reliable.... I KNOW from a practical POV it wont matter a bit, from a Larry POV its the difference between a gun that sits in the safe and one that gets shot. or maybe the difference between being satisfied and wanting to build another one thats what I wanted in the first place. I understand that I wont get that top level accuracy from my match loads or run of the mill store bought ammo, but on the other hand I know I CAN get that accuracy if I want it. But I also want to know Im not getting accuracy at the expense of reliability.

And I absolutely know that it takes a shooter to actually get those groups. Im not an equiptment hound, I try to buy the best I can afford and splurge a little on top of that but I also know I have to do my part. just humor me and assume I can shoot
    Again, Thanks for your time and help

Larry

Downloads
    Uploads
    TWENTYFIVE YARDS?

WOW thats long distance....

I thought you were supposed to put up two targets (one on top of another) and shoot at 5' take the bottom target (with no powder burns) and claim it was a 300yd tgt you shot with wolf ammo rapid fire from the hip with both eyes closed.
    and of course that was the worst group of the day.

Larry

Downloads
    Uploads
    My take on it, and I'm trying to understand where you're coming from, is a bit different...

You can buy the most accurate, stainless barrel, AR you can find if that's your obsession. But it's going to be heavy, it's going to be more prone to rust, and it may shoot out faster if used as a blasting gun. Personally, none of these things would be conducive to my actually shooting the thing. What it would mean to me is that it would sit in the safe while my lightweight, chrome-lined, 11.5" barrel, 6933 gets taken out every single time, and which I know for a fact I can drill 8" steel plates at 200 yards with an Aimpoint all day long.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    The WOA barrels are some of the best barrels for the money. They aren't true Match barrels like the Noveske, but they are very accurate and will last around 10k before the accuracy starts to drop. The taper on the centurion barrels is to help in accuracy. If you are undecided and you want good accuracy, I'd get the centurion.

With a good scope, ammo, trigger, and the guy pulling the trigger, the centurion barrel will be able to shoot MOA (10 rounds at 100 yards). As I wrote before, even my LMT Piston AR is capable of 1.25 MOA with match ammo (10 rounds at 100 yards). There are some people on the Internet that can actually shoot pretty well. LOL.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I shot these in December with a factory BCM 16" chrome line middy off a front bag and an Aimpoint M4. I "think" I couldve gotten a little bit tighter groups with a good scope but who knows. With PMC or XM193 I got about 3MOA.

I was out yesterday with a new build consisting of a Centurion Arms 16" LW Middy and Aimpoint M2 and I was getting closer to 2" with PMC ammo. I only put it together a few weeks ago so I havent put any match ammo but I expect closer to 1MOA with good optics.