Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi, I am new to this forum. Good thread and very good info from the OP. I have a fairly new Ruger SR556E. I've put about 1,000 rounds through it and so far really liking the rifle. One stovepipe in about 1000 rounds, never did figure out what was up with that. Typically on setting "2" it ejects 55 or greater grain ammo perfectly. The "E" model, as most of you likely know, has a more slender forward profile.

The difference between a citizen and a civilian is that the citizen makes the safety of the body politic his personal responsibility. The civilian does not.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Got to shoot one of these last Friday. An active mil guy I know bought one, and he wanted to shoot it while he was home in AZ. We threw a magnified optic and some matchkings through it and it was an inch gun at 100 yards.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My experience is that these suckers will shoot!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
    My experience is that these suckers will shoot!

Nice!
    The difference between a citizen and a civilian is that the citizen makes the safety of the body politic his personal responsibility. The civilian does not.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm kind of bogged down and have only put a few rounds through the gun since my last posting. Current round count is about 7,200.

I'm planning on attending an instructor development course next month that includes some rifle stuff. The Ruger will be my main shooter for the course. Hopefully that'll get me close to 8k fired.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good luck and enjoy the course. Let us know how the Ruger handles.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Alright. The course was good times. I made some new friends, learned a couple things and got to burn some powder.

Here's the Ruger now with right around 7,500 rounds fired. The gun currently has 2,500 rounds fired with no cleaning. I've oiled it up a few times but have done no maintenance otherwise.

Internal wear really seems to have leveled off and I don't notice anything that looks any different from where it was 2,500 rounds ago. All the finish is worn off the face of the trigger and much of the finish has been worn off the bolt stop. The dust cover detent is getting pretty loose from being hit by the bolt carrier. There's a pretty good amount of carbon under the gas block and some carbon accumulation that's bled out of the gas regulator. Even with the accumulated crud, the gun's running just fine on gas setting #2.

I didn't disassemble and photograph the gas piston parts. I'm actually waiting to remove those because I'm curious to see if the regulator, etc will freeze up with accumulated fouling.

Without further ado, here are the pictures.

An overall photo of the carbine.

The buffer and lip of the buffer tube.

Operating parts out of the upper.

Fouling near the muzzle and gas block.

Inside the upper and barrel extension.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here are a few more photos of the bolt and carrier as well as inside the upper.

I should note that the lower isn't showing any tilt wear to the buffer tube but it has not always been used on this upper. It is the factory Ruger lower but I've used this upper on a full-auto lower on a number of occasions so the round count is going to be off a bit.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Not too bad. I'd never buy a Ruger AR or a piston AR from any company... but that looks like it's running pretty good.
    F***in' A! Runs like a scalded cat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PocT...e_gdata_player

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk 2

Downloads
    Uploads
    I ran ~ 200 rounds through the ol' girl in a recent Haley Strategic course. Ultimately I ended up using a pair of DI rifles with Ballistic Advantage barrels since they'd run with Tula while the Ruger would not. I had plenty of brass cased ammo with me but decided to shoot up some of the cheap steel ammo and save my better ammo for a rainy day.

On the plus side, the Ruger continues to run with brass. Round count is about 8,200 rounds at this point. 3,200 without cleaning.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i wished i had gone piston on a few of my builds. gas are so dirty and im OCD about cleaning them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopis View Post
    i wished i had gone piston on a few of my builds. gas are so dirty and im OCD about cleaning them.
    Why? Did you look at the pictures? It's not like it looks pristine

I have a few long-term Adams Arms Kits. They don't run any cleaner in my opinion. The dirt is somewhat redirected elsewhere.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've considered trying a piston, but if I do it'll be an AK or PWS.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopis View Post
    I think a SCAR would suit you better.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    I think a SCAR would suit you better.
    Nothing wrong with the SCAR as long as you've got the cash to spend. The Ruger is a Grand cheaper. That leaves alot of scratch left over for ammo, optics or a good training class. Or even another AR...