Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No suppressed shooting?

I really enjoy your threads usbp379, you stay on top of your long term projects... unlike me. It's impressive your Ruger exhibits none of the carrier tilt I've seen in other Rugers. Those must have been earlier models.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks!

No suppressed shooting with this model since it has an integral flash hider that isn't compatible with my AAC can.

This rifle is an early model but I think it is one of their first with the redesigned bolt carrier. The first Ruger bolt carriers had a traditional GI profile and many of those early guns showed some pretty good scuffing in the buffer tube.

The later bolt carriers have a flared tail that helps support the back end where it meets the tube. Ruger also took the novel approach of removing some of the raised contact points that run along the sides of the carrier. They say this allows the carrier to "float" inside the upper and allows it to better align itself with the buffer tube.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I need to find out if my dads has the flared BCG. He doesn't have many rounds through his, though. Are the all integral flash hider?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nobodyspecial View Post
    I need to find out if my dads has the flared BCG. He doesn't have many rounds through his, though. Are the all integral flash hider?
    Only the SR-556C and CLA models have the intergral flash hiders but they're also the only models with the lighter fluted barrels.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am now at 8,500 rounds as of today's date and suffered my first parts failure. At about 8,400 rounds the dust cover detent failed. The nodule had been loose for a long time but the staking finally broke loose.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1459435412813.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  98.3 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    @usbp379: That is outstanding!
    Sturgill Simpson - You can have the Crown https://youtu.be/tNV16tz1NK0

Downloads
    Uploads
    I should have been done with this two years ago. Sorry it has taken me so long to get back around to this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
    At about 8,400 rounds the dust cover detent failed. The nodule had been loose for a long time but the staking finally broke loose.
    That's actually very interesting. I am "assuming" the dust cover was not closed after every round was fired. That means the round count for that particular part would not be 8,400; and probably significantly less. If you closed it after every magazine, and used 30 round magazines, it would only be 280 cycles. I would guess less than that. Do you have any WAG of how many times the dust cover was popped open by the BCG?
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am in the habit of swiping the safety on and closing the dust cover when the gun comes off target. Depending on what I'm doing I might run some short drills where I'm only shooting one or two rounds and then closing the cover. Or sometimes I might shoot half or ¾ of the mag before closing the cover.

The scallop in the Ruger's bolt carrier is slightly shallower on the bottom than that of a GI carrier so the dust cover detent had a small peened spot that was getting whacked as the carrier came back and popped the cover open. That might have been what jarred the detent loose.

But it could have been a defective cover to start with. There was a thread on arfcom several years ago where guys were reporting failures of this style with DI guns and it looked like whoever the main supplier is sent out a batch of covers with inadequate staking.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Edit: Really didn't see how old this comment was before replying. No need to even keep it around

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks usbp379 - that makes a lot more sense.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just hit 9,000 rounds as of this morning. Nothing different to report.

I did get the gas block hot enough to melt my VTAC sling though. Oops...

Downloads
    Uploads
    You don't need no stinkin' dust cover on that thing! The only reason you would need one is to keep all the crud from running out and getting filth on whatever it touches!

PS: Nice report! I'd say if your results are representative of what SR owners are seeing in general from their rifles, the gun performs as well, if not better than the so-called top tier guys. Hell, it probably costs SCAR owners pretty close to 5K all together to see that kind of reliability/round count, by the time you replace all the broken stuff and buy ammo.
    Last edited by Joelski; 14 June 2016 at 14:04.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hopefully I'll have this project finished up within the next couple of weeks. I'm anxious to see how hard it'll be to get the gas system apart.

Plans are currently to strip and photograph the rifle in dirty condition. This will be followed by a thorough cleaning and some additional photos.

After parts are cleaned and oiled I'll install a new dust cover. I'll also change the firing pin, extractor and spring and probably put in a new buffer spring. Then I'll keep on a'shooting!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for continuing to journal the progress. It's a real testament to the SR556 platform.