Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boogieman Guest

My New AR (Feedback Welcome)

Here is a pic of the AR that I just got together with a lot of help from a good friend. Thanks to Rainier Arms as well with their great parts pricing that helped to make it possible.

Specs:

Olympic Arms lower
    Daniel Defense Combat Carbine AR15 Lite Rail FSP 12.0 upper
    MI SPLP BUIS rear sight
    MI folding front sight
    EOTech 512
    Magpul CTR Stock
    Magpul MIAD Grip
    Bobro Standard Vertical Grip
    Daniel Defense Front (QD) and Rear Sling Mounts
    Viking Tactics 2 point sling
    Daniel Defense Off-Set light mount with Surefire 6P light (extended to 9V system)
    And of course, Magpul PMags.

I think that is about it.

I'm syched to hit the range with this for three days this upcoming weekend.

Sorry if the pic isn't the greatest, I just set something up quick so I could post a pic up on here.

Feedback welcome!

Downloads
    Uploads
    A massive amount of building a weapon, or laying one out is based off your intended use. In this case, I think you are going to be the best judge of what works best for you. From IM/PM we have had previously, you prior service time tells me that you know your way around the M16 platform.

From a personal likes and dislikes point of view, there will always be people that dislike Olympic Arms, and thats fine as they aren't going to carry your weapon for you. It looks like you went with a shell, and built around it. I would guess you did that for a reason. If mags fit, and the fire control group functions, that is what matters. A lower is simply a shell for those things.

Slings are another personal matter, and I lean strongly towards the Gear Sector GS-2P, but that is based on my own needs. Another well built adjustable sling is the VCAS by BFG. The material in the sling you like, is something I don't care for at all. The adjustment tail is something else I don't care for. Before anyone asks that question or tells me to try it before I complain, I own one and have tried it. However, I understand that this is a personal call based on what the individual likes, and as long as that sling continues to work for you, thats what matters.

Based on your posted picture, I would take that optic and move it forward so the cross bar engages the last cutout on your upper receiver. The more forward mounted it is, the easier it tends to be to keep away from tunnel vision and keep your peripheral vision. Again, this is what works for me.

I like the extended rail which covers and protects the gas block. SOCOM has gone with a similar concept. SOCOM also seems to like the idea of more rail space, while I personally like the increased iron sight radius as well.

Of note on the sights, I was recently told that Crane had checked and found that there were no confirmed kills from the MIL using BUIS. I found that highly interesting, and it goes to show (If I got all the info) that optics honestly are ruling the battle field (stateside and overseas) just like many of us had suspected.

My thoughts on PMAGs are outlined in the two PMAG articles I've written here. To be blunt, I feel the days of the aluminum magazine are drawing to a close.

I run a MIAD grip and CTR on my current duty pig, and they work well for me. Make sure you check out all the sizes for the front and backstrap and make sure that you have what fits YOUR hand the best.

PS- Most importantly, I like your picture and the way you cropped it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks good, any problems with the lower?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess we'll find out this weekend how it runs. A three day Patrol Rifle class with a high round count should reveal any deficiencies in the system. I prefer a fixed front sight instead of a flip-up, but that's a personal preference. Oly Arms lowers are hit and miss on quality/being in spec.

Boogieman Guest
    Stick - Thank for the feedback, which as usual, is very thorough and helpful. I have never had the chance to run a EOTech during an operation and have always used iron sights...so your point on tunnel vision is a great point and well taken. I had some problems with the setup of the sling at first when I initially tried it on, but found that it fit well after I adjusted it a few times and got use to the setup. Ultimately I will see how it runs this weekend and give some feedback after a lot of lead down range.

Shihan - I haven't put any rounds down range yet with this setup and have never shot with an OlyArms lower, but again, I will provide feedback by next week.

Eric - I'm sure, as always, that our training will be nothing but adequate and thorough. I'm sure that we will have a blast with the exception of brass cleanup.

bikethief Guest
    Since Mr. Eric and Mr. Stick already covered the functional/practical side of the discussion, I will contribute on the aesthetic side. I'd get a Tango Down VFG to replace the BOBRO only because it kinda matches your CTR, MIAD, and PMAG. Then I'd get a new school flashider to go with your new school furniture.

Again, my comments are purely on the aesthetic side. Looks like a solid build already bro!

Boogieman Guest
    bikethief - Thanks for your recommendations. Though I can appreciate your point on aesthetics, i'm more of a functionability kind of guy. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to carry around a piece of equipment that looks bad, but I would rather have a piece of equipment that is efficient and reliable. I'm going to stick with what I have until I either find that a certain aspect of the rifle does not work for my intended purpose, or when I find something that can do the job better for me. I didn't get the rifle to win a "best looking gun show", but rather to protect myself, the officer's that I work with, and the citizens that I swore to protect.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice.
    A question. The entire upper, including the barrel, is by DD?
    Have fun this weekend.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What lower parts kit did you use in that Olympic lower? I'm interested in the range report too! Looks like a nice gun - I hope it shoots well for you.

Austin

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice lookinf weapon!!

Like Stick said, it matters if it works and thats it!
    Good luck and start buying LOTS of ammo!!
    Happy Shooting!
    Death Is Certain,
    Life Is Not

Boogieman Guest
    12131 - Yes, the entire upper is DD, with the exception of the charging handle...we replaced it and I'm not entirely sure who made it.

aus71383 - Like I said before, my friend helped me put this together, and I am not entirely sure what lower parts kit he used. I have no doubt in my mind that the quality of the parts used were nothing but top grade.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I personally prefer the USGI aluminum mags with Magpul enhanced followers. It's not I dislike the Pmags but I've had many Magpul Pmags stick on many different brands of lowers we carry. I don't know if this is just a latest trend thing or not but the torrence on wall thickness varies from mag to mag more than any other mag I've seen. Take a caliper through your mags and measure the OD of your mag and see if you get similar results.

Boogieman Guest
    John - That is an interesting find about the PMAGs. I have had a lot of problems with the USGI mags in my previous career and I wanted to give something else a chance. I'll let you know after this weekend how they worked out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you aren't pulling/ ripping that magazine out of the magwell, you are training wrong, but I understand Johns point.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Take a caliper through your mags and measure the OD of your mag and see if you get similar results.
    I took measurements on 10 new mags (Dark Earth Windowed PMags), measuring at two points near the top of the mag body (near the front and near the rear).
    .884/.892
    .883/.893
    .880/.895
    .884/.892
    .887/.892
    .885/.891
    .878/.892
    .879/.891
    .897/.892
    .885/.892
    While I haven't measured USGI mags, this batch of PMags seems fairly consistent.