Downloads
    Uploads

New here, Spike's Tactical question

This seems to be one of the most lucid and no-nensense gun forums I have seen, so I thought I would join and ask about an AR opportunity I have. I have a chance to pick up a complete Spikes midlength rifle from a local GS. I really like to support the local guy, so I typically try to work with him and what he can get. Right now, that is Spikes. I have checked out the rifle, and it mates to the lower well. Staking is very good, and the M4 feed ramps look nice. BCG isn't as smooth as a Daniel Defense unit, but it is properly staked and an auto bolt. The castle nut on the buffer is also staked. The lower has a painted red spider logo on it.

Now, onto my questions:

1. The specs from Spikes say this is a good to go, out the door, mil-spec level firearm. The internet (other forums) seem to believe that Spikes is faking it with the specs. Are they or are they not a mil-spec product?

2. Would a trade of a BM XM 15 with very low but 100% function be a good trade for a Spikes? The BM is accurate with 50-55 grain ammo which is the bulk of what is available in the area. The intention here is to go more milspec, but with a midlength gas system. The concern is the 1:7 twist barrel on the Spikes vs. the 1:9 on the BM. The BM makes a decent varmint, shtf, and plinker with that barrel twist, how does the 1:7 from Spike's do?

If you own a Spikes, I would love to hear how you like your gun, and what kind of accuracy expectations I should have with a magnified optic. How has your experience with Spikes been?

Downloads
    Uploads
    My experience with Spike's Tactical has always been fantastic. I use their products regularly and have never had any problems. They seem to have very good customer service. Recently, their CEO released copies of all their independant testing results on ARFCOM in the hopes of quelling the "Spike's Tactical isn't quality" mantra.

Trading a Bushmaster for a Spike's would be a trade up. The midlength gas system is better than carbine. A 1 in 7 twist is always better than a 1 in 9 with a 16 inch or less barrel. The proceeding statements are all my opinion, but I don't think I'll be alone.

My advice would be to buy the Spike's Tactical with confidence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Spike's would definitely be a step in the right direction. To follow up on B3's reply, the 1-7 barrel will allow you to shoot heavier rounds due to the increased stabilization, but going any lighter than 50-55 could well be asking for trouble (not for the firearm, but rather the projectile). Also the middy gas system will be easier both on you and the firearm. The Spike's will also come with a T-2 Buffer, which will dampen recoil even more.

Basically you would be getting more accuracy out of more powerful loads, and feeling it less. Even if there was nothing else, I would still consider going from a 1-7 to a 1-9 to be an upgrade.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Aragorn, would it be correct to infer from "step in the right direction" that I might be selling myself a little short of spec with a Spikes in your view? If so, in what way? Are some of the specs for Spikes less than legitimate, or is it just that there are few changes/additions that need to be made to get a true quality rifle?

Downloads
    Uploads
    +1 for Spikes here also. Ive never had a problem with my AR and its always GTG. I took it to a 3 gun course and some training and its never let me down. I'd buy from them again n a heartbeat!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Let me preface this by saying welcome aboard.

I don't own a Spikes rifle, so take this for what its worth, opinion from someone without first hand knowledge of the product.

With that, recent evidence and experienced users on this forum report good findings regarding Spikes quality. Rob Sloyer just printed an article in the January issue of Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement that covers Spikes specs, its worth picking up a copy and will most likely answer your first question. The threads on other forums are wrought with emotion making it difficult to find accurate information and data within them to make an educated decision. If you haven't already, check out the reviews of the LE model and Piston upper contained in this forum. Stick and Quib are trusted sources.

As far as your second question is concerned, all the info I've seen suggests that Spikes is tough to beat. You should buy with confidence and without remorse.
    -Mitch-

Downloads
    Uploads
    Spikes makes great ARs, but then again, so are the bushmaster's especially when everything is staked properly. My LMT loves the 55 GR ammo and it has the 1:7" twist and so dk my co-workers Colts. I would personally see what the loss in price would be and take it from there. You already know what your BM can do and like I said, they aren't bad guns once you ensure that everything is staked properly. Even the fact that the BM has a carbine length gas system isn't a big deal because you can fix it with the Superior shooting buffer spring or heavier buffers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have thought about simply customizing the Bushmaster, as it does already have real M4 feedramps, which I understand is very rare for the BM. I have never taken the upper down to see if the barrel is over-torqued or even to check if the gas port is correct diameter. It isn't a bad gun, but it has an AR BCG with blue insert on the extractor and is not staked. It is a good shooter though. I have been torn on whether or not to trade it in for more mil-sec gun or to gut it and make improvements with new BCG, rail system and other mods.

What would you do to the BM to bring it up to higher standards? Trading it for a Spikes just seemed to get me into a good position without taking much of a price hit. That said, the whole debate over whether or not Spikes products are as represented does give me pause.

Decisions, decisions!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Spikes is a great gun, period. Don't let all that cert crap get to you. To get the BM up to spec, get the Bolt carrier staked properly and a better extractor, or just get a BCM or LMT Bolt Carrier and bolt and keep the BM as a spare. Also stake the castle nut if it isn't already staked. Everything else is good to go on the BM. Most of the recent BM have the M4 (BM calls the M2) feedramps.

Note: if you don't have a stake tool, Eric has a thread about free staking.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by VTac View Post
    Aragorn, would it be correct to infer from "step in the right direction" that I might be selling myself a little short of spec with a Spikes in your view? If so, in what way? Are some of the specs for Spikes less than legitimate, or is it just that there are few changes/additions that need to be made to get a true quality rifle?
    Selling yourself short? No. I shoot a Spike's carbine length upper fairly frequently, and it makes one hell of a rifle. The only thing I would change would be to make the barrel a lighter profile. Obviously that is PURELY preferential. The Spike's is completely legit, and I wouldn't hesitate a second to stake my life on it's performance.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    One more vote here for Spike's. I have a 16" LE with a carbine length gas system, boron coated BCG, spike's muzzle brake and a spike's BAR hand guard. Quality fit and finish and all the rounds generally go where I want them. Now if I could just get some more practice time the zombies wouldn't have a chance.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Uglyduck View Post
    The threads on other forums are wrought with emotion making it difficult to find accurate information and data within them to make an educated decision.

Agreed, and much of what was posted against Spikes Tactical was done with an agenda in my opinion. Not only that, but its my belief that a lawsuit involving libel/ slander would have been successful in court. Things went beyond being out of hand, and went straight to being ridiculous.

Spikes Tactical started out years ago with a more budget oriented selection of components. That changed, and Spikes Tactical stepped up into solid components and complete weapons. In the minds of some people, they were still just a little company who needed to be put in their place.

Spikes Tactical shut up most of the complainers by posting a much more detailed list of documents than I have ever seen from a manufacturer. They went way beyond what they needed to do to clear up the BS.

Its my belief that Spikes Tactical makes a better weapon than Bushmaster. They use better barrels, offer midlength options, stake everything correctly, use M4 feedramps as needed, come with the correct receiver extensions and have solid customer service.

While that doesn't make them perfect, its does put them at producing a good product.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Stick. What was the agenda is it sales based? I don't own a Spikes but I've heard a lot of neg about them. Thanks.