Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Since the internals are a bit more complex than a clamp or cam, it was determined early
    on that real world dust, dirt, sand exposure was in order. To that end, I spent a weekend
    abusing the Bobro Aimpoint CompM4 mount at my favorite 120 acre getaway. Testing
    included everyday as well as worst case scenario exposure to mother nature. Although my
    primary focus was the operational capabilities of the throw lever when inundated with
    sand, I also spent considerable time running drills to determine if the lever would become
    a snag point when geared up.

Image 1: My loadout

• TAG Multicam Plate Carrier
    • 2 x EMDOM Multicam 6o4 Pistol Pouches
    • 4 x EMDOM Multicam double M4 Pouches
    • 1 x TAG Multicam Strobe Pouch
    • GEAR SECTOR GS-2P Dark Earth sling
    • DD-15 Carbine equipped with Aimpoint CompM4 in Bobro BLAC mount

Image 2: Lever side of the mount after sand compaction.

Image 3: Underside after sand compaction.

• All internals and all moving components have been thoroughly packed with sand.
      Obviously this is the worst case scenario and not likely to occur naturally. However, I
      felt it necessary to perform this test to determine if complete compaction would be the
      failure point. It wasn't.

Image 4: Mount re-installed after sand compaction.

• There was so much sand on the bottom side of the mount that it wouldn't even consider
      engaging the rail. However, a single, brisk smack on the palm of my hand cleared the rail
      channel enabling the mount to seat on the upper. Even with the internals completely
      packed with sand, the mount clamped shut effortlessly.

Image 5: Snag Testing

• Yours truly.

I apologize for the lack of action photos or video footage, but I was on my own with
      nothing more than a tripod, camera and internal timer. Not exactly ideal for catching
      motion. That said, I ran numerous drills, even configured the mount with the lever
      inboard and facing forward as an intentional snag point. Short of stuffing the sling
      under the lever on purpose, I couldn't get the mount to hang up on any of my gear.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I spoke with Jason this weekend on the phone and could hear the excitement in his voice about this mounting system. I look forward to snatching one up for the T-1 I should have shortly, and will post my results. Maybe one low enough to co-witness on my AK W/Ultimak.

My EoTech is hoping to hop off the LT base its on also..

CXS
    Last edited by Custom-X_Sponjah; 10 August 2008 at 14:18.

Downloads
    Uploads
    We are making super low mounts for shotguns, AK's etc. We also just got some user input for the MP5 family too.

Andrew Bobro-

Downloads
    Uploads
    Bobro 30mm Cantilever mount

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is the slickest set of rings I have ever seen.

Image 1: Disassembled ring and base. Note how the top ring half utilizes fixed studs similar to a connecting rod in an engine.

Image 2: Top ring inserted in lower ring.

Image 3: Insert and tighten 12pt retaining nuts.

Image 4: Underside of assembled rings.

Image 5: Top side of assembled rings. Note how clean the top ring half is. No recesses to trap water, dirt etc. Just clean lines

Image 6: Optic installed and mounted on weapon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I found an excellent and quite unexpected use for the low profile mount.

Here's a second image

Downloads
    Uploads
    We are getting flooded with T1-Micro requests, so I am working weekends to get the interface going.

I have quite a few design options, and as soon as one wins out, I will get a machine going in the prototype room (S-93).

I stated in an e-mail request that my timeline was 4-5 weeks, now I have to put my money where my mouth is...............

Andrew Bobro-

voodoochild Guest
    ACOG Mounts Please!!

IroquoisSnakePlissken Guest
    A double-stack light mount. But wait, there's more:

A universal mounting system where the operator can mount a SF G2 in the bottom of the stack, swap it out for a light with a different diameter, while having a laser mounted on the top of the stack. The ability to accomodate different diameter lights/lasers would probably be a big step forward in this department, as it could truly be a do-it-all mount, and operators would be able to work with different configurations painlessly, without having to access different mounts. As well, a design like this could provide a contingency in the event the mounted light fails, and a backup of a different diameter was available.

Even beyond JV-league, the pros have to procure certain items out-of-pocket, thusly negating any type of "standard". If one dude in a group has weaponlight X, while another has weaponlight Y, it's irrelevant since a mount built to the above idea could handle any of the tactical lights on the market.

The more I think about what I've just suggested, the more I'm seeing what a monumental pain in the ass that would be from a design standpoint, but Andrew asked for ideas...

Hell, this might be a sucky idea, but I'm throwin' my two cents in. It would literally kick the shit out of the competition's double-stack mounts if it could be pulled off.
    Last edited by IroquoisSnakePlissken; 15 September 2008 at 17:02.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had to read it a few times, but I see where you are going here.

If anything, this idea really shows that we need to keep the modularity of the system as a design priority.

Great input.

Andrew Bobro-

Downloads
    Uploads

The hard work is done. This was the first BLAC prototype.

It was made about 2 or 3 years ago, I was in the shop late when I thought of it, so I didn't fire up the CNC's and just started cutting and sanding and drilling holes into scrap aluminum and brass.

I ended up putting it in the prototype pile, and waiting fot it's number to come up (we build a lot of different things here).

Anyway, what I am trying to show here, is that you don't need fancy machines and big bucks to make your ideas come to life.
    Last edited by BOBRO; 16 September 2008 at 13:09.

Downloads
    Uploads

voodoochild Guest
    ACOG Mounts...

IroquoisSnakePlissken Guest
    Just ordered the 180 Friday morning...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by IroquoisSnakePlissken View Post
    Just ordered the 180 Friday morning...

Let me know when you get it, and what you think.