Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by triplebravo View Post
    Aragon, here is a quick list of points just off the top of my head:

- The Rainier Arms version of the Evolution rail comes with exactly the add on rail sections I need -- A QD socket, a 2 inch rail, and a 4 inch rail. (The Troy comes with two 2 inch rails, and one 4 inch rail. I have a QD socket on the Troy, but it’s a $20 part made by Noveske.)
    - The EVO has an anti rotation tab on both sides of the upper receiver. (The Troy only has it on one side because its designed installation does not make it possible to have one on both sides.)
    - The EVO rail works with a standard barrel nut. (The Troy does come with a wrench for its proprietary barrel nut -- which is a huge plus over some other rails with proprietary nut designs.)

Some of these reasons are particular to me and you might find they are not as important to you. I still like the Troy TRX Extreme rail series and I’ve used them on several builds in the past. I’ll probably still use them. However, I think I like this EVO rail just a little more.
    Thanks B3. My plans for my next build have changed but I'm still up in the air on rails. Originally I was going to build a 14.5", but have since decided to enter the world of NFA and make a 300 BLK SBR for HD. The 14.5" just didn't make as much sense sitting right beside my 16" GP rifle.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by uspopo View Post
    Triple Bravo, on the LWRCI forums there has been a handful of M6A2 uppers retrofitted with the Samson EVO and a couple with the Rainier/Samson EVO variant with no piston clearance issues so this rail is good to go on the LWRC with no mods but a straight drop in fit. I will post a few pics when I get a chance as it should be arriving today.

Stan
    Sounds like you did your research first. I just wanted to make sure you were thinking about it, since I didn't have the answer myself. Post up some pics when you get it done, and let us know your impressions of the EVO rail.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been rail shopping for a couple weeks and I'm very happy I found this review.

Triple Bravo, do you think I'd be able to get away with chopping the FSB on my 16" without having to remove it for the rail install?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Chopping/contouring the front sight assembly is indeed a good option. Just remember that once you alter it, you're stuck with it. A new assembly will not drop into place, since they are drilled specific to the barrel they are installed on.

When I picked up my Evolution rail, my first plan was to take that route. However, a new barrel that I had been looking at became available from back-order and I ended up with a gas block.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Eric!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I finally had a chance to install the rail on my LWRCi M6A2 upper (KAC lower) this morning and snap a couple of quick and dirty pics. As expected the installation was a straight drop-in fit over the existing piston system with no clearance issues. Initial impressions..Love the smaller diameter tube which allowed my medium sized hands to handle and manipulate the rifle with ease. Fit, finish and quality of the Rainier/Samson tube was excellent as usual and while I didn't have a weight scale handy to compare the weight to the OEM rail, the EVO felt lighter but maybe because all that skeletonized aluminum was spread across 12.xx" of space as opposed to the 9" of picatinny aluminum rails on the OEM unit. I am very happy with this setup and can't wait to put some rounds downrange with this new setup. Hope to get my Laser Devices DBAL-i2 soon and mount it on the rifle and do some night shooting with my PVS-14....

Stan

"In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where we can see them."

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have one of these installed on my LWRCI PSD (8.5" bbl) and just put the Ranier Arms 12.37" model on an LWRC M6A2 with the 14.7" bbl and Permanently Attached FH. Samson did a great hob of designing this produce because you can install it without having to cut off your barrel nut and because they cut a relief for piston guns.

I just wish there was a way I can use one of these for models that had "A" framed FSBs. Installation and removal is relatively painless (NOTE: I found that using a rubber mallet helps a lot).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Put 300rds thru my LWRC last weekend with no loosening or zeroing issues of the EVO rail, just a little carbon on my support hand from the front gas block venting (no heat or burns on my hand). I am very happy with this setup..

Stan

Downloads
    Uploads
    I installed the (Samson) factory standard on my LWRCI PSD upper and the Rainier Arms version on my 14.7" LWRCI M6A2 upper (w/PA FH) and have run thousands of rounds through each one. My experiences have been the same as above.

I wish Samson would make a top removable version so that I can retrofit my 12.7" LWRC M6A3 upper with this to make it more manageable.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another weekend with Rainier/Samson LWRC...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Any more impressions on the EVO rail since you guys have had it for a while? Im actually considering switching to this one since its a smaller diameter..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by neo9710 View Post
    Any more impressions on the EVO rail since you guys have had it for a while? Im actually considering switching to this one since its a smaller diameter..
    I still really like it. This build (shown in all the photos) is still my favorite to shoot. The RUC from Rainier Arms is a similar configuration and seems like the perfect set up to me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The rail was simple to install and I have no complaints. I appreciate that the rail sections and QD are included.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by neo9710 View Post
    I recently installed two fo the 12" handguards; one on a new upper assembly, and one that replaced a different FF handguard. At this point i have little trigger time with the new build, and no trigger time with the swap, so I can't really attest to their durability/stability/whateverotherbility. I will say that they both installed very easily, and they seem very solid. Like Eric, I like that they included a QD swivel socket. I installed the swivel sockets right away, whereas my accessory rail sections are still in their packaging.

Regarding the swapped handguard - I originally purchased a Troy 13" TRX Extreme for that rifle, but found it barely cleared the Daniel Defense low profile clamp on gas block once the hg was installed. Clearance was so minimal that just setting the hg on a rest caused it to contact the gas block. I didn't have a different gas block on hand, so the 2nd Evo I planned to save for a rainy day project was put into service. The Evo has a larger inner diameter compared to the Troy, and it allowed plenty of clearance for the gas block. I suppose it would behoove me to obtain a Troy lo-pro set screw gas block to toss in the box with the TRX Extreme for said rainy day project.
    Last edited by hikeeba; 5 July 2012 at 09:05.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For those who are possibly interested in buying this rail. Rainier Arms just got them back in stock. Im about to take the plunge and order it..