Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In another life I was a tactical medic in the City of Detroit. I had 3 mags on my rig and 1 in the rifle. Never had a problem.
    Last edited by 2ATA; 2 September 2011 at 06:39. Reason: can't spell on a Friday
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - - Albert Einstein

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Brainstorming My First Rig

Quote Originally Posted by lamarbrog View Post
    I've been thinking a bit on what y'all've said about low profile, and also been thinking hard on if 4 magazines would be okay... I may have mentioned this before, but I was raised in the suburbs of a large city. I, fortunately, lived in a good area with mostly retired engineers. However, my neighborhood was surrounded by some pretty rough areas... and the thought that in a natural disaster (or just general unrest) that hordes of gang members, etc. from the bad areas would come on in to "pillage our village" was a looming thought in anyone's mind who was alert to such things.

I live in a quiet, small town now... But I'm finding that scenario is so ingrained in my mind that it's hard to break out of it.

While I am not yet ready to go down to 4 mags, that will probably come with time. Which is why I am thinking maybe I ought to consider something besides the chest rig that carried 6 mags, two per pouch. If I go down to 4 mags, it won't carry evenly.

A very helpful member here alerted me to the Blue Force Gear Ten Speed chest rig. It carries six magazines, but only one per pouch. If I ever change my mind, I can't just not put magazines in the two outside pockets... they could be empty or used for something else.

Only problem I am seeing with that is it doesn't have molle on it.... so IFAK, GP pouch, radio pouch, nalgene pouch, etc. don't have any room.
    Easy way to address both of your conerns is to run the chestrig as a second line or supplement to a war belt with IFAK, radio (police scanner?), gp pouch, pistol holster, two mags or so, etc...I have the BFG chestrig and that is how I would employ it.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Still just not too fond of the war belt, I've decided on trying the Esstac Bush Boar 6 mag carrier with molle on the front. Any objections?

I've got an Amateur Radio License and a Yaesu FT-60-R, so that would be in my radio pouch. I'm not exactly sure what everyone else is using for a radio... FRS? Are there more hams than I thought in the shooting community?

Downloads
    Uploads
    There should be ... they were invaluable during Katrina

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just added a dual band TYT-UVF1 to my chest harness. I use the MURS channels for now, but in an EMERG will use the ham band if needed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Striker071 View Post
    There should be ... they were invaluable during Katrina
    Really, anyone into disaster preparedness needs an Amateur Radio License and a radio.

I was fortunate enough to have telephone service restored almost immediately following hurricane Ike. Before I went to do radio support for FEMA, I relayed a couple different emergency message from my radio to 911. Vehicle fires and such. When the land lines are down and the cell towers are overwhelmed with traffic a radio keeps you from being isolated.