Downloads
    Uploads

Melonite QPQ Heat Treatment

Hello Guys,

I have been locally serving the state of Minnesota private citizens their Melonite QPQ needs for guns, knives, engine, suspension parts for about 4 years now. Seems like there is nobody that has the time unless you are a big corporation to give competitive pricing for us normal people looking to enhance our metal. I have a warehouse in the Minneapolis area that I and co-owner do processing in our spare time. I am looking to expand onto the internet and see if this turns into a full time gig. If you would like more information regarding Melonite QPQ and what it can do for you. Shoot me an email. Click on the link and that will give a general overview of what we offer.

The Melonite QPQ process is a multi-step process that provides a very uniform consistent nitride layer on your components. The first step of the process is a preheat to raise the components surface temperature to about 700 - 800°F in air. The product is then transferred to the MEL 1/TF1 tank containing the liquid Melonite salt to begin the Nitrocarburizing process. The salt melt mainly consists of alkali cyanate and alkali carbonate. It is operated in a pot made from special material, and the pot is fitted with an aeration device. The active constituent in the MEL 1 / TF 1 bath is the alkali cyanate. The Nitrocarburizing process step is conducted in the MEL 1 / TF 1 bath at 896-1166°F, the standard temperature is usually 1076°F. When ferrous alloys are immersed into the bath it creates a reaction with the salt and begins to diffuse nitrogen and a small amount of carbon into the substrate. Because the Melonite process is a liquid nitriding processs, the nitride layer is extremely uniform on inside surfaces as well as outside surfaces. The product is allowed to soak in the MEL 1/TF 1 bath for a predetermined period to achieve the desired cased depth and compound layer thickness. Unlike gas nitriding or gas nitro-carburizing, the substances -- MEL 1 / TF 1 and REG 1 - needed for the MELONITE®- and QPQ®-process, do not contain constituents classified as toxic or harmful to the environment. A specially developed cooling bath (AB 1 bath) is used for carrying out the oxidative treatment after salt bath nitrocarburizing. During this treatment, a black iron oxide layer (magnetite) is produced on the surface of the treated parts, which greatly enhances the corrosion resistance. The temperature of the cooling bath is 700 - 800°F. Apart from the oxidative effect, the bath has a positive influence on the dimensional stability of the cooled components. After all this has been done I will hand polish the metal and then move back into Post-Oxidizing. And that will conclude the process.

Wear Resistance & Running Properties

Due to the intermetallic composition of the compound layer, the friction and the tendency to weld with a metallic counter-partner are reduced. Excellent sliding and running properties, as well as greater wear resistance, are the well-known advantages of MELONITE®-treated components. Wear tests and practical application repeatedly confirm the superior wear resistance of salt bath nitrocarburized parts over traditional or induction hardened or hard chrome plated surfaces. In very many cases, the wear resistance of the compound layer is improved still further by an oxidative post treatment. For example, components such as transmission shafts, plug gauges and hydraulic aggregates have a longer service life after MELONIZING® than after hard chrome plating.

Carbon Steel, Alloy, Stainless Steel can all be treated. Typical Hardness ranges from HRC 60 to HRC 70-75 on Stainless steel. This is far superior Heat Treat compared to Chrome/Nickel plating....black oxide. They do not stand a chance against Melonite. Google Melonite Vs. Chrome Salt Spray Testing for the results.

Things I will need in order to give a quote is a basic drawing (including Length/Width/Height and weight of part or parts. Also the Type of Steel is important!! That will determine the recipe that I use for when I process. Turn around time is typically around 3 weeks. Prices range from 149.99-189.99 depending on size, weight, etc.

Will
    www.MeloniteQPQ.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a CHF G-3 barrel that I have been considering to be treated. I bought it from HK part.net it is either a FMP or POF manufactured barrel as best as I can tell .
    I don't know the exact grade of steel I never saw it posted on HK parts net it just stated it was HK contract barrel.
    Barrel length 17" the width at the trunnion is .868" .