Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

VTAC sling on M16A2?

I've been trying to figure out what kind of sling I want for my rifle and after a few weeks of reading I've really come to be impressed with what the VTAC sling has to offer.

So, I'm all ready to get a VTAC... but there's one hang up. How well will this work on a full size rifle? As far as sling mounting goes, it's basically an M16A2 equivalent. (It is flat top, but I don't have rails like on an M16A4... so a rail-mounted sling mount is not an option.)

I'd imagine it would probably work okay if I got a side mount sling swivel like Colt offers.... Dynamic Armament has them for $30.

What I'm really looking for is someone who is using this set up and can say "It works". I don't want to spend $100 getting this gear to discover I max out adjustment before it can do anything worthwhile.

Thanks guys.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got one on my carbine and it has a ton of adjustment, they're made long so they can be cut down by the user. I like the sling but find it has a small index point for adjustment, which isn't a big deal if you're not constantly adjusting it. Mine is also a bit older, I believe they've changed the adjustment mechanism to something larger now. I can't comment on its use on a full size rifle. Have you looked at the Ares Armor Huskey Amentum? I am now, simply because I like the large index point and its (apparent) ease of use. I don't intend to sway your decision, the VTAC is a good sling, just thought the Amentum worth mentioning.
    -Mitch-

Downloads
    Uploads
    The VTAC, BFG VCAS, and Ares should all work fine on the longer rifle - max out the fixed adjustment and you'll be set. I do use the side mounted sling swivel on my work A4, but even when I'm just going to the range (and going without that), it works just fine: use the front sling swivel on bottom with the buttstock on top. If you can find a cheap buttstock adapter, that will help a ton (rifle will hang naturally if it's hanging from the top in the rear, not so much if justing using both existing swivels).
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've ran a VTAC sling on an A2 buttstock and it works fine. Just get the A2 buttstock sling adaptor for the buttstock. Up front, I prefer to mount the sling on the side, but it can also work on the bottom.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the quick responses guys.

The Ares sling actually looks really nice, thanks for alerting me to it... I wonder about the durability of what appears to be a polymer slider, though. I guess it is fine... does it seem solid? I kind of worry about the loop being a snag risk, too. It definitely seems quick to adjust, though, which is nice.

Tough call, lots of good options.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I seem to recall MARSOC bought a bunch of Amentums. That doesn't speak to their durability and I don't know how or if they were tested but one things for sure, those guys will beat the hell out of 'em and expose any weakness'.
    -Mitch-

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's good to know Uglyduck, thanks for the info.

I'll order the Colt front sling mount from Dynamic Armament and mull this over a bit. I've been eyeing the VTAC for a while, and have a few friends who like it. The Amentum may be a step up, though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would look into something like the IWC QD sling swivels over the barrel side-swivel.
    Much cleaner, keeps your sling attachment point off the barrel (though not having a FF tube isn't going to help too much), and it's even easier than pounding those roll pins.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't have a rail- so by the time I add a Knight's M5 RAS I've got a $500 into mounting a sling, and a ton of additional weight. Not worth it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lamarbrog,
    I think what he was saying was getting this:

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.c...d-micro-mount/

and adding it to your handguards. I agree with him. It allows you to take the sling off quickly if need be.

Chris

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ahh.. the thing I found was rail mounted it seemed. That makes more sense.

But, won't that put it in the way of the sights potentially?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by lamarbrog View Post
    Ahh.. the thing I found was rail mounted it seemed. That makes more sense.

But, won't that put it in the way of the sights potentially?

No. It does not.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess the implication is to install this front and back? The benefit being that I am able to remove the sling from the rifle quickly?

The Amentum sling has a QD buckle so you can lose the rifle quickly if you need to. I can definitely see a benefit to that if the rifle gets jammed somewhere, you fall in water, etc.

What are the benefits to being able to remove the entire sling quickly, though? Especially if I am only using one sling and not switching back and forth. I can definitely see how it would be convenient- but can someone explain what the practical benefit is?

I'm not saying there isn't one, I just don't see it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The ability to quickly remove the sling is nice, but the reason I am recommending it is because it is a clean, simple solution that is extremely cost effective.

Interfere with sights? Not if you drill a 1/2" hole in the side of the HG into which you mount the QD cup.

Downloads
    Uploads
    F2S is right, cheap and very effective.

I would suggest having two options of egress from the rifle when you NEED it is better than one, no?

Chris