Downloads
    Uploads

20" Rifle Rail System

I'm currently content with my rifle, but am looking a little bit ahead and considering the possibilities of getting a railed forearm for it.

Questions I have-

Does anyone have a 20" rifle with a rail system, and does is really offer much of a benefit considering the added weight? Basically, am I going to regret getting a rail system? The only things I could really think to put on it would be a flashlight, a VFG, and maybe a bipod.

It seems the KAC M5 RAS is the "standard" since it's military issue. They seem to price out at about $380+ for new...
    Looking around a bit, though, the Daniel Defense Omega rail is around $320, and it is free floated... is there any practical reason to get the KAC M5 RAS, aside from attempting an accurate M16A4 clone? Seems the DD Omega is cheaper, lighter, free float, and has built-in quick-release sling attachment points. Does the KAC M5 RAS offer something special I am missing?

Downloads
    Uploads
    If all you need is a VFG and a flashlight mount...have you considered going with the Magpul rifle length handguards, VFG, and light rail kit?

Downloads
    Uploads
    That certainly isn't a bad idea... I'm really not that fond of the MOE handguards in general, but that might be the most logical approach for this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There are plenty of options out there. Do you want free float, or is the non-free float OK? If you go free-float, do you want to keep the front sight base, or do you want to go with a low-profile gas block and a 13-14" rail to cober up the gas block?

Downloads
    Uploads
    If cost is going to drive the decision in any way, and all you're looking at is VFG, Flashlight, and maybe bipod, then the MOE handguard is going to be the winner, hands down. If cost is less of an object, and weight/FF is a concern, then the DD Lite is going to be the winner - either a 12.0, or the aforementioned rifle extended length rails (Troy 13" Extreme, DD 14.0, LT 13.2) over a shaved or LP gas block.

The M5RAS doesn't do anything much better than the MOE unless you're wanting to run an APTIAL or equivalent on the top rail. There are other drop-in systems as well, but if you're looking at a pricey railed handguard, DD is going to be on the short list of preferred options.
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cost always matters in the sense I don't want to pay more for a product of lesser performance. However, I do appreciate quality and am willing to save to get it.

By biggest concern is weight. Rails are rails- if they are there, I can use them, but I don't have to. If they're weighing me down while providing no benefit, that's not good.

Here's what I am finding on weight.

8.46oz - A2 Handguard (from some random guy online)
    12.13oz - MOE 12" handguard (MagPul website, interestingly they say this has the light weight of a standard handguard)
    13.40 oz - DD Omega (DD website)
    15.3oz - DD Lite (DD website)
    17.00oz - KAC M5 RAS (KAC website)

It looks like adding about 3.5oz is going to be mandatory to get to any sort of rails at all, in the form of the MOE. However, with the Omega offering free float, aluminum construction, and the rails already installed, it's probably worth the addition 1.5oz. (That, and I think it is visually more appealing- although that isn't really a good reason.

I am failing to see any reason to get the DD Lite or the KAC M5 RAS. The Lite is heavier than the Omega (how ironic), has a proprietary barrel nut, and is more expensive. The RAS is heavy, most expensive, and isn't even free floated...

Since weight is my big fear with this- would it be an accurate model to just attach weight to the A2 handguard until I reach the weight of the Omega to see if that would bother me? I'd kind of like free float- with a 20" barrel and an ACOG, I ought to take advantage of the accuracy potential.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Rob S has a good spreadsheet for Rail Systems. Check out the link.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If weight and money are a concern, then check out something like the Troy MRX, Samson, or Rainier Arms handguards. They have the bolt on rails so you only put them where you want/need and it saves some weight.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Never really have been a fan of bolt on rails. Just personal preference, or lack thereof.

Based on that chart- it seems that the DD M4 rail would be a pretty safe bet. If I'm reading the chart correctly it is actually lighter than MOE handguards?

It does have a proprietary barrel nut, though, which is one reason I am fond of the DD Omega and the KAC M5 RAS. I have most of the tools to work on stock rifles- and I don't really want to have to add additional "special" tools to that, and have non-standard parts.

The chart's going to be helpful- at this point I guess I just need to decide if 3.3oz additional weight is worth having common parts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I understand the weight argument, but keep in mind that it is still a 20" rifle (not all that handy), I'm assuming A2/A4 barrel profile, and that you're going to be adding further weight to it. The DD M4 Rail would make it an outstanding SDMR clone, and the DD Lite/OmegaX options are pretty reasonable (cost to weight ratio) even factoring in the barrel wrench if weight is the driving factor. If cost is, the TRX Extreme 13.0, shaving down the FSB, and running MBUS is one easy answer, as would be the DD MFAR 12.0 Modular Handguard system.

There are aluminum handguards that weight less than the complete delta assembly, two handguards, heatshield(s), and handguard cap, yes: DD 12.0 Lite, OmegaX, and M4 Rails all do. Odds are that lead will disappear once you add rail covers, and whatever accessories motivated you to spend money and install railed handguards in the first place - but the important part is the added capability.

If I could own one 20" Rifle, it would be a SAM-R or SDMR Clone - the 12" FF Railed handguard with a magnified optic is the one place a 20" M16/AR15 shines, so I do think the DD M4 Rail would be an ideal choice, but if you're only going to shoot it within 200m then saving money and picking up some MOE handguards is probably smarter.
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the easiest route to go with these is the products from Impact Weapons Components. They make light mounts, sling mounts, bipod mounts and other pieces that are specifically built for the MOE handguards. On my carbine length, I have a Scout light mount and an HK-style sling mount, and they are both small, light, well-made and IWC has great customer service. They do make pieces for the 20" handguard, which are made a little different from the other lengths if I am not mistaken. If you don't want to put a full length rail on your rifle, I think these pieces go a long way towards giving you most of the options a railed forearm would.