Downloads
    Uploads

Templar Consulting FastRail

Overview:

Templar Consulting is bringing a new rail system to the market and they sent us one of their 12.5 inch prototypes to try out – it’s called the FastRail.

Many features of the FastRail can be found on other rail systems, but what should catch your eye in the photo above is the presence of a second barrel nut. Additional barrel nuts can be purchased so that the end user can set up two barrel assemblies – perhaps of different lengths or calibers – to fit the rail system. The FastRail uses a proprietary barrel nut, but the wrench to install the nut is included.

(For this prototype I used an Ionbonded stainless 5.56 barrel and a bead blasted stainless 6.8 spc barrel.)

Due to the relative ease of installation, the end user can take the rail off and switch out barrels…er…fast. The caveat is that you need to use barrel assemblies equipped with a low profile gas block.

Installation is pretty straight forward and the design is similar to other successful rail systems I’ve worked with.

Installation:

On the right side of the rail there are two allen head screws that tighten the rail against the barrel nut.

On the left side of the rail a torx headed set screw acts to spread the gap in the rail so that it will fit over the barrel nut.

First install the barrel into your upper receiver and use the supplied barrel nut wrench to tighten to 40-55 foot pounds of torque.

(Note that in this photo the gas tube is not yet installed, but the barrel nut can be tightened with one already in place. The gas tube must be installed prior to moving onto the next step.)

Next, remove the allen head screws and tighten the torx set screw to spread the receiver end of the rail.

Install the rail so that it mates flush up against the receiver (there are anti-rotation tabs, though my photos don’t capture them well); then loosen the torx set screw. Now install and tighten the allen head screws to 25 inch pounds of torque.

With a muzzle device installed, the initial assembly is complete.

Barrel Swap:

I used the “Fast Rail” feature to make a rifle that I could switch easily from 5.56 to 6.8 spc. For that I needed a different magazine and bolt along with the barrel. But if I had chosen to switch between 5.56 and 300 AAC blackout I would need nothing but the other barrel assembly.

(5.56 barrel assembly installed.)

I timed myself on switching from 5.56 to 6.8 and it took just under 10 minutes.

(6.8 spc barrel assembly installed.)

Now I don’t want to mislead any of you; there is no claim that switching out barrels is something that could be done easily in the field. You need the barrel nut wrench and the included (but not present in photos) torx and allen wrenches – and as always, I recommend using a proper vise set up for your upper as well as torque wrenches for a proper installation. However, the barrel nuts and their wrench are designed so that the gas tube can remain in place during assembly/disassembly. When you are familiar with the process, the barrel switch out goes pretty quickly.

The FastRail allows many of us who operate on a tight budget, to basically have two rifles in one. Beyond this selling point, the rail itself is designed well. It comes with a removable sling swivel stud along the front of the bottom rail, and has four limited rotation QD sockets – two forward and two aft – on both side rails.

Keeping in mind that this is a prototype…I’ll do my best to answer any questions in this discussion thread: http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...1935#post31935
    Last edited by TripleBravo; 11 October 2011 at 22:14.

Downloads
    Uploads