Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engraving?

Downloads
    Uploads
    You are correct about the upper, the upper of an AR is not the receiver. You can mark the barrel, only the serial number must be on the receiver.

§ 479.102 How must firearms be identified?
    (a) You, as a manufacturer, importer,
    or maker of a firearm, must legibly
    identify the firearm as follows:
    (1) By engraving...
    on the frame or receiver thereof
    an individual serial number...

...on the frame, receiver, or barrel
    thereof certain additional information...
    (i) The model, if such designation has
    been made;
    (ii) The caliber or gauge;
    (iii) Your name...

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_20...cfr479.102.pdf

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosDJackal View Post
    I have to make a correction here. The ATF came out with a letter that specifically debunked the myth that one can engrave the barrel or the upper receiver OF AND AR-15 to meet the NFA standards. it has to be done on the registered item (IE: lower receiver of an AR-15).

Yup.Thanks for the correction. Engraving the barrel is OK, upper receiver not so much. I agree that engraving the barrel of an AR imposes fleixibility limitations that would make that a puzzling choice of location, IMHO.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I agree that engraving the barrel of an AR imposes fleixibility limitations that would make that a puzzling choice of location, IMHO.
    Not if you own a set of hand stamps and have a DIY attitude. Easy and free to mark as many barrels as you want. Best option for everyone, No but it's a good option for some.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So don't mean to hijack the thread but have a related question.

If I plan on making an SBR by attaching a stock onto the existing buffer tube of an AR-type pistol, would I be right in assuming I need to fill out the Form 1 and do the engraving on the lower?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yuup. Because you can configure the short barreled upper as a pistol, this is common practice to assemble a pistol AR while waiting for the returned Form 1 paperwork.
    Hatter

Took a little hiatus... good to be back.

Downloads
    Uploads
    ^ IIRC, this is only possible if the original receiver wasn't registered as a rifle. Turning a rifle into a pistol is a no-no in the ATF's eyes. But one can turn a pistol into a rifle w/o annoy issues.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've only seen one SBR that actually had engraving. Almost no one I know does it. Form 1ing a Silencer or something without engraving would be a WHOLE different ball game, Jack. An SBR has traceability with the actual serial number, original manufacturor, etc.