Thread: Fun at Walmart

Downloads
    Uploads

Fun at Walmart

A little background- I'm turning 19 in a few days, and have been buying "pistol" ammunition at Walmart for plinking for about a year. Since this is, of course, for a pistol-caliber carbine it's all fine and dandy. The register always asks "Are you 21?" and I say "It's for a rifle, just over-ride it." The grunt behind the counter shrugs, presses a couple buttons, and off I go. If they see an ID, it is briefly and never leaves my hand.

So, yesterday I was going shooting with my cousin and his cousin (cousin once removed? I dunno.) and thought I would pick up an extra box of 9mm to supplement the plinking ammo I already had, and some .223Rem. All went fine and dandy.

An hour later, I realize that I had shot the 9mm I thought I had, so I went back to Walmart to get some more.

This time, the guy takes my ID and punches some numbers into the register when it comes up as 21. Says he can't sell it to me until I'm 21. I inform him it's fine, since it is for a rifle, and is therefore not pistol ammo. The guy just can't do it. Okay, fine, let's get a manager over here.

Manager comes over- he can't do anything. He's not disagreeing that it's legal, he just doesn't want to tell the computer wrong information or some such nonsense. (I've bought 9mm at WalMart probably 10-15 times over the past year, and never have run into an issue before.)

Okay, let's get a different manager. This time we get a middle-aged woman who knows nothing at all about ammunition. She just treats me like a criminal. "No, the answer is no, and I'm not moving this up the line- I'm the final word, I'm the boss. No."

At this point, the initial employee that started this whole thing says "I think some of this other ammo is okay." He grabs a box of Remington 9mm, scans it, and it asks if it is for a rifle or pistol. He hits rifle, and it asks if I'm 18. Yes.

So I say "Ma'am... this ammunition is just a different brand... they are the same thing, it's a computer issue."
    "I'm sorry, the final answer is no. I don't like it, I won't allow it."

So, the initial manager (who was pretty cool- just trying to protect his job) says he can sell me the Remington for the price of the cheap Tula. Of course, I comply with this, and left with three boxed of Remington 9mm for $9.47 each.

Hopefully they'll have this fixed by next time- otherwise I'll have to go to a different Walmart until they forget who I am.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hurry up and turn 21. Obviously you're not trying hard enough.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Went to the other Walmart today and bought 200 rounds of Tula 9mm... didn't even card me to verify I was any age. (I have a beard and am told I look about 22-24.)

I like this Walmart better anyway- cleaner and bigger.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I worked at a Walmart for almost two years and got fired when they merged the toy and electronics departments. (just an internal organization thing) They refused to sell me ammo that day, and every day for the next two weeks. I was more pissed off about that than about getting fired.