Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I believe there has been some issues regarding the use the trigger finger to release the retention safety device. I'm not a big fan of it but I haven't used it much. I believe FLETC wont allow their use anymore due to an accidental discharge. I don't know if this was an "overreaction" on their part. I just didn't keep up with it - I don't know how old this information is and it could have changed at this point.. I was given one, tried it, just wasn't a big fan. Its actually sitting in a gear trunk in my basement.. All my dept gear in the past have a thumb break and that's what I'm used to and train with so I would like to be consistent across the board (muscle memory) . I guess my ideology is that my index finger is meant to be used for one thing..pulling the trigger.

About the actual retention/failure rate of the holster - I don't know. But that my .02 cents... Like I said, this is a personal opinion not liking the Serpa, and what I have heard from other fellow LE...So if I am saying anything incorrectly, let me apologize now..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by neo9710 View Post
    I believe there has been some issues regarding the use the trigger finger to release the retention safety device. I'm not a big fan of it but I haven't used it much. I believe FLETC wont allow their use anymore due to an accidental discharge. I don't know if this was an "overreaction" on their part. I just didn't keep up with it - I don't know how old this information is and it could have changed at this point.. I was given one, tried it, just wasn't a big fan. Its actually sitting in a gear trunk in my basement.. All my dept gear in the past have a thumb break and that's what I'm used to and train with so I would like to be consistent across the board (muscle memory) . I guess my ideology is that my index finger is meant to be used for one thing..pulling the trigger.

About the actual retention/failure rate of the holster - I don't know. But that my .02 cents... Like I said, this is a personal opinion not liking the Serpa, and what I have heard from other fellow LE...So if I am saying anything incorrectly, let me apologize now..
    No need to apologize......I read the warnings and saw some cases of the issues. I'm trying several out before I make my final decision. I have not had any issues with the SERPA. Like you said, it's a muscle memory thing

Downloads
    Uploads
    I remember a couple of the other guys who had just gotten the holster were having a slight issue with not depressing the release enough. That's when the fumbling around (with their trigger finger) started...Glad you found something you like!

Be safe..

Downloads
    Uploads
    I remember a couple of the other guys who had just gotten the holster were having a slight issue with not depressing the release enough. That's when the fumbling around (with their trigger finger) started...Glad you found something you like!

Be safe..
    Like I said.....still testing......I was just curious as to Stick's view on why he hates them so much.

This guy seems to love it........30 seconds in to the video.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhoHx...ayer_embedded#!

Downloads
    Uploads
    The biggest issue I have seen is with the mechanism looking up and locking the weapon in it, and when they lockup, they lockup hard. There is a certain tactical sasquatch that has been warning people off of the SERPA for many, many, years.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - - Albert Einstein

Downloads
    Uploads
    Aside from the lock up issues of the SERPA, I believe there is something quite wrong with a design that requires the user to use the pressure of one's trigger finger to release the gun. That pressure is not going to disappear when the gun is released.

It's an accident waiting to happen.

Wait, it actually did.

Warning for language

He doesn't blame the holster but I do.

It's a bad idea to use to use the trigger finger for anything other than pressing the trigger when working with one's sidearm.

Just my opinion.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Opinions on holsters aside, I think that guy showed an incredible level of discipline after the shooting. He didn't chuck the gun in fury/fear, he made a calm and rational decision to lay it down before anything else. Pretty cool.
    C. Smith

Downloads
    Uploads
    The release mannerism is flawed, which is why other manufacturers who have used anything similar have stopped. The mechanism itself is prone to locking up and not releasing the pistol. I've seen this happen multiple times, with tools being required to cut the holster apart in some cases, though in cases flushing the holster for awhile with a heavy stream of water will work to release the pistol.

There is no reason to ever use this holster, and that is why no one doing serious work and having serious knowledge is recommending or using them.

For people using the simple answer of muscle memory, they are ignoring the other aspects of stress, injury, pain, unstable movement and the like which play into this being a dangerous item. Its not just muscle memory, though to a lesser degree that is part of it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the explanation.......Like I said, I have others that are due in and waiting to try.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    The release mannerism is flawed, which is why other manufacturers who have used anything similar have stopped. The mechanism itself is prone to locking up and not releasing the pistol. I've seen this happen multiple times, with tools being required to cut the holster apart in some cases, though in cases flushing the holster for awhile with a heavy stream of water will work to release the pistol.

There is no reason to ever use this holster, and that is why no one doing serious work and having serious knowledge is recommending or using them.

For people using the simple answer of muscle memory, they are ignoring the other aspects of stress, injury, pain, unstable movement and the like which play into this being a dangerous item. Its not just muscle memory, though to a lesser degree that is part of it.
    Forwarded to my range staff for their review and consideration..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Forwarded to my range staff for their review and consideration..
    Good luck, neo9710! Logical explanations about clear issues on equipment shortcomings provided by experts in the field NEVER creep into decisions within my Department. Serpas are issued to all officers in non-patrol status here, including the executive officers who failed to listen and picked them. I cringe every time I see them used at the range.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by triplebravo View Post
    Good luck, neo9710! Logical explanations about clear issues on equipment shortcomings provided by experts in the field NEVER creep into decisions within my Department. Serpas are issued to all officers in non-patrol status here, including the executive officers who failed to listen and picked them. I cringe every time I see them used at the range.
    And your not kidding. But, they have bended and are actually somewhat listening recently. You should hear the debate on the issues that we are having on the racks that were ordered for the patrol cars for the rifles! COMICAL!!

PM coming your way..Grab a beer and some popcorn prior to reading...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by xbmxracerx View Post
    Just trying I thought slams were prohibited(frowned upon)....
    When a product is as dangerous and crappy as the Serpa, you can't hold back.