Downloads
    Uploads

Completing a 12.5 upper - Care to share some opinions?

A while back I was trying to decide between a 10.3", 11.5" and 12.5" The primary purpose was as a suppressed HD gun. I went with the 10.3" for shortest OAL. And I figured I would eventually build up a 12.5" anyway.

So the 12.5" rolling toward completion. There are a few outstanding items and I was hoping you might share some thoughts on how (and why) you would finish it out. Keep in mind that I want this to be a general purpose rifle.

The basics: DD A4 upper receiver, DD 10" Lite, DD 12.5" CHF barrel

Needs:

BCG
    I have thought about using the DD BCG out of my 10.3" and replacing that with a Fail Zero BCG (since it's suppressed and gets very dirty). I don't think you'll see me lugging that brick through a carbine course, so I'm not sure it's completely necessary. Should I go for it to be on the safe side, or do you think I should just go with another normal BCG and leave the 10.3" alone? The cost isn't really an issue, but if it's unnecessary I could use the money on ammo.

Flash supressor/compensator
    I have no plan to suppress this one, so I thought I might give try a Battle Comp. Currently I have a simple birdcage FH. Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to try one out, and I don't know anyone around me who has one. I've watched adn read multiple reviews, and my curiosity has it on my list. I also gave some thought to the AAC hybrid FH/Comp, in case I decided to attach my M4-2000. I have a brake on my 16" and I'm not sure if I want to go that route.

Optic
    I have a set of KAC micros and I'm looking for an optic. I currently have a 1.25-4x TR21 on my 16", and a T-1 on my 10.3". My thought was to simply use the T-1 on the 12.5" when I go to the range. After getting the irons set, I could make a simple adjustment to the T-1 to get the zero. I could simply reverse the operation when putting it back on the 10.3". A dedicated optic will be in the plan shortly. Cost won't be a killer because I'm willing to be patient on the funds.

Red Dot
    I like the T-1/H-1 quite well and the only other RDS that I've used was one of the older bulky EOTechs. And at that point in my shooting experience, I'm not sure I was able to properly assess it. My recollection (flawed as it might be) would lead me to another T-1/H-1. Any need to consider something other than the T-1/H-1? I am kind of curious about the smaller EOTechs and the Aimpoint Pro? I do like the notion of a smaller reticle.

1-4x variable
    First of all, what do you think about putting a 1-4x on the 12.5"? Since I was going for a general purpose rifle, having some magnification for distances out to 100m+ seems to be appropriate. I'm not thrilled with the TR21 on my 16". The triangle post reticle... eh, let's just say that after using it for a while, it just isn't for me. I may be in the market to replace that optic as well, so this may be a good time to test a replacement.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For a 12.5", I'd stick with a T-1. I'd leave it with the standard BCG to start out and see how it works.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo_Santos View Post
    For a 12.5", I'd stick with a T-1. I'd leave it with the standard BCG to start out and see how it works.
    For the 12.5" I was thinking of taking the standard BCG from my suppressed 10.3" and using the FZ in the 10.3"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Reference the NiB BCG it will be easier to clean in your suppressed rig.

I think if you try a Battle Comp, you'll be very impressed. I find it harder and harder to resist replacing all my muzzle devices with a BC of some kind.

Not to throw a monkey wrench into everything for you....you may find that the 12.5 inch set up is better to suppress. That 10.3 barrel will burn up a lot faster running it suppressed the whole time. Just a thought.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by triplebravo View Post
    That 10.3 barrel will burn up a lot faster running it suppressed the whole time. Just a thought.
    Thanks for the comments.

Since I already have the 10.3" I might as well use it up :) I don't think it will see as much use with the 12.5" coming into the mix. I still plan to train with it enough to know it well, but it won't see a ton of use. And there will be some unsuppressed use on the range.

Any thoughts on the optics?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodman24 View Post
    Red Dot
    I like the T-1/H-1 quite well and the only other RDS that I've used was one of the older bulky EOTechs. And at that point in my shooting experience, I'm not sure I was able to properly assess it. My recollection (flawed as it might be) would lead me to another T-1/H-1. Any need to consider something other than the T-1/H-1? I am kind of curious about the smaller EOTechs and the Aimpoint Pro? I do like the notion of a smaller reticle.
    You really can't go wrong with a T/H-1. Don't rule out the PRO either. I've get a couple more on order and believe that they are one of the best buys in a RDS right now. If taking the EOTech route, I would look at an XPS. A variable power in the 1-4X range is an option, but to me, the SBR calls for a RDS. It really comes down to what you want.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If youve used the t-1 and like it, Id stick with it. Having gone down the same road in the past, starting with an old eotech and moving up to a t-1, the only reason I see going back is if the user finds himself preferring the eotech's reticle. All other points go to the t-1, IMHO. For the record, Ive also tried the XPS on a friend's weapon and my quick assessment of it is, it's definitely a better eotech... but again, between the 2, the t-1 still gets my vote.

Downloads
    Uploads
    2 MOA T-1s are now available! My RDS decision just got easier. How did I miss hearing that those were coming out?

For now I've decided to stay with the standard BCG in the 10.3", and with the A2 FH on the 12.5". I do think I'll have to try the BattleComp and Fail Zero BCG before long (curiosity), just not right now.

Thanks for the input.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the A2 flash hider on anything that doesn't need a silencer mount. The battlecomp gets old quick. It's not as bad as a true brake, but it wears on you eventually.