Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Colt Defense 6720 or 6920

Good morning,

This question is directed to the LEOs that use these on a daily basis. What are your thoughts on the Colt
    6720 or 6920? This will be my first AR weapon. I currently use a FAL with an 18" barrel however, due to a shoulder
    injury the weight is affecting my ability to run this rifle. I want to hear about the durability of the rifle and your
    recomendations. I was thinking of an Aimpoint Micro, VLTOR Mod stock, and tango down grip. The rifle will be a
    carried behind the back seat of the truck in a secure mount as well as on a four wheeler when not carried in the
    field. Primary use is defense and predator control as well as loaning it to my brother for a patrol rifle when I am
    not in state. I do love Colt. I am sure you could do better however I do not think you could do much better in the
    price range as well as it being an approved rifle for the department.

Stickman your input would be very helpful with a link to your current rifle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    you really can't go wrong with either one. The 6720 comes with a BUIS, so it is ready for optics, such as the Aimpoint T-1. With the 6920, you'd have to buy a BUIS. Everything else is virtually the same. The 6720 has a pencil barrel, but the 6920 is still slightly lighter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No question about it, I would go with the LW model, the 6720.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would also go the 6720 route. It really gives up nothing to the 6920, except a bit of weight. It's a carbine that I wish I could justify buying right now. I have an older 6520 that was reworked to something similar to a 6720, but I'm stuck with the non-standard .170 trigger.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm issued the 6920, and policy limits what I can modify or add to the weapon. I'd much rather run something different that better fit my needs. That said, for a first AR, it's not a bad choice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    6920 is good, 6720 is best. Honestly, if you need more mechanical accuracy than a 6720 can offer you you need a precision rifle - for anything else the 6720 is arguably the best starting point.
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you for the replies. One last question is do the lightweight law enforcement carbines on the market have the regular pin sizes? I see the Colt 6720 with the Roger's stock right now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    do the lightweight law enforcement carbines on the market have the regular pin sizes?.
    Yes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunfj40 View Post
    Thank you for the replies. One last question is do the lightweight law enforcement carbines on the market have the regular pin sizes? I see the Colt 6720 with the Roger's stock right now.

That stock would be the first thing that would go, I have no idea what Colt was thinking with that. I would much rather have a standard stock.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd probably go for the 6720. BUIS instead of a carry handle, and the light barrel profile are winners.

Not sure what the perceived problem is with the Rogers stock. I haven't used one in live-fire, but I have handled one extensively. It's certainly no SOPMOD, but I consider it to be a definite upgrade over an M4 stock and would be in no hurry to change it. (Maybe there is an issue I am unaware of.)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Colt has definitely lost their minds....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pretty much. It's tough to understand. Luckily lots of nice stocks are on the market for such a nice rifle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I suspect that Clyde or G&R Tac will start carrying the 6720's with MOE furniture and aftermarket FSP rails as a standard item once those are all available in-stock items. I really think starting off users couldn't beat a 6720, Centurion C4 FSP handguard, MOE Pistol Grip and CTR or IMOD stock.
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    It really depends on you...

If you're extremely concerned about weight well, you can sacrifice barrel integrity for a light weight barrel. Depending on how much shooting you'll be doing this may or may not matter.
    I have a 6920, highly modified. But, loved it straight out of the box. Colt knows how to build an AR... no doubt, they're the Gold Standard compared to by everyone out there.
    I would urge you to go with the 6920. The Ma Tech rear sight that is used on the 6720... I don't care for, but my weapons are hard use weapons. A layer of protection for my sighting system means a lot.
    I have an Aimpoint PRO mounted with Troy Back ups on a Daniel Defense Modular rail, I like the set up. However occasionally I participate in Era rifle matches and have retained the carry handle for those type of situations/competitions.
    You really can't go wrong with a Colt unless you get something that is extremely proprietary, then you'll be limited on options down the road.

Dutch
    1/*

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Colt has definitely lost their minds....
    I would think the reasoning behind it is that most of the buyers end up changing out the stocks anyway. MAybe a cost cutting deal?