Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone know Walther P38s? Troubleshooting.

Recently acquired a P38 made by Spreewerk in Feb. of '43. It's a Russian capture, rework.

Anyway, no surprise, the Russians didn't do the best job of refurbishing it- I'm having some minor functional issues.

It's had about 300 rounds through it since I got it, and I've had probably 15 failures to feed. It just isn't quite locking into battery all the way- needs a little more force to get the extractor to jump over the cartridge rim. I'm fairly confident some of the extra-power recoils springs from Wolff Gunsprings will correct this problem, and also reducing cyclic rate so I can limit wear and extend parts life.

What is puzzling me is I've had two occasions where the trigger didn't reset- there were probably 3 more where it was very sluggish on the reset. Is there any way this could be a side effect of the recoil spring problem? I don't see how- so is it safe to assume I'll need to get a new trigger return spring?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know this thread is a little old, but I just came here, so it is what it is.
    The recoil springs in the P38s are rather small, and will wear out. Definitely good to replace them. Have a good look at the small guide pins in the front ends of the springs too, as they are the parts that stop the slides rearward travel. If they have any peening, replace them as well.
    The trigger return doesn't have anything to do with the recoil springs, as you surmise. That spring could also be worn out, or there could be gunk from the 50+ yrs the gun has been around clogging up the works. It is possible that the right grip panel is dragging the trigger bar, and causing the problem, or that either grip panel is dragging on the sear, as it goes across the frame and pivots on the outside on two short pins pressed in from either side.
    Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations, LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Downloads
    Uploads
    I appreciate your response. I should have updated this thread a while ago- I ordered the extra power Wolff springs for the pistol, and it has been functioning just fine ever since. No failures of the trigger to reset, either. I'm not sure if changing the action springs somehow fixed that, or if it just wore off a burr or something, but it is working so I'm not complaining.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good to hear.
    On the trigger, if it ain't broke, no need to fix it.
    Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations, LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS