5.56 Five0 Guest

Blue Force Gear Lightweight Redi-magŪ

First off, I am a huge fan of the Redi Mags. I love the ability to carry a fully loaded spare magazine right next to my magwell. It also helps that the business end of the magazine if fully protected. Some complain about the extra weight but in my opinion the benefits of the extra magazine so close to where it will be needed out weigh this issue.

My opinion of this product only improves with this new design. It appears that quite a bit of thought went into this model. They made improvements on a system that I would not have thought needed any. I am the type that says if the weapon is too heavy do a few more lifts in the gym. With that said a lot of people are not like that and I can't wait to get my hands on one of these!

Downloads
    Uploads
    One of the things I like is that alteration of the magazine release. For me, it is much more natural in its current placement on this model. Release is smooth and efficient while grabbing the magazines for removal.

I've watched a lot of guys accidentally dump a mag while working drills on the range, and I think this evolution of the Redimag has taken a large portion of that issue away. Training issues can be over come, and there is no question about that, but some "training issues" can be avoided with equipment, or at least the issues can be smoothed out a bit.

5.56 Five0 Guest
    Hey Stick, do they just take a standard Redi Mag and then just cut out the areas they intend for the lightening cuts? I still see a portion of the logo. If that is all they are doing it would seem that if we had the nerve or will we could do a little modding ourselves if we already owned a RM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, its a standard RM, but its the angled cut that would be the harder part. The angle really puts the icing on the cake in my eyes.

5.56 Five0 Guest
    I wouldn't do the cuts, I was just asking. If it can be screwed up, I most likely would do it. I love the looks of that thing. When are they going to be available and what will it cost me?

Boogieman Guest
    Two questions about the Redi-Mag:

1. What is the typical cost of the lightweight version? I have only found one webpage that lists it at $165 and that seemed extremely high. (Granted I haven't looked very hard)

2. I was looking at one of what appeared to be an earlier model today at a gun show. When I pressed the magazine release on the right side of the lower receiver, both magazines dropped out. Is this the proper functioning of the Redi-Mag, was I using it wrong, or was it broke? (The dealer had no clue how to work it) And a follow-up Q about the release: If both mags are supposed to drop out at the same time, has anyone had issues with controlling both mags at the same time? or is this just a training issue?

As Stickman can appreciate, stripping the mag out of the magazine well during a reload is preferred over just hoping that the mag just falls out when the mag release is pressed. I would hate to fumble with two mags during a reload if both dropped out at the same time. (Once again, a training issue)

Comments appreciated.

Boogieman Guest
    From "http://www.redi-mag.com/redimagii.php":

We listened to the operators that praise our Redi-Mag but would like it even more if it had a magazine catch that is independent of the rifle magazine catch. Now, when you press the rifle magazine catch, it does not release the magazine in the Redi-Mag II, as the magazine in the Redi-Mag II is freed only by pressing the catch lever. This feature provides greater CQB advantage for both left and right handed individuals. Less training and practice are required to prevent accidental release of the spare magazine when reloading under stress, and weapon malfunctions are now easier and faster to correct.
    The magazine catch is machined alloy steel that increases the cost of production. We think that you will find the slightly higher price to be well worth it.
    I guess that partially answers my question.

Rather_Static Guest
    On my RRA lower, my Redimag has never worked, I have gorilla toruqed it, shaved some of the phenolic block down etc...I get too much play in it, it jumps off the release and renders the weapon useless...

Maybe the ones will work better, or mine is out of spec..but being independant of as stated previously is a plus.

I just can't see spended over x2 what I paid for the one I have now for something that is 'less'... lol.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There seems to be some confusion here, at least for me. First, let me preface this with the fact that I realize I'm a bit late to the party with this, the last post was over a year ago!

Anyhow,...

From what I've been able to glean from the Interwebs, there are two "Redi-Mags", for lack of a better term. One is from Blue Force Gear, the "Redi-Mod," and the other, the "Redi-Mag," is from Redi-Mag.com.

The "Redi-Mag," from Redi-Mag.com, is the original product

The "Redi-Mod," from Blue Force Gear, is a "Redi-Mag" that has been 'skeletonized,' and had the corners rounded off. Other than this, it is the same part as the original Redi-Mag, (from Redi-Mag.com)

One additional feature of the "Redi-Mod," is the addition of a quick-detach mechanism, which is available on the "Redi-Mag" for an additional cost, (MSRP $40.00).

When you consider the cost of the Redi-Mag, MSRP $84.95, (plus $40.00 for QD), versus the Redi-Mod, MSRP $174.95, is it really worth the additional $50.00 to have a skeletonized, rounded-off model?

Not to poo-poo either product, just an observation.

Did I miss anything?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the Redimag that Boogieman was using was one of the earlier ones, and I had ZERO use for them (my personal opinion). I know guys who loved them, but they never quite locked in, and I watched too many guys dumping 2 mags onto the ground while trying to reload.

Louie seemed to hit the highlights. The only model I'll keep around is the BFG version, and that hasn't come off since I got it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry folks, I should have posted the links for both products.

Here you go:

Redi-Mag from Redi-Mag.com---> http://www.redi-mag.com/Shop/pc/view...1&idcategory=5

Redi-Mod from Blue Force Gear---> http://www.blueforcegear.com/product...d=1&prod_id=91

Downloads
    Uploads
    I milled down 2 Redi-Mags. The angle cut was actually extremely easy on a milling machine, then using a sand belt to smoothen it out.

I'm going to sell one of them since I don't really need 2.