Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need New Boots

Downloads
    Uploads

Need New Boots

My current pair of Vandal boots from Danner is beginning to become worn. The stitching on one has popped, and I'm beginning to get holes in the Vibram soles. They had a good run, lasting six months before falling to my propensity to wear boots out faster than any other living human being.

There are a few options I am considering... but other ideas are definitely encouraged.

http://www.rockyboots.com/Product-De...ary-Duty-Boot/
    I like these because they're made in the USA, have Vibram soles, and are priced similar to what most companies import. The only issue I see is they don't appear to have much of a heel, which I am accustomed to and fond of.

http://www.danner.com/boots/desert-t...ary-boots.html
    These are getting excellent reviews on their website. I like that it appears to have more of a heel. The downside- they're imported, and don't have Vibram soles.

http://www.bellevilleshoe.com/produc...ent_product=16
    These are made in the USA. I have not owned Belleville before, but have heard good things. Vibram soles, big plus in my book. Steel toe is the downside for me.

I am seriously considering (probably about 90% likelihood) of attempting to join the Marine Corps in the next month or so. A good pair of boots that I could eventually use in that role (compliant with uniform requirements) is a big plus, although not absolutely necessary.

Experience, thoughts, comments, complaints, criticisms, advice? Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have previously had a pair of Oakley SI Assault Boots, which were very comfortable, but not waterproof, and the sole wore out fairly quickly.

http://www.oakley.com/products/oakle...nch/11096-001A

I also had previously had a pair of Danner Telson's, which I do not know if they make anymore, but they are similar to the Strikers. They were very comfortable out of the box, were waterproof, and the traction held up well.

I am currently wearing a pair of Blackhawk Warrior Wear Black Ops boots. They were extremely comfortable out of the box, are waterproof, and have a very aggressive tread that does not cake in the mud or snow. The tread also holds up well on slick surfaces, like wet interior tile floors. As for the waterproof ability, I stepped out of my patrol car into about 8 inches of water. I had to walk through said 8 inches of water for about 20 feet before I could get to "higher ground". The boots did not let in even the slightest amount of moisture. I have to say so far, these are my favorite pair of boots that I have had for both Military and Police work.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/War...ts,1063,20.htm

A little disclaimer about "waterproof". In using the term waterproof, I am really saying it as a matter of water resistance. There really is very little out there that is truly "waterproof", but the term seems to be thrown around freely. So as for the Blackhawk boots....they are very very very water resistant.

Hope that helps out some. Good luck in finding a pair that suits you and best of luck with your Marine Corps career.
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM
    Email ||| Webpage ||| Facebook ||| Flickr ||| YouTube Channel ||| Twitter ||| Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by zero7one View Post
    I have previously had a pair of Oakley SI Assault Boots, which were very comfortable, but not waterproof, and the sole wore out fairly quickly.

http://www.oakley.com/products/oakle...nch/11096-001A

I also had previously had a pair of Danner Telson's, which I do not know if they make anymore, but they are similar to the Strikers. They were very comfortable out of the box, were waterproof, and the traction held up well.

I am currently wearing a pair of Blackhawk Warrior Wear Black Ops boots. They were extremely comfortable out of the box, are waterproof, and have a very aggressive tread that does not cake in the mud or snow. The tread also holds up well on slick surfaces, like wet interior tile floors. As for the waterproof ability, I stepped out of my patrol car into about 8 inches of water. I had to walk through said 8 inches of water for about 20 feet before I could get to "higher ground". The boots did not let in even the slightest amount of moisture. I have to say so far, these are my favorite pair of boots that I have had for both Military and Police work.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/War...ts,1063,20.htm

A little disclaimer about "waterproof". In using the term waterproof, I am really saying it as a matter of water resistance. There really is very little out there that is truly "waterproof", but the term seems to be thrown around freely. So as for the Blackhawk boots....they are very very very water resistant.

Hope that helps out some. Good luck in finding a pair that suits you and best of luck with your Marine Corps career.

I have the same boots (since August) and so far so good. But, it took a little time to break in. The souls are wearing a little faster than I anticipated but very comfortable once they wore in. Also takes a pretty good polish! I keep on saying I am going to post up a little review but I jus havent yet.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You can always use what the Corps is using, http://www.ebay.com/sch/Mens-Shoes-/...&_sop=15&_sc=1

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by neo9710 View Post
    I have the same boots (since August) and so far so good. But, it took a little time to break in. The souls are wearing a little faster than I anticipated but very comfortable once they wore in. Also takes a pretty good polish! I keep on saying I am going to post up a little review but I jus havent yet.
    Which pair of boots are you using, the Blackhawks? For me the break-in was about 2 days before they felt just right.
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM
    Email ||| Webpage ||| Facebook ||| Flickr ||| YouTube Channel ||| Twitter ||| Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by zero7one View Post
    Which pair of boots are you using, the Blackhawks? For me the break-in was about 2 days before they felt just right.
    Affirm. Blackhawk Warrior Wear Black Ops Boot (8.5). Took me about a week to feel right. Now - very comfortable! It was the top of the boot that gave me the most problem. I agree with you on the tread. I took a picture of the bottom of the boot so I can keep track of the wear but I must have deleted it! Haven't had to walk through any extremely deep water (less than 8 inches) but definitely held its own. The Protected toe has taken a little bit of a beating but its still ticking. Had to clean the bottom off a couple of times - bristle brush - no problem. Also comfortable in the office. Let me see if I can snap some pics tomorrow..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by brit View Post
    You can always use what the Corps is using, http://www.ebay.com/sch/Mens-Shoes-/...&_sop=15&_sc=1
    I just contacted the seller about the pair of used 10W boots that show up first here.

The model number doesn't appear on the Danner website, but searching Google suggests these are cold weather boots. If they were temperate or hot, I'd order them in a heartbeat. Houston, TX isn't really compatible with anything cold weather, though.

If that doesn't turn out, the BlackHawk boots look appealing, although I'd probably get them in coyote tan rather than black. I like that they have Vibram soles. Are they imported?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lamar, I live over in New Braunfels, and I can definitely tell you that the temperate or cold weather boots would turn your feet into swampy stinkers. I would highly recommend hot weather boots if given the choice. Apparently, even the Temperate are uncomfortably warm in temperatures over 60.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Vandals I am wearing now are rated as being temperate weather boots... they're warm at times, but are also plenty warm for the winters here. Good all-purpose boots. I just wish they had lasted longer.

What kind of life should I be expecting from boots? Maybe my expectations are unrealistic. I just know I had a pair of Wolverines that I got used from my Dad, and I wore them for nearly three years. I reattached the outsole twice in this time, and eventually the midsole just disintegrated from age. Given the time he wore them- these boots had to have seen at least three years of use, maybe four.

I have a pair of Corcoran field boots I bought used for $40. They had definitely seen some major use when I got them, and I have put about a year on them with no appreciable increase in wear. I just don't wear them often because they are a little too big, and have no padding at all.

Since those two pairs- I wore out a pair of Ariat Sierra Saddle ropers within about three months. Totally destroyed the toe caps, I was pulling chunks of the interior out on a daily basis, and the "Duratread" was losing large pieces. Comfortable, but disappointing durability.

Traded those in for a pair of Double-H ropers. Reheeled them three times over the course of about six months. The leather stretched so badly I could barely keep them on my feet.

I began popping stitches on these Vandals around the 2 month mark. Five months in revealed the initial holes in the sole.

It really seems that about two months is all I can expect from a pair of boots.

Maybe I should just get in touch with some footwear companies to evaluate their products? I'd make a great torture test.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Update:

Rocky S2V: Ruled out upon finding that the soles are advertised as being truly "flat front to back" without a "pronounced heel". It may be good, it may be bad, but I haven't worn shoes without a heel since I was about 12- I don't want to have to learn how to walk again.

Danner FTX GTX Mojave: I can't get over the fact that they don't have Vibram soles, are imported, and still cost that much. Imported, Vibram-less Danners should not cost more than Vibram-soled, USA-made Rockys. Seems to be the definition of paying for a name.

Belleville 550ST: I wish they offered these without the steel toe, as I worry it will be uncomfortable. Aside from that, I would probably get these.

BLACKHAWK! Warrior Wear Desert Ops: While they are likely imported, they are priced well and have Vibram soles. Even better, we're a dealer for BLACKHAWK! at work, so I can get even better pricing. Currently in the lead. (Thanks for the suggestion zero7one.)

A new contender:
    http://www.511tactical.com/All-Produ...yote-Boot.html
    Thoughts on 5.11 boots? I've never heard people talk about their footwear.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Concerning work boots, as an EMT, I go thru a pair of work boots a year. My last two pairs of boots have been Bates side zips from Academy, but I think I'm gonna try to find a pair of Blackhawks next time around. The Bates are good boots for the 70 bucks I paid for them, but I think I might look around a little more next go-round

I have a pair of Wolverine lace-ups that are about 10 years old and have been re-soled that are in decent shape, the leather hasn't stretched much. I also have a pair of Red-Wing slip-ons that seem to be a little more prone to stretching. They both have Vibram soles and are pretty comfortable for a guy like me who has a high arch.

I have a pair of Danner RAT Hot weathers arriving today. I purchased them from an Ebay seller who got them from the Danner Outlet store. They have extremely small blems, so for $210 less than MSRP, I think it's a great deal. They're meant to get dirty anyhow right?

Good Luck, it sounds like you have a beast-like effect on boots. Keep us posted, I'd love to hear about your upcoming torture tests. :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Straying a bit off topic, but if you get down to the Portland area, make a trip to the Danner Factory Store. I've picked up a couple pair of seconds, and the blems are just about unnoticeable, but the savings are substantial.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Straying a bit off topic, but if you get down to the Portland area, make a trip to the Danner Factory Store. I've picked up a couple pair of seconds, and the blems are just about unnoticeable, but the savings are substantial.
    That's convenient, I'll just pick up a pair the next time I'm at an Occupy protest there.

Just kidding. The factory seconds that are being sold on eBay are very appealing, though. Blems don't bother me- they'll definitely have blems once I get a hold of them.

Edit: Ordered a pair of Danner RATS #15670X off of eBay. Blems. $175 shipped. No steel toe, Vibram soles, USA made, and reasonably priced. Recraftable. Only downside is no GORE-TEX, but they'll probably dry fast anyway if they get wet.

I might also order a pair of 5.11 Taclite 8" Coyote Boots through my work. Won't hurt to have a second pair.
    Last edited by lamarbrog; 4 February 2012 at 10:49.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been wearing those Danner RAT Hots all day, and they are awesome. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

It sucks that I have to put on my old beat-up Bates to go to work tomorrow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Rocky S2V are the ost comfortable boots I have ever worn. Worn ever day for about the last two years and no apparent wear. They have started cutting boot laces on one boot, thats troubling. I may replace them because of just that.