Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need New Boots

Downloads
    Uploads
    I finally found the receipt for the Vandals. I sent them back to Danner and they sent me a brand new pair no questions asked. We'll see how they hold up.

The RAT boots wore a LOT for that first month or so, but have since sort of stabilized. I am a bit disappointed in that, but at least they are functional. These are probably the most breathable boots I have ever worn. (Mine are the no-Goretex version).

A couple days ago I ordered another pair from the website where Danner sells their seconds. They're comfortable, effective boots- even if they do like like they're falling to pieces.
    -lamarbrog

I sold my Browning High Power because it is a heavy, low-capacity, hammer-biting, magazine disconnecting, stiff manual safetied artifact with uncommon magazines, and it still holds the honored place of being my least favorite pistol I have ever owned.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The RAT boots wore a LOT for that first month or so, but have since sort of stabilized. I am a bit disappointed in that, but at least they are functional. These are probably the most breathable boots I have ever worn. (Mine are the no-Goretex version).
    It's interesting that Danner and Bates were both awarded the contract for the USMC RAT boots. I picked up a blem pair of the Bates version for about $54 and they are okay, but the Danners looked to be the better boot. I needed a pair to beat up at the range so I can save my duty boots.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    It's interesting that Danner and Bates were both awarded the contract for the USMC RAT boots. I picked up a blem pair of the Bates version for about $54 and they are okay, but the Danners looked to be the better boot. I needed a pair to beat up at the range so I can save my duty boots.
    It doesn't surprise me. I'm quickly becoming convinced that the only way to get boots of acceptable quality would be to have them custom made by someone who really knows what they are doing. It's cost prohibitive.

I'm just going to start buying whatever boots I can get cheap that are a reasonably well-respected brand. I don't think paying more gets you a better product when it comes to footwear (after a certain point, obviously). Get cheap ones, when they fall apart in two months, get a new pair.
    -lamarbrog

I sold my Browning High Power because it is a heavy, low-capacity, hammer-biting, magazine disconnecting, stiff manual safetied artifact with uncommon magazines, and it still holds the honored place of being my least favorite pistol I have ever owned.

Downloads
    Uploads
    just got a pair of saloman quest 4d gtx. the best boot i have ever owned

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by h0use View Post
    just got a pair of saloman quest 4d gtx. the best boot i have ever owned
    That mirrors my experience too. I have had the Salomon Quest 4D GTX boots for several months now and they are excellent.

I had a recommendation to try the Salomon boots after being dissatisfied with Danner, Vasque, Merrel etc and after trying, not only their boots, but their trail running shoes and mid height boots I am sold on their quality and value.
    Last edited by Cameron; 28 December 2012 at 18:34.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow, this thread is still going... guess it's time for an update.

I still have my Danner RAT boots. After the excessive wear they showed in the first two weeks- they actually haven't gotten substantially worse. Most of the wear that has become evident since that first few weeks is just cosmetic. The soles have gotten a good bit thinner- but I spend every day walking around on a concrete floor, so that's no surprise. No stitches breaking to speak of or further unraveling of any fabric. I ordered a second pair as a backup.

I recently ordered a pair of the non-Goretex Kinetic boots made by Danner. I've worn them for about a week now and am impressed with their comfort. They are imported, made in Vietnam so I hope they don't come apart quickly. I don't believe they can be recrafted. I'm really just breaking them in, and will probably return to my first pair of RAT boots after that and put these in back stock. Very comfortable, though, and light- they might get pulled out if I go on any longer duration backpacking trips. My only complaint so far is the color- they're practically white.
    -lamarbrog

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know this is an old thread but I thought id give you all a update on the Blackhawk boots - I finally wore them out and had to order a new set of boots. My feet started hurting(specifically my arches) a couple of days ago which made me really look at the boots. The souls are pretty much worn all the way down and the support is gone. I think I have had them since August of 2011 and they have taken a beating. I did put an insole in them which helped a lot. Stitchihng held up and so did the insulation. Kept me warm in the winter. They were one of the most comfortable pair of boots that I have owned...now I need a new pair! i ordered a pair of New Balance Bushmaster 6 Inch Black Boot. I believe New Balance bought out OTB. I did not go waterproof this time due to the fact of my assignment is mostly indoors. So, I will need to order a set of waterproof boots..

All and all..i got my money out of them..so thumbs up on these boots..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Anyone try SWAT boots? I've been thinking about getting a pair of the side zip ones.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Been wearing boots for over 35 years. I'm sure there are custom boots and mfg's that we have never heard of and of exreme quality. However, I have to say that I have never been disappointed with any Danner boots I have purchased. I have actually re-soled a few. I just picked up a pair of 453 gtx boots and am completed satisfied.
    Boots are like trailers, seems like you need a more than one to suit different applications. One rarely covers all.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Anyone have a decent recommendation on a low cut boot? During the summer months I like to wear "low - tops" instead of a full size boot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Anyone have a decent recommendation on a low cut boot? During the summer months I like to wear "low - tops" instead of a full size boot.
    Check out the 453's i mentioned above, they are low. I heard the Merrills are good too, and a little less money.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Of course as a woman "need new boots" caught my eye. :) I'll check with my husband to see what he recommends and post it in here later.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Bree View Post
    Of course as a woman "need new boots" caught my eye. :) I'll check with my husband to see what he recommends and post it in here later.
    Great first post!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I thought this posted earlier, but I guess not.. so trying again..

I got excited seeing "need new boots" - as I am a woman! A woman married to a doomsday preparer! lol Learning a lot, but don't know about boots. Not these kind anyway. :) I'll ask him and post again soon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have Lowa Renegades that I hike every week with they are comfortable, light, and never got a blister in them, however they squeak a lot. I've been eying Salewa MTN trainiers because of the casual look but can't find a good review on them.