Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question NFA SBR Process - 6 months?

I recently submitted a Form 1 to build a short-barrel rifle. After a couple months I called the BATFE to verify receipt, and asked for an ETA. They claim it will take 6 months to get my paperwork back.

Naturally they cashed my check right away ...

Of course you have to be patient with this sort of thing, but I'm curious:

What is your experience with Form 1 (SBR) applications? Are they taking the full 6 months they're allowed?

Downloads
    Uploads
    There was a thread on this IIRC. Not explicitly on the SBR process but a few members had made comments and it turned into a bit of a tracking thread for NFA paperwork timelines. I know my Form 1 took about 4 or 5 months FWIW.
    Hatter

Took a little hiatus... good to be back.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow. I submitted a Form 1 and 4 on March 16, 2011. The Form 1 was back in 61 days and the Form 4 was back in 100.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've never had a Form 1 go longer than 3 months, but rumor has it that within the last year or so the processing times have gone way up.

NFATracker.com has changed their reporting to just the last 6 months of data. You might find it useful to sort through http://www.nfatracker.com/reports.aspx

Downloads
    Uploads
    I sent my Form 1 in the beginning of July and received back beginning of December

Downloads
    Uploads
    My most recent stamp took just over 5 months. The previous form 1's were around 90 days.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the info. I'll check out that site.

Downloads
    Uploads
    my form 1 for my sbr was pending as of 10-29-11. i received my stamp 4-5-12 , 5 months not bad. what else can you do, be patient.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I finally got my tax stamps. I submitted 2 Form 1s exactly 7 months ago. At around 6 months I received a letter indicating they wanted "proof of Articles of Incorporation". These articles are publicly available on our Secretary of State website for any company in the state. I'm not sure why they couldn't just look that up themselves; it takes about 30 seconds. Undaunted, I printed out the Articles and sent them back via Certified Mail. At first I was upset thinking this would reset the clock and take another 6 months, but when I called a helpful secretary told me that I would not "lose my place in line". Sure enough, another month later I received my 2 tax stamps.

So yeah, over a half a year and $400 later I can finally make my SBRs. What a great use of taxpayer resources!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not trying to start a "political" thread here, but my advice would, if you have plans for a build and need a stamp, that you get it in as soon as possible. I believe that the outcome of the election, if it goes a certain way, will bring back all previous bans, and a complete stop to issuing NFA stamps for anything. Again, not trying to make a political statement, but just hedging my bets. I've got all the NFA guns I'll ever need. That's part of the reason that my last, and possibly final build, was founded on a mid length, unsuppresed general purpose rifle. Also, I've been buying more 30 round mags than I have been stocks. If I'm proven wrong, no harm no foul, I'll just have a bunch of extra magpul 30 rd. mags.....guess you can't have too many...huh?

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 1 July 2012 at 19:01.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Not trying to start a "political" thread here, but my advice would, if you have plans for a build and need a stamp, that you get it in as soon as possible. I believe that the outcome of the election, if it goes a certain way, will bring back all previous bans, and a complete stop to issuing NFA stamps for anything.
    If it were to reach that level, I'd quit asking a corrupt government permission to be free. Kinda like during the old Assault Weapons Ban... I completely ignored that nonsense.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Form 1 mailed on March 5. Approved on September 6. Received form back on September 15.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got 4 months into my current Form 1 with no end in sight. I thought about the election posing issues with the ATF but so far, nothing new has happened. I do however, think this is temporary and another ban or outright outlawing certain types/firearms is in the works. While I hope not... in not much of an optimist.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I submitted mine last August, so I am hoping for some word here February or March. My buddy sent his in around June/July, and just last week got a phone call about them wanting the rest of his trust (I sent all of mine in, he must have just sent his certificate in or something), so it looks like 7 months is about the number for the moment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just got my Form 1 approved last week.

Sent it in middle of July 2012.
    Check cashed end of July 2012.
    Paper entered into system beginning of August 2012.
    Stamp received middle of January 2013.

It was 1 week over the 6 month mark. The clock started when they enter your paperwork into the system.