Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    15 months? Jesus.

At what point does this become a conspiracy to kill the NFA market?
    We talked about this at work. And the process of CPL is about the same. You can submit your CPL paperwork and we here have 45 days to get an answer but what they didn't tell you is 45 days from when they meet in it not the submission of the paper work. It will get approved at the meeting but they still sit on it for 43 days before you hear if you are approve or not.

I understand the ATF is undermanned but 15 months to process paperwork what I'm thinking is more of "we got your money we are going to make you wait as long as possible before you get your stamp"

I will be filing for a stamp soon. And I'm sure by the time it clears I will most likely forgot I applied for it and it will be like Christmas when it comes
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Computalotapus View Post
    I will be filing for a stamp soon. And I'm sure by the time it clears I will most likely forgot I applied for it and it will be like Christmas when it comes
    Hah that is the only good part about this. Any day now could be Christmas!

However, they'll probably push it out to 5 years by the time you get your paperwork in ...

Downloads
    Uploads

I understand the ATF is undermanned but 15 months to process paperwork what I'm thinking is more of "we got your money we are going to make you wait as long as possible before you get your stamp"
    From a bureaucratic/GS worker standpoint, this just doesn't make sense. They don't care about your money because they don't see it and there is no incentive to make things faster OR slower. The worker bee at the desk is just trying to move paperwork from the IN basket to the OUT basket. I genuinely believe the NFA examiners are on our side...or at least on neutral ground. They're just trying to stop the never-ending siege of paper.

The much bigger question is why does the process outside of the NFA branch take so long? If you run a NICS on me and I've already submitted multiple NFA forms in the past, why does it still take the same amount of time to check me out? From my understanding, this is out of the NFA's hands and goes to the FBI (someone correct me if I'm wrong). If you've checked me multiple times already and I don't have a hit on the NICS, just give me my weapon. I know, I'm preaching to the choir.

Interestingly, NFA Tracker is telling me I should have received my suppressor paperwork by now. It will be interesting to see if it continues to say that or if, after another month or so, the data starts to show that there are delays. With any luck, maybe I'll have it for Christmas when I go home. It will have been 357 days at that point.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Called the other day, and confirmed... I was told 15 months from the date it goes pending.

Maybe I'll get to shoot my Surefire 762 Mini sometime in 2015.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Crazy talk...but I'm gonna submit my paperwork anyways. Do I need to resubmit for every suppressor I want to purchase?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Crazy talk...but I'm gonna submit my paperwork anyways. Do I need to resubmit for every suppressor I want to purchase?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Every suppressor will require a separate Form 4/tax stamp/application/CLEO sign off (if you go that route)

Basically, it's a pain in the ass. How about we just get cans over the counter after the NCIC check. I'll be happy to fork over Uncle Sam's $200 cut then.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    From a bureaucratic/GS worker standpoint, this just doesn't make sense. They don't care about your money because they don't see it and there is no incentive to make things faster OR slower. The worker bee at the desk is just trying to move paperwork from the IN basket to the OUT basket. I genuinely believe the NFA examiners are on our side...or at least on neutral ground. They're just trying to stop the never-ending siege of paper.

The much bigger question is why does the process outside of the NFA branch take so long? If you run a NICS on me and I've already submitted multiple NFA forms in the past, why does it still take the same amount of time to check me out? From my understanding, this is out of the NFA's hands and goes to the FBI (someone correct me if I'm wrong). If you've checked me multiple times already and I don't have a hit on the NICS, just give me my weapon. I know, I'm preaching to the choir.

Interestingly, NFA Tracker is telling me I should have received my suppressor paperwork by now. It will be interesting to see if it continues to say that or if, after another month or so, the data starts to show that there are delays. With any luck, maybe I'll have it for Christmas when I go home. It will have been 357 days at that point.
    The individual paper-pusher may or may be on "our side", but his bosses, bosses' bosses, and on up answer to people with an agenda.

As you point out, in 2013 it is asinine that this process continues in the exact same way as it has for nearly 100 years now. But then, we are talking about the same govt that can't get the healthcare website working and that's something they WANT to do. Think about what a disaster it would be if it was something they had an interest in blocking?
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    It would make a lot of sense to do that for suppressors and SBRs and let the dealer sell the Federal stamp, as well as post offices, or even removing those weapons from the NFA altogether. Unfortunately, getting rid of the extended background check, (photo, LEO sign off, and fingerprints) would require a legislative change to the NFA. I don't see any congressional movement likely that would have the appearance of making it easier to legally obtain these weapons.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The individual paper-pusher may or may be on "our side", but his bosses, bosses' bosses, and on up answer to people with an agenda.
    A fair point. I just try to temper my frustration and direct it towards the right direction, and blaming the individual examiner isn't where the problem lies. As you said, it's bigger than that.

Quote Originally Posted by UWone77
    Maybe I'll get to shoot my Surefire 762 Mini sometime in 2015.
    I'm just hoping they still have one in stock when I go home for Xmas...and I can get the same price you did. I figure I might as well start the process then since it will be a while. Much easier than trying to do it through Silencer Shop and adding another period for the Form 3.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    A fair point. I just try to temper my frustration and direct it towards the right direction, and blaming the individual examiner isn't where the problem lies. As you said, it's bigger than that.

I'm just hoping they still have one in stock when I go home for Xmas...and I can get the same price you did. I figure I might as well start the process then since it will be a while. Much easier than trying to do it through Silencer Shop and adding another period for the Form 3.
    Silencer Shop did have a good deal on the SOCOM Mini $1181! http://www.silencershop.com/shop/surefire-socom762-mini

I'm pretty satisfied with the guys at Gun Gallery though. They responded very quickly and didn't hesitate to work with me on the price. After I gave them my FFL's point of contact, the Form 3 paperwork was already handled before I even contacted my FFL to confirm they were in contact with them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's good to hear. Hopefully they'll be as proactive with someone there in person trying to get the same thing (and having to pay state tax)...assuming they have one in stock.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Finally got a hold of my FFL back home and he said he had my Form 4 with an August date on the stamp. Hurray. Sounds like it showed up a week or two after I was there on leave. Oh well.

That was January to August. It will be interesting to see if the two lowers I submitted in April takes longer than 8 months with the shutdown. I'm pretty sure they will.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just called the NFA the other day, waiting on my Form 1 for a G17 SBR. And I was informed it was approved on October 2nd, 2013. So it appears that it was approved while on furlough. Waiting for them to forward a copy to my new address, since they don't forward mail... Boooooo

Sent it in at the beginning of February, and approved at the beginning of October. So exactly 8 months.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sent in a Form 1 for my Pap M92 SBR this week. I guess ill have it by 2015. fml

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post

I'm pretty satisfied with the guys at Gun Gallery though. They responded very quickly and didn't hesitate to work with me on the price. After I gave them my FFL's point of contact, the Form 3 paperwork was already handled before I even contacted my FFL to confirm they were in contact with them.
    Thanks for the gouge on your deal. I talked to Neil today (after some emails) and ended up grabbing a SOCOM Mini. I'll do the paperwork in a couple of weeks when I go home for Xmas. And then only a month or so left until I'm back to a place where my guns can be as short and/or as quiet as I want. Oh, and Surefire is finally shipping my SR-25 brake! It's like Christmas. Oh, it is!