It shouldn't be a news flash to anyone that Glock pistols are among the most popular sidearms in the law enforcement, military and civilian markets. They are easy to shoot well, durable, reliable, safe and simple to maintain. What's not to like? Despite the various configurations, aftermarket accessories are available to tweak the fit of the Glock.

One such item is the Grip Force Adapter. Per the manufacturer:
The GRIP FORCE ADAPTER :
• CHANGES THE GRIP ANGLE TO IMPROVE THE POINTABILITY OF THE GLOCK
• PROVIDES BETTER CONTROL DURING RAPID FIRING
• UTILIZES AN ENHANCED GRIP TANG WHICH PROVIDES LEVERAGE FOR, AND
PROTECTION TO THE FIRING HAND

The Grip Force Adapter is a simple polymer part that is affixed to the backstrap of the pistol. Installation is accomplished by drifting out the trigger assembly pin with a 3/32" punch, on an unloaded Glock, drifting in the new pin and snapping the grip in place. The new pin is longer to accommodate the grip and also fits a tad more snug in the pistol. The instructions indicate that an emery board can be used to radius the edge of the grip. I initially bypassed this step and found that the part did have an uncomfortably sharp edge. While I would prefer that this issue is addressed in the manufacturing process, it was an easy fix with about one minute of light file work.

Versions of the Grip Force Adapter are available for the Gen 1, 2, 3 and 4 Glock pistols.

A proper grip is mandatory to control the pistol. The grip needs to be established in the holster, so that the grip position does not need to be adjusted during the draw. The hand should be high on the backstrap, as close to the center-line of the bore as possible. This aids in controlling the recoil. However, many of us have found that on the Glock pistols this high grip can create a problem, in that the hand between the thumb and index finger protrudes over the back of the grip and into the path of the slide. As the slide comes back, the underside of the slide contacts the hand and can eventually wear through the skin, causing the famous Glock Slide Bite.

This depicts my grip on a stock Glock 19.

This depicts my grip on a Glock 23 with a Grip Force Adapter in place. Note how the hand is protected from the Grip Force Adapter. In addition to protecting the hand, the adapter slightly alters the grip angle to something closer to that of a 1911, which some claim is the preferred grip angle. Other options for addressing this Glock issue include permanent custom gunsmith modification of the grip. This is typically out of the question on a department issued weapon.

I installed the adapter on a Gen 2 Glock 23. I've had a couple range sessions with it and found it to work fairly well. I picked the 23 since the .40 cal round arguably generates more recoil than most rounds. The top portion of the adapter has ridges formed into it, which dug into the hand a bit by the end of each session. It wasn't horribly uncomfortable, just noticeable. I'm guessing that a week long pistol class would have more pronounced results. The lower portion of the adapter is textured in a manor similar to the pattern on the Gen 4 pistols and it provides a secure gripping surface. The beaver tail like extention gives the hand a bit more contact surface as well.

The adapter is about $27 shipped . Usually I'm skeptical of any non-OEM Glock part, but this is one that actually makes sense and works. It doesn't turn your Glock into a recoil-free death ray, but I don't see a downside to this. If you try it and it doesn't work for you, take it off, return it to the stock configuration and move on. I'll be trying one on a Gen 4 Glock 19 later.