Downloads
    Uploads

LE PT Test ideas

Hey guys, my PD wants to implement an annual or even a twice a year PT Test. We don't want to do the standard pushups, situps, 1.5 mile run. We want to do realistic things such as running up stairs, dummy drag, and even some self defense stuff like striking. Anyone here have any examples? We were going to incorporate some shooting, but that is pretty much out for now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you have standards in place currently? If so, what are they? I'm interested in how you are going to deal with injuries, older Officers, detectives, and of course, the admin when it comes to the test.

Its easy to get a PT test going when you involve instructors, younger guys, and some of the guys that live at the gym, but for the rest of the department its a different story. What happens when someone can't pass the new standard, and they've been on the force for 20 years. Is the department willing to let them go and give them a disability if they can do the job, but can't pass the test based on an OJI?

We've kicked around a few ideas in my department, but there are a slew of issues that tend to create real problems.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What about incorporating something similar to the very popular "Warrior Dash" or Spartan Race?
    You tube link : http://www.youtube.com/results?searc....0.7Ve-qxxce8w

Forcing an accelerated heart rate due to climbing objects and running through thick muddy water will test their shooting abilities to the max.

Do you have a PT field that you regularly use or is this something that would need to be set up twice a year?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Stick, we have recently incorporated a workout on duty policy where we are given 1 hour to workout on 3 out of the 4 days. My chief is down with the whole thing and he understands the possibilities of injuries and they will be considered Job Related Injuries, so the officers are covered. My Chief also understands that if guys are in better shape, they will have a better chance of not getting hurt doing stupid things.

The PT test will NOT be mandatory, but there will be incentives, like time off. As far as standards, we don't have any yet. We may just have to start out with something like the Army PT Test, which is based on your age.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Malice View Post
    What about incorporating something similar to the very popular "Warrior Dash" or Spartan Race?
    You tube link : http://www.youtube.com/results?searc....0.7Ve-qxxce8w

Forcing an accelerated heart rate due to climbing objects and running through thick muddy water will test their shooting abilities to the max.

Do you have a PT field that you regularly use or is this something that would need to be set up twice a year?
    One of the guys I work with does the Warrior Dash, Tough Mudder, and the CMC. We are looking for something along those lines, but obviously scaled down to under 5 minutes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If its not mandatory, and is done as an incentive, that makes it a much better deal all the way around. We looked at studies which show working out on duty for 30 minutes (taken instead of two 15 minute break during the shift) saves the department money in injuries and overall health.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    If its not mandatory, and is done as an incentive, that makes it a much better deal all the way around. We looked at studies which show working out on duty for 30 minutes (taken instead of two 15 minute break during the shift) saves the department money in injuries and overall health.
    I completely agree on all accounts.