Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Mega getting out of the monolithic game???

Just read on gear scout Mega was stepping out of the monolithic upper game due to patent issues with LMT... does anyone have any insight on if this is just the quadrail, or the tubular uppers too? 7.62 only, or 5.56 too?

ETA - I have to say this is sad news...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Damn I hope not---waiting on two 5.56 tubular rifle length, and a tubular MA-TEN set. Already have 1 rifle, two mids, and three carbine in the tubular version. Its kind of like the Stag 3G or the Samson Evolution in shape, but you don't have to dick around clocking the frickin barrel nut. Also have the ADAMS ARMS competition piston upper that comes with the custom MEGA tubular MRP. Dumping all my VFG's and going with the AFG's with a thumb wrap around. The smallish tubular OD makes this quite comfortable. Really like the tubulars!!

Kattman from Michigan
    Last edited by kattman; 19 July 2012 at 02:26.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have now received confirmation from a few sources, including a forward of a message from Mega to dealers... they are pulling the plug on their monolithic line... hopefully just for now. I was planning a build or two based on tubulars, so this is very sad news. Mega's were the best in the game IMO

Downloads
    Uploads
    What! Wow Lame on LMT. Have stronger words for them, but I will spare everyone. Just now I will never buy an LMT product after this kind of move.

Downloads
    Uploads
    On a side note, doesn't this create a huge problem to Legion Firearms seeing how they used the Mega Arms Monolithic tube rail exclusively?

Downloads
    Uploads
    More info...

Huge problem for Legion unless they have a big stockpile...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't want to ditz LMT, I have several of their MRP's---BUT---IMHO the MEGA mono stuff is WAY COOLER, especially the tubular. I ordered a couple of mids yesterday just to have them in case of addl bad news.

Kattman from Michigan

Downloads
    Uploads
    Isn't LMT coming out with a brazillian hand guard? Maybe thats why they want to shut down the competition?
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like both companies, so I won't comment on this. When legal stuff like this comes up, I just prefer to let the companies settle it on their own and if it has to go to court, let them deal with it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not sure why I understand the dissing of LMT here. I own one of their monolithic uppers and while I'm not entirely thrilled with it the concept is fantastic. If indeed the idea and intellectual property is owned by LMT you can't fault them for protecting it. Mega has to either stop production or pay the royalties to allow fabrication under the patent. Now, if LMT forced them to stop without allowing them to pay the royalties (if they so choose to do so) I can see where it would leave for disgruntled customers of LMT/Mega.
    Hatter

Took a little hiatus... good to be back.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
    I'm not sure why I understand the dissing of LMT here. I own one of their monolithic uppers and while I'm not entirely thrilled with it the concept is fantastic. If indeed the idea and intellectual property is owned by LMT you can't fault them for protecting it. Mega has to either stop production or pay the royalties to allow fabrication under the patent. Now, if LMT forced them to stop without allowing them to pay the royalties (if they so choose to do so) I can see where it would leave for disgruntled customers of LMT/Mega.
    For myself...

The attachment systems are different. If the very fact that it is monolithic is patentable then I think it's horseshit. So within that context I perceive this as one company with greater legal and financial resources bullying another into stopping production, not because right & wrong but because they want to quash a competitor with a potentially better product.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    For myself...

The attachment systems are different. If the very fact that it is monolithic is patentable then I think it's horseshit. So within that context I perceive this as one company with greater legal and financial resources bullying another into stopping production, not because right & wrong but because they want to quash a competitor with a potentially better product.
    That's why I don't like to discuss these things. We don't know all of the details and nothing makes sense. Doesn't Armalite make a Monolithic Upper?

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's really unfortunate when a great product has to be taken off the market for a patent that is so broad as monolithic upper. Just my .02

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hwang View Post
    It's really unfortunate when a great product has to be taken off the market for a patent that is so broad as monolithic upper. Just my .02
    Mr. Hwang... are you permitted to sell remaining stock?
    www.logicalprepper.com
    "The most important thing about being prepared for a crisis is physical and mental fitness. It matters not how many weapons and ammo you have, or how much food you have hidden away, or what your bushcraft skills are. If you can't lug your gear to get the hell out of Dodge or if you are prone to panic... you might as well just stay there in front of the T.V. munching cheese doodles while the world falls apart." The Logical Prepper

Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy

I haven't been able to find a MaTen mono upper anywhere... I've found a few AR15 MTS's, and picked up a tubular mid (wanted tubular rifle, but can't find them either, only quad rails)... fortunately, prices didn't jump upon the announcement.

Since LMT got the patent, it's their IP, so they can do as they wish (if they should have been issued one is a different discussion)... but if I read the article correctly, Mega approached LMT about licensing, but got no response, which I think is pretty crappy.