Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hwang View Post
    It's really unfortunate when a great product has to be taken off the market for a patent that is so broad as monolithic upper. Just my .02
    Mr. Hwang... are you permitted to sell remaining stock?
    www.logicalprepper.com
    "The most important thing about being prepared for a crisis is physical and mental fitness. It matters not how many weapons and ammo you have, or how much food you have hidden away, or what your bushcraft skills are. If you can't lug your gear to get the hell out of Dodge or if you are prone to panic... you might as well just stay there in front of the T.V. munching cheese doodles while the world falls apart." The Logical Prepper

Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy

I haven't been able to find a MaTen mono upper anywhere... I've found a few AR15 MTS's, and picked up a tubular mid (wanted tubular rifle, but can't find them either, only quad rails)... fortunately, prices didn't jump upon the announcement.

Since LMT got the patent, it's their IP, so they can do as they wish (if they should have been issued one is a different discussion)... but if I read the article correctly, Mega approached LMT about licensing, but got no response, which I think is pretty crappy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Weird, I wonder why LMT never went after Vltor.

Maybe because the VIS bottom rail comes off?

I always thought the MRP was a great concept, and would probably own one if they accepted standard barrels.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hwang View Post
    It's really unfortunate when a great product has to be taken off the market for a patent that is so broad as monolithic upper. Just my .02
    Exactly....imagine if one company was granted the patent for "semi-automatic pistol" and not a single other company was allowed to produce a semi-auto pistol.

I don't know enough about patent law to say with any real authority, but I agree with everyone else who has commented that it seems like the Mega design (especially with regards to barrel installation) is different enough from LMT's to not infringe on their patent.

As Stickman inferred though, Mega (a smaller company) may have determined that it was going to be too expensive to fight the challenge of LMT (a larger company). This often happens in the LEO world of civil law suits. You find many jurisdictions that pay out a settlement when someone sues even when they know the LEO did nothing wrong simply because it costs less to settle than to fight the law suit in court.

(We need major tort reform in this country for this reason and many, many others...but that's a discussion for another place and time.)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AR-10 View Post
    Weird, I wonder why LMT never went after Vltor.

Maybe because the VIS bottom rail comes off?

I always thought the MRP was a great concept, and would probably own one if they accepted standard barrels.
    The Vltor is not a true Monolithic Upper. It is called a Polylithic Upper.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not only does Armalite make a monolithic, so does Colt. The 6940 is a monolithic style upper. I'd like to see LMTs specific complaint as well as their cease and desist. If the nature of the complaint is simply a monolithic one piece upper, then LMT should also be going after Armalite and Colt. Colt is certainly larger, and I would guess Armalite is too. I'm all in favor of protecting your products, but I'm not into bullying the competition because you can.
    Todd
    I'm young with limited experience... so my thoughts are worth 'bout a quarter of what you paid - and I don't give out refunds.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like Rainier Arms might have a few AR rifle length quads left, a little bit of a price bump overnight, but such is capitalism...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhill View Post
    Looks like Rainier Arms might have a few AR rifle length quads left, a little bit of a price bump overnight, but such is capitalism...

A true capitalistic pig would have put them on an auction site...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhill View Post
    I haven't been able to find a MaTen mono upper anywhere... I've found a few AR15 MTS's, and picked up a tubular mid (wanted tubular rifle, but can't find them either, only quad rails)... fortunately, prices didn't jump upon the announcement.

Since LMT got the patent, it's their IP, so they can do as they wish (if they should have been issued one is a different discussion)... but if I read the article correctly, Mega approached LMT about licensing, but got no response, which I think is pretty crappy.
    Looks like AIM Surplus has a few Maten sets left.
    www.logicalprepper.com
    "The most important thing about being prepared for a crisis is physical and mental fitness. It matters not how many weapons and ammo you have, or how much food you have hidden away, or what your bushcraft skills are. If you can't lug your gear to get the hell out of Dodge or if you are prone to panic... you might as well just stay there in front of the T.V. munching cheese doodles while the world falls apart." The Logical Prepper

Downloads
    Uploads
    President - Unity Tactical - Innovative. Adaptive. Decisive.
    www.UnityTactical.com
    www.Facebook.com/UnityTacticalLLC

What if my greatest disappointments
    Or the aching of this life
    Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy