Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is the response from Mike from Colt. The Auto Sear controls the timing, not the cycling, as I incorrectly wrote before. Obviously, the Auto Sear and the M16 Carrier go hand in hand.

The purpose of the auto sear is to keep the hammer cocked during full auto fire,* until the bolt is locked into battery and ready to fire to cartridge.* Remember the "J. Geils effect" I was referring to?**Because of the chamber pressure (52,000 psi) if the M16 fires out of battery: it will blow your face off; (the title of one of*J. Geils'*albums in the early 70's).* Due to the high cyclic rate of fire,* the M16 has a greater*opportunity to fire out of battery on full auto.**The auto sear has nothing to do with the rate of fire of the M16.* The auto sear only works when it is on automatic.** It is a*timing and safety device*device:* it times the hammer to drop (automatically) after the bolt is in battery and it does so safely so your face is not blow off (too much) while firing* a high cyclic fire weapon.** Bill Murray would call it a helpful safety device!
    Remember the disconnector only works in semi;* the disconnector MAKES semi auto fire.
    Bypassing the disconnector makes full auto fire.*
    The auto sear only works in (full) auto; it makes full auto safely, it keeps it from firing out of battery and you losing your head over the affair!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Its really a non-issue as far as the weight is concerned. Just go look at all the folks who run light-weight BCG's and low mass buffers in competition. With or without an adjustable gas block, these guns run just fine. For them, they want fast lock times to ensure that they won't outpace the gun to make sure that shot to shot time is minimized.

As far the whole M16 vs AR BCG, as every one else has said, a heavier buffer would "fix" any issues that might come up. If extraction issues are your concern, then I would make sure to look under the extractor of your bolt and make sure that is has the small (typically) black little plunger inside of the spring, this will increase the spring tension and increase extraction. Even then, if your weapon fails to rip the brass from the chamber take it to a gun shop and ask them to drop gauges in the chamber. BCG Speed has less to do with extraction, then proper chamber specs and extractor tension.

I would stay away from different spring weights. Just my opinion

Downloads
    Uploads
    It came with black insert, factory LMT spring (I think five coil) AND crane o-ring. I will probably remove the o-ring unless I have problems, since gun is mid-length. Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo_Santos View Post
    Here is the response from Mike from Colt. The Auto Sear controls the timing, not the cycling, as I incorrectly wrote before. Obviously, the Auto Sear and the M16 Carrier go hand in hand.
    I don't work for Colt but I did stay at the Holiday Inn Express last night...

It's mechanically impossible for an M16 to fire out of battery as a result of a miss timed hammer strike. The firing pin isn't long enough to break the plane of the breach face until the bolt is locked.