Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Latest issue of RECOIL magazine had an interesting statement regarding the MP7A1....

I like RECOIL and have gotten all of their publications so far, but I have to take umbrage with this statement. To make the assumption that civilians should not be allowed to own a piece of military hardware (within reason, even I don't think civilians don't need gear like a Mk.19) just because they have no "sporting" application seems very closed minded.

Credit, where credit is due, I stole this from a post brought to my attention by one the pages I follow on Facebook.

Link to Discussion

Reed Knight III even chimed in on this one.

I bring it here to pose the question, do you think that just because a company makes a weapon deemed "For Mil/LEO use only" that it should completely wright off its availability to the civilian market?

There was a time when the FN P90 and Five-Seven pistol were said to be military only weapons, but FN eventually saw fit to allow its civilian markets to get them.

By the way, I am sorry if this is in the wrong section, I had debated putting this here or the NFA/Special Weapons section and chose here in the end. I apologize in advance for any wrong doings
    Last edited by landshark; 9 September 2012 at 14:28. Reason: I'm a idiot...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I concur. I love Recoil mag, but have to disagree with their statement.

Sent using TapaTalk app.
    I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six. - Anonymous

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know I'm done with them unless that editor gets fired. I liked the look and the layout, but them not doing hard-copy subscriptions was weird, and this is kind of like the straw bale that smashed the camel's back to me. Spouting anti-gun rhetoric at me is not what I want to read in a gun rag.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Its funny how the firearm community can't get along with each other. While Jerry Tsai obviously wrote something which the vast majority of "us" (meaning this board and most AR15 owners) don't agree with, it doesn't change that the larger population of firearm owners probably agrees with him.

Take the NRA for instance, do they represent the majority of AR15 owners? I would say no, they lend themselves towards the much more popular hunter and similar firearm owners. Does that make the NRA a "bad" or useless organization? Some people will say yes, and have pulled their membership because of the NRA views. I'll dissent, and say that without the NRA we most likely would have lost our 2nd Amendment rights a long time ago.

I feel it is very easy to jump on the internet with pitchfork in hand, and foam at the mouth while screaming for blood and for Jerry Tsai to be burned at the stake of his ISP or printing press. In doing so, I think we overlook the 99.99% of what the magazine does, as well as the interest and support this new magazine gains in new firearm owners.

I have no doubt my wife and friends don't appreciate everything I do or say, thankfully they look at me as a larger picture than just some of my dumb comments. I'll look at Jerry Tsai in the same way at this point, a good guy who made a dumb comment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Stick, you are absolutely right. I was never condemning the magazine as a whole, just the statement made. It seems to me that the guys over at RECOIL new to the whole firearms industry, but that's just my take on it. Its not like there has never been a sensational comment made by self-labeled "pro-gun" supporters. For what its worth I will still be buying their rag and enjoying it as well, with just maybe a small grain of salt.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't see anything wrong with what was written. I think the wording could have been better, and he should have said that the truth is that the caliber is useless for civilian use, not that civilians aren't worthy of it

Honestly, I have no desire to go out and buy anything with that caliber. I wouldn't even want it for LE use.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, but the same argument could be made for the 5.7x28mm. In the end, you're right Paulo, it was poorly worded. If I'm the one sitting down and writing up that article I would have gone along the lines that, while it is a shame that the civilian market is unable to get their hands on it, the reasoning behind it is sound.

I wonder what they will do from here forward. RECOIL made a statement on the FB post I linked in the OP, but it seemed to do little to clam the hate heading their way. Predator Intelligence had a great comment on it: "Oh, how quickly they eat their own...."
    Last edited by landshark; 9 September 2012 at 14:27. Reason: I'm a idiot...
    "the LandShark is considered the cleverest of all sharks...It is capable of disguising its voice, and generally preys on young, single women." - Belushi

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by landshark View Post

I wonder what they will do from here forward. RECOIL made a statement on the FB post I linked in the OP, but it seemed to do little to clam the hate heading their way. Predator Intelligence had a great comment on it: "Oh, how quickly they eat their own...."

They will have to ride it out, not much else to do at this point. When you read the article, that portion doesn't fit, and is almost like an afterthought.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Take the NRA for instance, do they represent the majority of AR15 owners? I would say no, they lend themselves towards the much more popular hunter and similar firearm owners. Does that make the NRA a "bad" or useless organization? Some people will say yes, and have pulled their membership because of the NRA views. I'll dissent, and say that without the NRA we most likely would have lost our 2nd Amendment rights a long time ago.
    Your statement is the reason I never joined an organization like the NRA. Everyone has become so defensive of only those rights (or the aspects of certain rights) that appeal/apply to them that it makes the theft of rights that much simpler by those who wish to take them. I enjoy weapons that have a "sporting/hunting" application just as much as I enjoy those that do not. Is my right to possess a Remington 700 seriously that much more at risk or that much more inalienable than my right to own an AR-15? Funny, because I thought "they" wanted to make it to where I couldn't own either.
    C. Smith

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by csmith View Post
    Everyone has become so defensive of only those rights (or the aspects of certain rights) that appeal/apply to them that it makes the theft of rights that much simpler by those who wish to take them.
    I totally agree. All of the gun owners who have now launched a campaign against RECOIL magazine and its advertisers are doing more harm than anything Jerry Tsai could have ever done had he been the anti-gun devil himself.

The words of Patrick Henry come back now, louder and more meaningful than ever. "Let us trust God, and our better judgment to set us right hereafter. United we stand, divided we fall. Let us not split into factions which must destroy that union upon which our existence hangs.”

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I totally agree. All of the gun owners who have now launched a campaign against RECOIL magazine and its advertisers are doing more harm than anything Jerry Tsai could have ever done had he been the anti-gun devil himself.

The words of Patrick Henry come back now, louder and more meaningful than ever. "Let us trust God, and our better judgment to set us right hereafter. United we stand, divided we fall. Let us not split into factions which must destroy that union upon which our existence hangs.”
    I've been seeing that division for years already. Ever since Obama became President I've seen the anti police/police hatred on so many gun forums grow to the point that I am no longer active on the majority of the gun sites that I used to post on. I always thought right wing and police went hand in hand. Apparently I missed something. In tough times like today where our gun rights are being threatened everyday, the last thing we need is the us vs them, or in this case, us vs us mentality. I've read the Facebook Recoil comments and the over the top replies are so embarrassing and just make us gun owners sound psychotic and just adds more fuel to the fire.

Downloads
    Uploads
    RECOIL's response. For what its worth I think that it is a sincere apology. Like I said, I will stop reading their mag, this was just a big SNAFU and the part of one person.
    "the LandShark is considered the cleverest of all sharks...It is capable of disguising its voice, and generally preys on young, single women." - Belushi

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by landshark View Post
    RECOIL's response. For what its worth I think that it is a sincere apology. Like I said, I will stop reading their mag, this was just a big SNAFU and the part of one person.

I was woken up several times this morning from manufacturers calling me about this. They all agreed the comments Jerry made sounded exactly like HK propaganda.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Its interesting to see some of the big names that have dropped their advertising, Silencerco, ITS Tactical, and now......Magpul Industries Corp.

Also Panteao Productions (No link, found out through an e-mail), Haley Strategic, and Mega Arms
    Last edited by landshark; 10 September 2012 at 17:02. Reason: The hits just keep on coming...

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's a sad deal because I really liked Recoil mag. I'm not gonna miss the $10 newsstand price, though.

Sent using TapaTalk app.
    I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six. - Anonymous