Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Finally I am able to post pictures. Thank you Eric for the heads up about photobucket. I hope these pics help with some of the confusion or at least reinforce the information I have been giving. Like I've said before, it's a rifle buffer with a rifle spring, and to the best of my knowledge that is a carbine receiver extension or am I wrong about that? I would go the distance and remove the butt stock from the receiver extension, but as i stated in my original post I live in MA and this rifle has been "massified" so the stock is pinned and I don't want to battle with that to get the pin out. So I'd rather just leave that alone. If the final conclusion about the parts can be finalized, (rifle action spring, rifle buffer, and carbine receiver extension) then I can say with confidence that my rifle cycles flawlessly when it apparently shouldn't (despite the current issues I am having with it). Since now I can post pictures, if there are any other pictures that anyone would like to see that may help with diagnosing the issue just let me know. When I make it out to the range, I will try to take pictures of any malfunctions I experience (hopefully there will be none).

Downloads
    Uploads
    That is bizarre, those are rifle buffer parts and you have a carbine receiver extension.

You said you replaced the rifle buffer with a carbine buffer, where is that buffer and did you also replace the spring?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes I bought a carbine buffer. No I did not replace the spring.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by masshole42 View Post
    Yes I bought a carbine buffer. No I did not replace the spring.

You need a carbine spring and carbine buffer in a carbine receiver extension (buffer tube). Get a new spring and get rid of your aggravation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I did buy a carbine spring as well as a H buffer. When they come in I will get out to the range.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by AR-10 View Post
    That is bizarre, those are rifle buffer parts and you have a carbine receiver extension.

You said you replaced the rifle buffer with a carbine buffer, where is that buffer and did you also replace the spring?
    Wow, something new everyday. Bizarre is an understatment. But I'm going to take a wild assed guess here. He bought the gun used. O.K, now the stock is pinned to meet Mass requirements, since the stock is pinned back, do you think a middleman somewhere assumed the lenght of the stock, pinned all the way back, indicated the lenght of the tube and assumed it was the same as a rifle stock and tube? Following my logic here? I honestly don't think I've ever seen this one before, it should be "stickied" to the thread by the mods, just for giggles. (sorry Masshole42) wasn't your screw up, not poking fun at you , but it was someones major screw up. I personally don't see how the thing cycled at all, but I guess it did, somehow. O.K., Masshole, you'll look back and have a good laugh about this, someday, just probably not today.

FT

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is my first AR and yes I bought it used. I had very little experience with this style of firearm so I didn't really know exactly the things to check out before buying it. I saw it was a Bushmaster, (which isn't the best quality AR out there, but good enough quality for my purpose), it was already "massified," and the price was right so I bought it since I've wanted one for awhile now. Took it out to the range soon after with 100rds of PMC Bronze .223 that I bought with it and it shot flawlessly. I had no reason to suspect there was wrong parts in it. The beginning of my research and education on the AR platform rifle didn't start until I started trying different ammo. (ie Tulammo). This was after I put close to 400-500 through it with no malfunctions. So I did research on buffers and springs and that's when I did the couple changes.I realized it had a rifle buffer in it which I found odd, but just went with it since I never had an issue. I never thought to measure the action spring since I had little experience so I was just under the assumption it was the correct one. So yeah...I'm glad I can make some people scratch their head in disbelief, LOL

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is a picture of a rifle buffer in a carbine buffer tube. This is as far back as the BCG will go. Obviously there is no way this will work, and there is no way the OP has a carbine receiver extension. If I were to take a wild ass guess, the OP’s carbine really has a rifle length RE but made to look like a carbine stock.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    If I were to take a wild ass guess, the OP’s carbine really has a rifle length RE but made to look like a carbine stock.
    Simple way to figure that out. masshole42, would you mind looking down your buttstock and commenting on if the tube is actually flush at the end of the stock opening? I'm basically looking for a measurement of the buffer tube.
    Last edited by csmith; 17 September 2012 at 17:14.
    C. Smith

Downloads
    Uploads
    So after all, I believe 5pins has been right all along. I was able to get a rough idea of the length of the tube. I stuck a piece of an arrow into the receiver extension and then marked on the arrow the end of the threads. I then measured the tip of the arrow to the mark and got about 10in. So I'm assuming this a rifle receiver extension? Sorry for the poor quality pictures. I don't have the best lighting in my room. At least you can get the basic idea.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If that is the case then you need to stick with a rifle spring and buffer.

I have never seen an extended carbine receiver extension, but apparently they do exist.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I definitely found out some interesting facts about my rifle. So I guess I'm back to square one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey all, I just wanted to post an update. I was able to locate the cause of the malfunctions and correct it and now my rifle shoots flawlessly like before. It turned out that the gas key was in fact loose the slightest bit. I tightened the screws down and it cycled like a dream. I feel quite stupid for not checking the gas key more closely when it first began malfunctioning. 5pins said it right at the beginning and I failed to take a closer look so my apologizes to dragging out this thread a lot longer than it needed to be. I do want to thank everyone for the help and suggestions. I did find out new information about my rifle, such as it having a rifle receiver extension, that I probably would have not found out. Anyways I just want to thank everyone again for the help and support.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There wouldn't happen to be a brand logo anywhere on the extension, would there? I'm just curious to see a rifle extension made for a carbine.
    C. Smith

Downloads
    Uploads
    From what I could see there isn't one. If there is one covered by the stock I would have no way of knowing since the stock is pinned.