Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

PA Micro Dot w/ Removable Base

Got the mount in today decided to get it mounted up and ready for the range sessions. So far it is a nice little RDS, easy to mount up, brightness dial is easy to adjust even with a gloved hand. Adjustment knobs easy to manipulate as well. More on this as I get a few range session behind it.

Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What? No unboxing pictures?
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Haha I will have a full write up that I will add complete with unboxing and range photos so you don't have to read all the big words :)
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    You F***ers.....

Really, never played with a micro......and this one looks like a good one to start with..maybe..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Unfortunately my mount won't make it here today until after I head off to the range, so it's all on you Comp. I'm TAD this week, as well, so not sure when I'll be able to shoot it. I'm thinking if you do a full on shoot review, I may focus on the differences between the previous gen dots and this one. And then of course shoot it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice pic of the dot, look forward to reading the range report.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice photos, looking forward to full write up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Computalotapus View Post
    Haha I will have a full write up that I will add complete with unboxing and range photos so you don't have to read all the big words :)
    Yeah, I guess I had that coming.. Note to self, quit being a smartass....
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    nice pics looks good
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)

Downloads
    Uploads

From the WEVO T&E Program I was given the chance to review a PA Micro Dot with removable base. My experience with micro dots is very limited. I have used both the Vortex SPARC and the Aimpoint H1. I currently own the Vortex and have used it for well over a year now. It suits my needs for 2-Gun competition and has so far stood up to what I have dished out to it. This is not a torture test product review but just a general use review.

Out of the box the optic is very straight forward. Mounting to a PA co-witness mount I “house zeroed” the optic. Basically using a known good 100yd zero set of iron sights I just lollipop’d the front sight while looking through the rear sight. In the house looking through the optic you really do not see a dot till you reach 4 on the brightness dial. I have found 5 to be the best neutral setting for daylight shooting, 1-2 being for NV settings, 3 still does not even show up for me, maybe it is just my aging eyes.

I have taken this optic to two different range sessions each putting about 250 rounds down range while using the optic. My “house zero” was dead on first day out for me I am roughly a 1.5 MOA shooter @ 100yds (benched and rested) and without having to touch the dials after the initial setup zero that is the exact group size I was putting on targets at the range to confirm zero. Ran multiple move and shoot drills for the first day out. Temperatures around 27 degrees on the first day and I had no issues with the glass fogging. What I did notice was outside the dot looked to be a lot crisper than it does while indoors. Shooting silhouettes at 25, 50, and 75 yards and hanging steel (18”x24”) at 100yds. Rifle and optic ran perfect for me on the first day out.

I treated the rifle like I treat the rest of my rifles. From case to trunk of car to the range, back to trunk of car into the house for a cleaning then back in the case. I have taken the rifle out several times messing with it here and there and I tested the dot crispness again once inside. While indoors the dot appears to have a flare but while outdoors the dot is very crisp, maybe something to do with the lighting?

Back out to the range today for a super cold 22 degrees to work more move and shoot drills. Confirmed zero was still solid and ran drills all day. Again no issues with the glass fogging due to the cold or my labored breathing from running in 2 feet of snow. Today was overcast but with the snow still had to have the brightness on 5 to get a solid visual dot. Both range session was working the rifle and pistol so there was a lot of transitions between the two weapons. The rifle does get knocked around off the body as expected but nothing to write home about.

For the price point the optic is a good buy. It will make for an awesome range plinker or maybe for someone just getting into some light carbine competition style shooting or looking for a budget RDS for a carbine class rifle. The new 2 MOA dot is very crisp outdoors probably better than my SPARC and I would even say on par with the Aimpoint Micro I used side by side on the second range session. I will say I do not like that it does not automatically shut off after an extended period of being on. If I was looking for a RDS for a home defense rifle or something I had to put my life on the line with, I would pick up the Aimpoint, something that turns on automatically when moved and shuts off after a period of no movement. Fiddling with buttons or knobs is not something I want to do in the event of a home invasion. But as a budget RDS it is a solid option for a range plinker, carbine class rifle, or entry level carbine competition optic. I would and probably will pick up the enhanced micro dot if its quality is the same as this one I got to T&E.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice review Comp! I too wonder if the indoor lighting vs natural light is the cause. Like you said sounds a good range gun optic.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i did not know it had NV options that is good to now
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Computalotapus View Post
    I have taken the rifle out several times messing with it here and there and I tested the dot crispness again once inside. While indoors the dot appears to have a flare but while outdoors the dot is very crisp, maybe something to do with the lighting?
    My guess is the issue is two-fold:

1. You're not 16 anymore and you're eyes like to point that out to you. Mine certainly do.
    2. Inside, you're (perhaps unintentionally) paying attention to the dot, but outside, you're focusing on the target. Since it's designed to be used with you focusing on the target, any eye imperfections can be overcome because you're of your focal point.

For the longest time, I've been far-sided but with an astigmatism and I was able to get away without ever wearing glasses. By the time I was 29, I started needing glasses to read at night. Then by 30, I needed them to comfortably read up close. But because of my astigmatism, it has taken forever to train my eyes to relax and let the prescription do it's thing. So much so that even now, I have two prescriptions, one to read with (that's stronger) and one to fly with (that doesn't cause star bursts from point-sources of light...like a LED). When I first started wearing the stronger prescription, I couldn't read/focus on fixed focus reticules (like an ACOG) unless I focused out in the distance. With my weaker prescription, I could read them. The issue wasn't the optic or even my glasses, just how my eye was trying to work against the correction. Now I don't have as much of a problem with the stronger correction, though I still need to use the weaker prescription at night for distance-related things.

Long story, sorry. But I'm guessing that's why you're seeing the difference.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    My guess is the issue is two-fold:

1. You're not 16 anymore and you're eyes like to point that out to you. Mine certainly do.
    2. Inside, you're (perhaps unintentionally) paying attention to the dot, but outside, you're focusing on the target. Since it's designed to be used with you focusing on the target, any eye imperfections can be overcome because you're of your focal point.

For the longest time, I've been far-sided but with an astigmatism and I was able to get away without ever wearing glasses. By the time I was 29, I started needing glasses to read at night. Then by 30, I needed them to comfortably read up close. But because of my astigmatism, it has taken forever to train my eyes to relax and let the prescription do it's thing. So much so that even now, I have two prescriptions, one to read with (that's stronger) and one to fly with (that doesn't cause star bursts from point-sources of light...like a LED). When I first started wearing the stronger prescription, I couldn't read/focus on fixed focus reticules (like an ACOG) unless I focused out in the distance. With my weaker prescription, I could read them. The issue wasn't the optic or even my glasses, just how my eye was trying to work against the correction. Now I don't have as much of a problem with the stronger correction, though I still need to use the weaker prescription at night for distance-related things.

Long story, sorry. But I'm guessing that's why you're seeing the difference.

Man you are mean... you didn't have to remind me of how old I am. Actually I just turned 40 in December, about 4 months before my 40th I started having issues reading things I could normally read. My distance sight was perfect.. and today I was actually calling hits on paper targets today at about 35yds. I can agree with the flare being either my old eyes or the fact that I am focusing on the dot, most likely my eyes. Like I said the dot was really crisp outside, better than the dot in my SPARC that is for sure.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I turn 40 this year and have the same problem with RDS inside. For some reason I find myself focusing on the dot inside. I have to make myself not focus on the dot inside and it's crisp again. Good review Comp!
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa