Downloads
    Uploads

Todd Kramer - Keltec Sub 2000 Review.

Not long ago I picked up a Keltec Sub 2k in a trade. I hadn?t ever thought of purchasing one or really hadn?t thought much about these at all. The deal ended up being really good so I decided to grab it. After getting home and messing with it I found the The Keltec Sub 2000 to be a very interesting little pistol caliber carbine.

I will start this review with a phrase that a lot of you will know from either Military service or just by the nature of what has you interested in WEVO. That phrase is ?High Speed, Low Drag?. It is used all the time to describe various people, occupations or equipment. This phrase does NOT apply to the Sub 2k. A better phrase would be one a friend of mine always uses??Medium Speed, Moderate Drag?. This isn?t a slam at all but just a much more accurate statement describing the Sub 2k and any potential role it may fit into.

The Keltec Sub 2k is a very handy semi-automatic rifle chambered in either 9mm or .40 S&W. They can be had in configurations fitting the most popular pistol magazines to include Glock, Beretta and S&W. Mine happens to be a .40 S&W and takes Glock 23 magazines. I like and dislike this. If I was to buy one of these my first choice would probably have been 9mm just for the lower cost of 9mm and I could use the 33 round magazines for a little more range fun. That said the .40 is a better round for my needs here. These make a nice little gun especially if someone can utilize the same magazines they have for their duty gun or carry pistol.

The most different and notable part of the Keltec is the fact that it can fold in half into a VERY compact and easily carried package. Open the Sub 2k is 30? long and folds down to just 16? long and 7? high. Weight is right over 4 pounds loaded. The most important rule in a gunfight is to have a gun. Everyone always talks about the large guns they have at home but usually opt to carry the gun that is the most easily concealed, carried or comfortable. The Keltec has found itself into a BOB that travels with me any time I get into the truck just because it is so easy to carry. It fits easily into a pack along with medical supplies, road flares and various items to make a delayed stop in Alaska a little more comfortable. I usually don?t ever think about this gun but I do know it is always there. I want to make it clear that I don?t and nor will I ever think of the Sub 2k as a combat style carbine. I liken it more of as a tool that I can use to remove myself from an enemy vs. close with one.

The construction of the Sub 2k is of machined steel and Zytel. The overall feel of the Sub 2k is a little toy like. I am used to plastic guns and don?t mind them at all. The Zytel molding is OK but not on par with Magpul or even my Boy?s Power Rangers but does the job well and if you own one of these it isn?t for the aesthetics. Function is way over form here and this gun functions very well.

The Sub 2k opens by pulling back on a small detent in the buttstock that locks into the front sight post. This is a very simple and positive lock. It is quick and easy to deploy from the folded position. To put the Sub 2k from the open to the folded position one simply pulls down on the trigger guard and folds the rifle in half.

The safety is a pushbutton that blocks the sear and disconnects the trigger bar. I found it easy to engage for both safe and fire. The safety was crisp and very positive.

Trigger pull is a little stiff but not something that will really cause any problems or even bad enough that it detracts from shooting. I got used to it very quickly. In time I am sure it will get better.

The sights are a folding rear peep sight and a florescent plastic front post. These sights are not the best but serve their purpose very well. Accuracy was good with groups consistently measuring between 1 and 2 inches at 25 yards. Certainly not laser beam accurate but good for the capable range of this gun.

I have shot a total of 450 rounds of ball and hollow point ammunition through this one. Not once have I had any sort of malfunction. I know that is not a lot of ammo but this little gun has actually gained my confidence and I will report if that changes. If needed Keltec customer service is supposed to be superb.

I have seen some people put red dot sights, lasers, lights, rails and all sorts of things on their little Sub 2k rifles. For me the heart of this gun is the light weight and simple approach. I see no reason for all of those gadgets for this one. Save those for your AR. I have made 3 modifications that cost me less then $20.00. First I put one of the Hogue Handall Grip wraps on. This helps the grip immensely and makes it much more comfortable. I also added a strip of Velcro ?loop? tape to the buttstock tube. This makes the cheekweld much more comfortable and certainly better at the range in 20 degree weather. Last I put a piece of heat shrink tubing on the cocking handle just to make it a little easier on the hands when cocking. I find that all of these simple modifications improved the "shootability" of the Sub 2K.

The Keltec Sub 2k is a great little gun if one understands what it can and can?t do. I carry mine all the time and wouldn?t trade it away. For the price of these little guns I would very much recommend one of these. I am happy to say the Keltec Sub 2k is VERY Medium Speed, Moderate Drag.

Sub 2k with small CSM Ass Pack.

The Hogue Grip.

A nice little folding carbine.

A few pictures of the FSB.

The stock tube showing the Velcro loop tape and heat shrink on the charghing handle.

Inside an Eagle A-III.
    Last edited by Todd Kramer; 23 April 2011 at 13:08.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great review Todd. They are fun little guns. I have one stashed under my car seat.
    ________
    Last edited by Todd Kramer; 23 April 2011 at 13:08.