Downloads
    Uploads

Noveske N4 Light Carbine, FSR

Noveske Rifleworks has brought another N4 series weapon online with the use of a new rail. This N4 series carbine carries the same basic attributes that make the N4 basic so appealing, with the addition of a rail which wraps the front sight base (FSB).

Below are the primary features found as listed on the Noveske Rifleworks website.

4.5" Cold Hammer Forged Barrel, 1 in 7" twist, 5.56mm
    --Made of Mil Spec M249 Machine Gun barrel steel, with heavy M249 Chrome Lining,
    (appx. 2 times as thick as an M4 or M16)
    --Extended Feed Ramps
    --Mil Spec Phosphate finish
    --Same weight as M4 barrel, 1 lb, 9 oz, but improved contour for maximum
    rigidity, no M203 notch
    --MP HP tested with certification
    --Carbine length gas system
    --Flash suppressor available permanently installed for non-NFA use (standard option), or removable on SBR and select fire models (call in all NFA weapon orders).
    --Shot peened and MP tested bolt
    --Properly staked carrier key
    --Auto carrier
    --Mil-Spec receiver extension, staked
    --H Buffer
    --Vltor Carbine buttstock
    --Tango Down pistol grip
    --One 30 rd mag included

FSR configuration
    --Flat-top upper receiver
    --9.6" free floated handguard w/ 1913 rails and cuttout for the fixed front sight
    --F marked front sight base
    --Flip-up rear sight
    --6 lbs 12 oz

Downloads
    Uploads
    Starting from the front of the weapon, this carbine is immediately identified as as a Noveske by the unique barrel stampings. The 14.5" barrel is complete with a permanently attached flash suppressor (FS) that is pinned and welded into place, making this a legal 16" barrel. By pinning the FS, this makes for the shortest legal (non-SBR) barrel available, and avoids the 16" barrel plus 1.5" FS that is otherwise used for a similar build.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Following up the barrel we run into the FSB, which is shrouded by the rail. A pinned and fixed Front Sight Base gives maximum durability for any front sight. The extended rail offers additional space, which is useful for pushing a light forward to prevent barrel shadowing. Using different mounts, there were no problems mounting accessories to the rail, which appears well machined and even.

The rail contains anti-rotation Quick Disconnect (QD) points, and in the case of this picture, the Gear Sector GS-2P adjustable two point sling is plugged in. There are two QD mounts on the left, and one on the right of the rail.

Also shown below are the new Tango Down Vertical Fore Grip (VFG) and American Defense MFG (ADM) Aimpoint T-1 mount. The mounts lock in place firmly, and are adjustable without needing tools.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The flip side of the rail shows that it is made to the Noveske Rifleworks specs. If the rail you are looking at is lacking the Noveske crest, its not a Noveske. This image also shows the flip side of the ADM T-1 mount and its adjustment point. By unlocking the lever, and pressing in on it, the screw head is exposed and can be adjusted by fingernail, coin, or similar object, I use my fingers and twist. Once the reverse side lever is locked down, the screw is recessed and unable to rotate due to its flats.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The pistol grip that comes standard on all Noveske N4 carbines is the Tango Down Battle Grip. This grip allows for weather tight storage, and covers the gap behind the trigger guard. Heavy texture should give solid feel in wet conditions for the user.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The lower receiver makes it easy to tell you are holding a Noveske weapon. A single, simple, and easily identifiable logo lets everyone else know as well. The Fire Control Group (FCG) is solid, and clean in its feel. For further info on the smaller internal parts you may also want to read the Noveske N4 carbine review, which is linked at the end.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Identifying a factory Novekse is also easy. While Novekse Rifleworks sells complete uppers, and lowers, that doesn't mean that it came from the factory as a complete weapon. John has made sure that there is no question about what is or is not a complete factory carbine by laser engraving their logo across the upper and lower receiver. The below picture shows what it looks like.

Please note in this picture that my hands were oily, and that I didn't try to even the finish out to look pretty. When viewed in person, the receivers are a clean match, in my picture, it looks worse than it really is. I understand that there are plenty of people who want a Noveske because of its endurance, but I also understand that there are people who will buy them to be collector pieces. I think the collectors will be more than happy with what they get, and I encourage them to get out and shoot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Working around the weapon to the top, you can see that the castle nut is well staked, and that the Novekse badged Troy rear sight in used. The Bolt Carrier Group is the same as it is in the rest of the N4 series, which should keep everyone happy. For more info on that, the N4 basic review should give you additional info based on live fire testing and factory facts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Balancing out the end of the carbine is the Vltor Modstock. This is used in place of a standard ribbed stock. The Modstock gives a QD mount, as well as battery compartments to hold either “AA” batteries, or the CR123 batteries that most weapon mounted lights are now using. The battery storage compartments extend out, and give an increased cheek weld. The compartments are waterproof, and can be removed without removal of the stock. Built into the stock are ambi-quick disconnect mounts to allow for any QD equipped slings to plug in. The battery compartments also make for an substantially increased cheek weld when compared to standard carbine stocks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Much like its siblings in the N4 family, this weapon is well laid out. Where it differs primarily is in the rail space that it gives while still retaining a pinned Front Sight Base. To some people, that might not make a difference, but to others who carry a weapon for a living, and aren't willing to rely on a folding front sight, it gives the best of all worlds. Forward mounting a light to eliminate shadows can make a massive difference to those LEO and MIL who hunt the vermin that come out at night. For everyone else, its a Noveske, and at the end of the day, maybe that was all that really needed to be said.

Would I recommend it to friends? Yes.

Would I issue it to others? I only wish I could.

Would I carry it as my own duty weapon? Without hesitation.

The picture above shows the carbine wearing the following:

Aimpoint Comp M4
    Bobro Comp M4 mount (prototype)
    Tango Down/ ADM VFG
    Gear Sector GS-2P sling

The items installed on this weapon are ones I am currently using for various projects, and are not necessarily carried by Noveske Rifleworks, or even currently available.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For additional information about the weapon, and various items shown in the above pictures, the below links may be of help.

Novekse N4 Light Uppers

Noveske N4 Light Carbines

GS-2P Adjustable 2 Point Sling

Vltor

American Defense MFG

Magpul PMAGS

Tango Down

Bobro Engineering

Aimpoint

Tactical Tailor
    Last edited by Stickman; 18 July 2008 at 19:57.

Downloads
    Uploads