Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question about 14.5" barrel?

all i really have left to do on my AR is get the barrel. it weill be another couple of weeks before i can purchase it but i wanted to ask a question. i know the ATF considers anything shorter than 16" barrel a SBR, which requires registration and a tax stamp. however, i know a 14.5" barrel with a permanently attached flash hider (1.5") is not considered a SBR, thus the registration and tax stamp is not needed. i found a 14.5" barrel on one site and a flash hider that i want on another site.

now, my question is can i legally purchase a 14.5" barrel without mounting it on a rifle until i get the flash hider? once i have the barrel and flash hider i will take it to a gunsmith where it can be permanently attached. i don't know if the ATF regulates the barrels themselves or the rifles with the barrels attached. thanx in advanced.
    I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six. - Anonymous

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes you can purchase a 14.5 barrel without issue. If this is your first rifle I would strongly suggest a 16" The minimal benefits of a 14.5 isn't worth it when you later decide to change rails, front sight posts, or muzzle devices and realize you can't. Take it from someone who once had to unpin and weld something.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i already have a quad rail hand guard and i'll be going with a low pro gas block since i have the magpul mbus sights.

i initially was thinking of the 10.5" SBR route. then i found out all the crap that goes along with the SBR registration and the cost. so i figured the 14.5" with the flash hider was the best way to legally get the shortest rifle possible. i don't know if i've posted my build yet, so here it is so far:

NFA polymer lower
    Adcor Defense A3 upper
    ARD quadrail
    Magpul MBUS sights
    DD CH & foregrip (courtesy of bobincovington!!)
    Vortex Strikefire
    Knights Armament rail covers

total investment including the bolt i just bought is right around $510.

Downloads
    Uploads
    After you put a flash hider/comp on the barrel, the difference between a 14.5 and 16" is negligible. Why do you need the shortest possible barrel? The benefits and flexibility the 16" has over the 14.5 pinned/welded are many.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    You could just see about having the barrel shipped to your gunsmith.

Downloads
    Uploads
    At one time Bushmaster had a 14.5" barrel with a permanently attached Phantom flash hider. I bought the last 2 back then, maybe they still have them? I think ADCO or BCM could help you out as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    To answer your question directly: you may purchase the 14.5 inch barrel and have it shipped to you with no problem.

You do need to ensure that with the flash hider attached, the overall length of the barrel is 16 inches or greater. A standard A2 flash hider falls short of the 16 inches.

There are several companies who can permanently attach it for you. To stay legal, you may build the upper, but you may not attach the upper to the lower until you have the flash hider permanently attached.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The flash hider I want is the Yankee hill machine model 27 zombie. It is at least 1.5" with very aggressive points on the end. I thought it looked awesome and it could possibly double as a self defense tool if the need ever arose.

Sent using TapaTalk app.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i guess i had the name wrong, it's the YHM-27-ZH Annihilator:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pork Chop, is what made you interested in that muzzle device based on appearance and the possiblity it could be used as a self defense tool?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Appearance, length and the fact that it has an aggressive style. The points on the end could be used to possibly break a window, or if the need arose, it could be used as a defensive tool if you were out of ammo or just close enough to your assailant to use it like a bayonet.

Sent using TapaTalk app.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If this is your first rifle, I'd stick to a good flash hider or a comp if that's what you prefer. I carry a rifle daily for work, and have never needed to use my rifle to break a window or bayonet anyone. Get a good barrel and hit the range.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    If this is your first rifle, I'd stick to a good flash hider or a comp if that's what you prefer. I carry a rifle daily for work, and have never needed to use my rifle to break a window or bayonet anyone. Get a good barrel and hit the range.
    i was thinking more like "SHTF" type situations.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It doesn't seem to me that going for a bit shorter, slicker barrel, then adding a FH that will catch on absolutely everything are congruent ideas.