Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Complete Newb Here

So as the title states I'm a complete newby to the AR world. Always shot pistols and shotguns for the most part. The AR was always that awesome gun on the "man it's be cool to own one of those". Well me and a buddy went shooting the other day and shot an AR for the first time. Needless to say I'm hooked already. Just looking for some friendly advice. Everything I seem to find and read is geared towards people already "in the know". Thought about building but decided that's probably too much to start with but even complete guns there is just SO MUCH it's hard to know where to even start. So like I said just looking for some friendly advice on maybe what to get and where to start. I'm working with $800-$1000. Thanks for any input

Downloads
    Uploads
    You can't go wrong with any rifle from Daniel Defense, BCM, Colt, Noveske, and LMT. I'd read this article to help.
    Last edited by Deckard; 21 November 2012 at 22:10.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i love the LMT rifles. wish i could afford them!!
    I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six. - Anonymous

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for that article. Also I forgot to mention the use of the gun will mainly just be shooting around with friends and taking care of some of the annoying creatures I get to deal with living in the sticks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Based on what you've said for uses, I recommend looking at Palmetto State Armory as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome to the forum Nicholsonmotorsports. Thanks for posting. Given your budget and plans for an AR, I suggest getting a base AR, whether 16" carbine with a mild-length (my first choice) or carbine gas system or 20" rifle. For the money you quoted, I would purchase complete upper and lowers (as separate components, i.e., not a complete carbine or rifle) from BCM, here. They are frequently "out-of-stock" and there's a reason for that: their components and assembly are first-rate and they work very well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For a 1k budget, I'd go get a Colt 6920 (the Gold standard). If you don't end up liking it, you can get our money back out of Colt, I can't say the same for some other brands out there. In fact you can get a 6920 these days at Wally World.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would also look at Rainier for a complete RUC or mating one of thier custom uppers to a lower of your choice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for all the information. The problem with the "your choice" is I still havnt the slightest idea what that would be lol. I'm trying to research as much as I can before I buy. I was all about building it just for the simple fact of I enjoy building things, think it would be cool, and get a real insight as how they go together. I'm just afraid it'd be too much or I'd end up buying cheap (not to be confused with inexpensive) components.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Which is why I suggested the Colt 6920. If I was starting all over again with 1 rifle. I'd get a Colt 6720, which is the same but has the lightweight barrel. Colt is the standard. That way you can start with a quality weapon before you decide what else you want or need based on what your shooting needs are.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree, if I could do it all over again I would have gotten a Colt 6720. Instead I built my own without planning. The rifle I built is great because I stuck to companies I posted above but in the end I spent way more money when I could have just paid once.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks again for all the info and advice. I'm gunna go browse the local gun shops tomorrow and see what their selection is. I know they have quite a few just don't know the models they have.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You're not alone, Nicholsonmotorsports. I'm a noob too but decided to build my own. It didn't appear difficult and has, so far, proven not to be difficult. It's allowed me to "hide" the expenditure from the wife by spreading it over a few weeks and 2 credit card statements, so it made sense for me. And, it's been an excuse to buy tools. This will no doubt lead to building more. It's fun.

By the way....are you affiliated in anyway with Nicholson's in Ann Arbor, MI??

Downloads
    Uploads
    Haha yea everything you just said was reasons I was looking to build also but like I said I am just afraid ill buy cheap components. And as far as MI not that I know of I'm down south in TN.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Agreed above, if you wish to purchase a complete rifle instead of building something, a Colt 6720 or 6920 are outstanding.