Downloads
    Uploads

VLTOR A5 on 16 inch mid-length?

Lot's of info on the A5 with SBRs, but I'm interested in putting a standard VLTOR A5 buffer assembly on my Noveske Light Recce Basic (16 inch barrel, mid-length gas system). I'll use the standard iMod stock that came with the rifle. I shoot mostly PMC Bronze. That ammo is utterly reliable on that rifle as it is, but I'm interested to hear any experience about the appropriate buffer weight for the A5 on a Noveske mid-length.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I do not have an A5, but based on what I have heard and read, I would certainly start with the standard buffer. I can't see needing a heavier one in that system. Are you trying to accomplish anything specific?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I do not have an A5, but based on what I have heard and read, I would certainly start with the standard buffer. I can't see needing a heavier one in that system. Are you trying to accomplish anything specific?
    Only trying to accomplish the much-touted reduction of felt recoil while retaining reliable BCG function with my customary PMC Bronze ammo. Certainly the recoil on my rifle isn't even close to being brutal, but I'd do the A5 if it enhances controllability as advertised without sacrificing reliability on my particular rifle. The whole relationship between gas system length, gas port size, and buffer system has a lot of variables to it and I'm just looking for any experience out there that might relate to my specific rifle. I do have an email into Noveske, but I don't know how long that reply might take. I'm not averse to experimenting with buffer weights but I have a TriCon course coming up and I'm a little short on time to do a lot of tinkering beforehand. If others' experience indicates some complications to be likely on this setup, I'll just wait til after the course.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It'll run. I have a 16 middy with the A5 system + Standard A5 buffer and spring. Ran an H2 prior to the switch. I do run a battle comp so I cannot speak of the controllability factor but I did notice that the H2 cycled heavier, whereas, the A5 feels smoother and more positive if you will.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I appreciate the observations. Noveske got back to me very promptly and the email left me pretty confident that the system should run well with the stock A5. Gonna break out the Hammerhead and have at it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Only known hiccups are shortening a 16" middy to lengths around 14.5" - the A5 should shine on a midlength 16", especially with the light Recce barrel.
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I appreciate the observations. Noveske got back to me very promptly and the email left me pretty confident that the system should run well with the stock A5. Gonna break out the Hammerhead and have at it.

HMAC, would you mind pasting Noveske's email? I have a noveske 16" light recce mid-length and I am very curios about the A5 system as well. Thanks in advance.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I used their "contact us" form on their website at http://noveskerifleworks.com/contact/. They responded, tersely but informatively, within hours.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I haven't had a ton of rounds through either, but I've tried my A5 with the "A3" weight (medium) on an Armalite 16" midlength and standard 55gr Remingtons with no issues, and on a 16" LWRC middy in 6.8. I also just recently built a 14.5" midlength 6.8 for a friend using the standard A5, no issues so far and upwards of 1k rounds. I have heard the 14.5" 5.56 middys can have some issues, and it was my understanding that Vltor was going to make a specific buffer just for that setup (14.5" 5.56 midlength).

A5's go in all my builds now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just installed a standard A5 in my Noveske Light Recce...straightforward RE install as expected. I'm a little inhibited about going out to shoot it since bow season is open, gonna wait until I can get to the range.

As expected from a longer RE, a standard VLTOR iMod on the A5 doesn't close all the way to the endplate, which is no big deal since I never shoot it with that short a length of pull anyway. Like all the VLTOR receiver extensions, the A5 extension has numbers on the top that indicate stock position through the little window on top of the iMod.
    Last edited by Hmac; 24 September 2011 at 14:08.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Would anyone happen to know how many oz.'s the VLTOR A5 weighs in at?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by VictorMikeLima View Post
    Would anyone happen to know how many oz.'s the VLTOR A5 weighs in at?
    On the Vltor site it has, "1 lb 10.7 oz. (complete kit and all mounting hardware)". I think I'm going to get one for my 16" middy, if anyone tries it out keep us posted. The only thing is I've gotten use to a longer LOP, and the A5 only moves out to 12.5" whereas the Carbine EMOD goes to 14.75". Decisions decisions....

Also I know I'm resurrecting an oldie but there is so much one the A5 on longer and shorter systems, I want to know what came of these guys last year that were looking at one for the 16" mid.

-M. Whitney

Downloads
    Uploads
    The A5 will give you 3/4" longer LOP than a standard carbine.

The standard A5 kit runs with any upper that will work on a rifle lower, of everything I have tested at least.