Downloads
    Uploads

Training in the LA/Orange County area.

I'm thinking of taking a carbine class and was looking for some recommendations of good instructors/classes in the LA/OC area. I've never fired a rifle larger than .22lr and never had any formal firearm training. I also have a bb on my rifle and don't know if this will be an issue. Lastly do I need a chest rig or a gun belt for these classes?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Falcon Operations Group

http://falconops.net/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
    I'm thinking of taking a carbine class and was looking for some recommendations of good instructors/classes in the LA/OC area. I've never fired a rifle larger than .22lr and never had any formal firearm training. I also have a bb on my rifle and don't know if this will be an issue. Lastly do I need a chest rig or a gun belt for these classes?
    As far as your other inquiries, set up a featureless rifle or just play by big boy rules if you know what I'm saying. Or simply drive out of state for some classes.

Usually a belt with a couple spare mags is sufficient for basic carbine classes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know this is a few months old but consider ITTS,

http://www.internationaltactical.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks tac40 I'll look into it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This might be more appropriate in the gear section but I don't want to clutter the forum up with noob threads,

I was wondering if a riggers belt with an Esstac KYWI and Pistol Mag Pouch that holds two pistol mags and one AR mag would be a sufficient option for a pistol class that requires 250 - 500 rounds? The belt is 1.75", I'm not sure how the pouches fit.

I don't what to invest heavily in gear without knowing what I need or how to configure it. This seems like a good way to get started.

Should probably ask the instructor but thanks for any input.
    Last edited by Deckard; 26 May 2013 at 15:04.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
    This might be more appropriate in the gear section but I don't want to clutter the forum up with noob threads,

I was wondering if a riggers belt with an Esstac KYWI and Pistol Mag Pouch that holds two pistol mags and one AR mag would be a sufficient option for a pistol class that requires 250 - 500 rounds? The belt is 1.75", I'm not sure how the pouches fit.

I don't what to invest heavily in gear without knowing what I need or how to configure it. This seems like a good way to get started.

Should probably ask the instructor but thanks for any input.
    It really depends on what the requirement for the class is. Usually you'll find a minimum magazine listing for either rifle or pistol. When I see these, I read them as this is how many you need on your person. I may bring more magazines, but I plan on having that many on me at any one time. Usually 4-5 is the magic number for the few classes I've taken (3-4 +1 in the gun).

For two-gun type classes, I like to run a belt with pistol mags and a very simple chest rig for AR mags. It's still easy to move around in the various positions, but I can carry 4 of each kind of magazine, plus one in each gun (plus a drop bag on the belt).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks gatordev, the class listed 3 minimum and 5 recommended. I picked up an esstac triple pouch for the class.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I recently took a class with Stan Lee of the academy of st crispian out at angeles shooting range for carbine 101 & 202. Great prices and overall enjoyed the class. I bought a cheap chest rig by condor and it worked fine. Its probably still going for around $40 at lapolicegear.com.

http://www.stcrispian.com/

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Eric I'll look into it. You should write an AAR.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Oh View Post
    I recently took a class with Stan Lee of the academy of st crispian out at angeles shooting range for carbine 101 & 202. Great prices and overall enjoyed the class. I bought a cheap chest rig by condor and it worked fine. Its probably still going for around $40 at lapolicegear.com.

http://www.stcrispian.com/

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    I missed this post...

+1 on this suggestion. I did a two day pistol 101/102 and Carbine 101/102 combined class with Stan and enjoyed it. It was safe, well-taught (he had his hands full with a teenager there with her dad trying to run a Glock for one of the classes), and had some good drills to help with the fundamentals. He also does a two-man drill in the pistol or carbine 102 class where you advance on a target. The way he did it seemed safe and controlled while still allowing you to work with another guy while on the move. For $300 (I think it might have been less than that since I combined them), it was a great value and I learned stuff.

One more thing I meant to mentioned earlier... If you own "rebuilds" (or "legal" >10 round rifle mags), definitely bring them, even if you're not running a featurless setup. I've found that there's very little interest in worrying about each person's gear and more concern about getting on with the training, even in CA. That's after having done several classes here (Stan's as well as Magpul's). It's big-boy rules and everyone has been pretty cool, if you catch my drift.