Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEWBY

Downloads
    Uploads

Question NEWBY

good evening
    I am new to the AR15 world and am starting my first build. I have my lower and upper and managed to snag one of the magpul UBR stocks that magpul has not actually announced a release date for. I am now looking at barrels. Can someone tell me if there is a minimum legal length? Also what constitutes a good barrel and can someone recommend some brands. Also is there anything in particular I am looking for when it comes to the bolt? Thanks for any advice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A barrel has to be at least 16 inches long, unless you attach a muzzle brake, flash suppressor or fake silencer/suppressor. The most common of one shorter than 16 inches is the 14.5 inch barrel with a permanently attached Phantom or Vortex flash suppressor.

You can get a Short Barrel Rifle if it is legal in your state and you apply for and get a $200 tax stamp from the BATFE.

As far as the "best" barrel that's very very subjetive and I wouldn't try to tell you which one was "best".

TS

Downloads
    Uploads
    thanks for the info. It was helpful.

Downloads
    Uploads

noveske?

I have been looking around at the Noveske barrels. I was thinking about one of their 14.5 barrels with one of their flash suppressors. I was interested in the KX3 Flash Suppressor but it does not say that it is intended as a permanent suppressor but does state that it is recommended for short barrel rifles....

Downloads
    Uploads
    They can be permanently attached, and I think you can go down to a 13.something or maybe even 12.something with it.
    As far as good barrels, it depends a lot on what you want to do and what your expectations are. Noveskes are great, as are Shilen. For some factory Colt, Bushmaster, CMMG, or similar are just fine. Stay with some of the major names and you should be fine. You just need to figure out SS/chrome, 1:7, 1:8, 1:9, etc.
    Also be advised that without going SBR, you will limit some of your rail options unless you want to remove your muzzle device. That's not bad per se; there are some very good rail options that don't require removal of the FSB for installation.
    Welcome to the site.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the welcome. Okay, after the research I have done I think I am going for a 1:9 chrome barrel. Since I am new to this what does SBR and FSB mean?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Short Barreled Rifle
    Front Sight Base

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have seen a 14.5 w/ perm flash hiders advertised as having a two piece FSB that is removable... I'll see if I can google it so i can provide more info.
    "I’m an average nobody, I get to live the rest of my life like a schnook."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by clayart View Post
    I have been looking around at the Noveske barrels. I was thinking about one of their 14.5 barrels with one of their flash suppressors. I was interested in the KX3 Flash Suppressor but it does not say that it is intended as a permanent suppressor but does state that it is recommended for short barrel rifles....

If you go that route, you can go with a 13.7" barrel if I remember correctly and have the KX3 attached, which brings it out to a legal 16".

Downloads
    Uploads
    I read in another post on this site that the 13.7 are noisier and you lose accuracy when compared to a 14.5 or 16....is that correct? Also what about bolt carrier group. I have a VLTOR upper and was looking at their bolts.
    One more question for now....what does the designation M4 mean?
    thanks again everybody!

Downloads
    Uploads
    The shorted a barrel is, the louder it is. You lose velocity with a shorter barrel which cuts down its lethal range and that also means the bullet drops faster that it would out of a 14.5 or 16 inch barrel. So accuracy is not necessarily affected but the point of impact is compared to a 14.5 or 16 inch barrel. There are lots of good bolt carrier groups out there and Stickman has a great guide to them here.

M4 simply means Model Four.

I hope that helped somewhat,

TS

Downloads
    Uploads
    it helped very much. I am off to check out stickman's guide

Downloads
    Uploads
    what does 1⁄2 X 28 TPI mean in reference to a Noveske barrel I found on Rainier arms website. I think I have settled on the Young MFG Lite chrome BCG?? not for any particular reason other than any reviews I have read have been good.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by clayart View Post
    what does 1⁄2 X 28 TPI mean in reference to a Noveske barrel I found on Rainier arms website. I think I have settled on the Young MFG Lite chrome BCG?? not for any particular reason other than any reviews I have read have been good.

1/2x28 refers to the threads on the end of the barrel. TPI= Threads Per Inch.

The Young BCG is fine, as are others.

Downloads
    Uploads
    my new question is,....and this was not a concern at first,...but am I going to run into a problem with a VLTOR upper and a DPMS lowe. I bought the lower at a local gun show.